Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Leat
UG Freak

Lightbulb Music Creation with Android

Hello everyone, I have always wanted, since Garageband was available for apple products, to create music on a device as small as an iPod touch, however I am personally not an apple fan, what with all the limitations they put on their products, since I believe in freedom of expression, and while Apple allows some freedom, they limit a lot of things.

I've recently dug into my new Android Galaxy Proclaim from Net10 to experiment with creating music on just my phone, rather than having to sit at my computer all day.

This is what I've come up with so far:

https://soundcloud.com/d4v1d5hu13r/...wip-at-fredonia

The only thing I am lacking now is an app with piano roll AND real sounding instruments. I played with the demo for Pocketband, aka Pocketband Lite. The sounds coming from the app sounded very cheesy, and thus, makes me NOT want to spend the 10 bucks on an app designed, yet again, for electronica creating artists. While I do enjoy electronic music, I do not create it.

So, upon my final point, is does anyone know if there are any good apps on the android market that I can use to create virtual instrument loops, export as a wav file, and with instruments that sound real? Also needs a piano roll!

Thanks in advance, and hope you enjoy the Work In Progress I'm making with my phone. =]
Old 03-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Why would you create music on such a device? The cpu and memory is incredibly limited.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Android just doesn't have the hardware support for sound that iOS does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
Leat
UG Freak

Well

1. I don't want an iPhone
2. I own an Android device, which is also my phone
3. As you can see, it's not impossible to do music creation on Android
4. I don't want to carry more than 1 device
5. Just because it's limited, doesn't mean it's not possible

I'm not asking for a full fledged DAW like Cakewalk or ProTools. I have Electrum, for my drum creations, which the developer kindly added 24 bit wave support for the samples you can load. I use Audio Evolution Mobile for my audio recording/editing. It's quite powerful for what it does.

I'm lacking one thing, an app that can load samples, like Electrum, but instead of a drum machine, I'd like a piano roll sequencer, but Pocketband's sound quality for the Virtual Instruments just doesn't cut it for me.

Would you consider an iPod Touch 1st gen for 85 bucks a good deal?

Last edited by Leat : 03-13-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Leat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

I'm not anti-android, I use an S3 myself.

But the point still stands, Android just doesn't support the same kinda audio production stuff that iOS can. It's just one of those things you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
I'm not anti-android, I use an S3 myself.

But the point still stands, Android just doesn't support the same kinda audio production stuff that iOS can. It's just one of those things you know.

I'm a hardcore Apple hater, I despise the company and their products....but you'e 100% right.

At a core level, Android has had literally no support for low-latency audio. As in, you can't do it.

You're talking over 100ms delay minimum, which is why even silly little keyboard and drum apps are so unsatisfying to mess with on Android devices.

In Jelly Bean and beyond they seem to be finally putting time into audio latency, and Sonoma Wire Works also have their own solution they're offering to OEMs. Right now though don't expect to do anything audio-related on Android without a significant and noticeable delay.

There is one utterly wonderful application that I've had a lot of fun with.....Chordbot.

It's loads of fun to play with, and also very useful. You can create song mockups/backing tracks that sound pretty damned good, and it's a hugely useful tool for writing songs even when you don't have a guitar around. Try the free version and I bet you'll end up buying the full one.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound

Last edited by kyle62 : 03-13-2013 at 03:34 PM.
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: