Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
omnilux

Galloping

Hello,

Wondering if there are any good exercises for galloping? Like the type in Battery by Metallica. Or should I just practice the main riff (slowly) until I get it. My issue is, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be doing a picking motion with the pick, or more of a "scratching" motion. If that makes sense.

Thanks
omnilux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

I don't really understand what you mean with the picking motion thing but yes the best way to get the hang of it is indeed play songs that contain the technique at a pace you can handle easily.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
soundgarden6742

Always practice slowly until you get it. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS. Otherwise it will sound like complete shit when you up the tempo. Nothing special like scratching, just play the riff at a bpm that works for you and don't dare raise it until you can play it clean.
soundgarden6742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
TwoPlusTwo

The trooper, run to the hills, a bunch of iron maiden songs have gallops.
TwoPlusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

Practice practice practice!

I have always started with a downstroke on my gallops. Always meant to learn to start on upstrokes as well for the fastest possible gallops. However, I don't do that yet.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:06 AM   #6
socrfb

For gallops you're actually picking. I actually remember Mark Tremonti saying that when he was in school he would just sit there and draw an "n" (not sure if he meant capitalized) as fast as he could to work on his gallops at school (if that helps you picture the motion a bit better). Not sure how much that helps.
socrfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:07 AM   #7
brandon2784
UG's Oli Herbert wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrfb
For gallops you're actually picking. I actually remember Mark Tremonti saying that when he was in school he would just sit there and draw an "n" (not sure if he meant capitalized) as fast as he could to work on his gallops at school (if that helps you picture the motion a bit better). Not sure how much that helps.

Wow, that's pretty interesting!

-Emil Werstler

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

brandon2784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
Bussell

I practice the gallops on Raining Blood by Slayer. (They're just palm muted 0's, on the E string.), then moved on to harder ones, and gallops on different strings and kept working from there
Bussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
bondmorkret

Try playing alternating between on the beat gallops (think Raining Blood) and off the beat gallops, (think Battery), 1 bar of each. Go at slow non-thrash tempos initially, then build it up with a metronome
Old 04-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #10
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

Since everyone else has already covered proper practice I'll just give you some riffs to practice slowly on. I got my gallops up to snuff by playing the main riffs to "Rain" & "Suffocating Sight" by Trivium. Another good one is the opening to "Into the Pit" by Testament. That one will also help practice your string skipping.
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #11
fanapathy
B-Tuned

Yeah, play the shit out of your favorite gallop riffs. I think it's good to play riffs which has more than just gallops so that you learn to control to play for example exactly 5,6,7 etc notes as well - such as lots of Fear Factory stuff or the pre-solo riffs in One (Metallica).
When you accurately learn to play these more varied fast PM stretches, then regular gallops such as in Raining Blood will be super easy.

Oh and of course, like mentioned, Trivium is just amazing for your riffing skills as well

This guy explains some stuff that might be relevant to OP
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #12
omnilux

Thanks again everyone for all the information.

UG FTW.
omnilux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
socrfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon2784
Wow, that's pretty interesting!

Ya, thinking about it again I'm pretty sure he meant "N" because if you take that exact motion and pick it, it'd be DUD, but an "n" would be UDU. I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to practice both ways though, maybe galloping with economy picking would result in you sometimes starting with an upstroke.
socrfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #14
blunderwonder

I just watched that video. Its wild, in general i dont listen to any metal, i just prefer other music to it, but after watching that video, i kind of want to be able to play it anyway lol....

i saw the posters topic ofc, and i think at least on acoustic guitar if i try to play something like that, between what people would refer to economy picking, and with the palm muting, at that kind of speed its sort of difficult to think of that in any other way than scratching. When i do it, my pick never gets far enough away from the string for me to think of it as plucking the string
blunderwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #15
soundgarden6742

Everyone is giving good examples of songs with chugging, but I encourage you to make your own riffs!
soundgarden6742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #16
J_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgarden6742
Everyone is giving good examples of songs with chugging, but I encourage you to make your own riffs!

When I was learning palm muting, I would sit there crunching open E in as many ways as I could come up with. It really helped my metal riffing in the long run.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: