Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-13-2014, 08:17 PM   #21
Kyleisthename

I have a mute and use it to fret harmonics.
Also, they come in handy with 2 hand tapping phrases.

I use a hair tie that I cut and melted together on the backside of the neck

The Youtubes

Last edited by Kyleisthename : 02-13-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Kyleisthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:22 PM   #22
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackovSlayer
Yes, of course, in the studio it's a normal thing to use stuff on the fretboard to mute strings to get the best sounding performance. But people do use stuff to kill vibrations behind the nut, there's a lot of videos on youtube of people doing that, try finding some, Gruvgear Fretwrap that Zaphod mentioned in earlier post is often used for that.

I guess its a same effect as muting the springs on Floyd? Its subtle but there is some ringing in there?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #23
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
I guess its a same effect as muting the springs on Floyd? Its subtle but there is some ringing in there?

Yeah, I guess. I don't do it and I don't feel like there is a need for it, but some people do it all the time. I don't know, maybe they are just too petty.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #24
edcancel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vypor
Don't let these guys make you feel like using a dampener is "cheating" - that is nonsense.

I personally just like the sound, and even when its present there is still an audible difference between palm muting and open strumming.

Use whatever works, whether it be a really small hair band or a piece of shoe string. The smaller the better, usually. If the hairbands you are trying to use are too big, you can add a paper clip and hook the back of the band to the machine heads on the back of the headstock.

Using the same logic, you could say that using a whammy bar is cheating. You could say that using effects is cheating. You could say that using a Floyd Rose to keep your strings in tune is cheating. Using a tuner instead of tuning by ear is cheating. Using a pick instead of your fingers/finger nails is cheating. Using different tunings is cheating. Using a capo is cheating. Aside from having something else play the guitar for you, there is no real way to "cheat" when playing guitar. It's really all about your personal preference. If you like it, go for it, if you don't - then don't.

Its as simple as that.

Well said friend! My thought exactly!
edcancel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:32 AM   #25
realsmoky

Can somebody tell me what this guy is using? What material it's made of and stuff?
realsmoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #26
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by realsmoky

Can somebody tell me what this guy is using? What material it's made of and stuff?

tape.

Most players who use dampeners do so on the "live" part of the strings to dampen open strings when they're doing two-handed tapping. The fact that some of the best players on the planet do it would suggest that it's not exactly cheating but more of an advanced technique and that it should be viewed with more of an eye to improving one's own playing.

The folks that mute strings above the nut (and who prevent Floyd springs from ringing) aren't being "petty," but have evidently been hearing something that others don't. Just because you don't hear it and don't feel a need for it certainly doesn't warrant a judgmental reaction.

"Using one of these live makes you look like a chump" suggests that show is more important than go to you. I just can't find the words... But I'm guessing that this person has opinions on the right kind of guyliner to use as well.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:23 PM   #27
stormin1155

Muting? Blocking? That's for sissys! If that string is getting in your way, do like Keif.... man up and take the damn thing off! When you need that string your roadie will give you another guitar.

stormin1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #28
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Muting other strings with a hair band over the fretboard to eliminate string noise is relying on a crutch imo. A good guitar player can keep any strings that are not being played silent. It's just a matter of executing good technique and working out ways to mute all the adjacent strings no matter what you're playing.

I can understand having a hair band between the machine heads and the nut though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnyc
Batio sells a special mute that attaches to the guitar and can be flipped into place during a song.

MAB is an exceptional case. The reason he uses them is because when he does those double guitar solos, he doesn't have his picking hand to mute any adjacent strings as he is tapping, because he's using that other hand to play on another neck. It is actually impossible to keep strings silent without a mute helping him.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 03-04-2014 at 02:38 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: