"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
Maximus_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #23
Virgman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommystitch
Hello people,

I have 600 to spent on a new guitar. While my guitarskills are not developed enough to call myself a professional, I'm rather confused about the lots of different models guitar manufacturers come up with.

I was in a guitarshop yesterday, and played 3 telecaster: one of the more expensive Squier models, a Mexican one, and a cheapish USA made one. For me, they all played, and sounded the same. Except that the volume and tone knob on the Squier felt a bit cheap, and not as sturdy as the other 2.

What is the main difference between them, and is it worth it, to spend the 200 more on a USA one? I'm planning to keep this guitar for a longer period of time, so I want to have fun on it in a couple of years as well.

ThankS!

Squiers have cheaper parts generally but there are differences between models. All Squiers are Asian made (China, Indonesia, India, Pakistan, you name it. Some really cheap Squiers like Affinities may have plywood bodies. Pickups are cheaper but may still sound good.

The difference between MIM and MIA Fenders is about 20 miles. The MIM are made in Mexico by Mexicans and the MIA are made in the USA by Mexicans.
Is it worth it to spend more money for a USA Fender? Only if you want the name USA made on the headstock.

Last edited by Virgman : 01-06-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Virgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #24
evmac
Baroness Lover

I find the fretwork on the Squiers and a lot MiM Fender to be lacking. Sharp and uneven frets on any guitar are a deal-breaker for me. The Classic Vibes don't have his problem however, so I always recommend them to people on a budget.
evmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #25
GeetarGal

I found this youtube video where they talk about this exact thing, and then play each instrument. You might want to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnUuUjqHEMU
GeetarGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:39 AM   #26
samuraigoomba

Dammit not another Chappers video. >:0

The difference between a cheap Squier and a Mexi strat is night and day. Classic Vibe Squiers are a lot closer to MIM Fender guitars. Some even prefer Squier Classic Vibe. But a standard Squier is usually a poor instrument.

The price you pay for a guitar usually reflects its quality decently, especially on the used market. There are some bargains to be had out there, of course. I happen to think Tokai make some brilliant strats for the price on the used market.

There are no shortage of people to argue that a cheap guitar is just as good as the guitar that costs three times as much. Most of the time, they'd just flat-out wrong.

Whether or not the price difference is worth the difference in quality is another question entirely, and a personal one, at that. I happen to feel a $250 used MIM beats the hell out of a $100 Squier.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:19 PM   #27
Spud Spudly
Semi-hollow

Either go for max value or max quality, not in between. I have a MIM Tele and an American Standard Strat. The American Standard is better in almost every way. It's hard to think of one thing that isn't better. If I were you I'd get the classic vibe and save up so if I wanted to upgrade later I could get a good American Telecaster. I know my next purchase is going to be an American Standard Telecaster. There's a huge difference in my experience.
Spud Spudly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:55 PM   #28
richards-keith

This is a good thread, top marks for the person starting this one because I have been mulling over these very questions myself the last few days. I used to play guitar, i'll be honest and say I haven't played in a good few years but just recently I have developed a hankering for maybe starting again, just for my own entertainment and amusement. I'm not planning on playing live, I really don't believe my local community needs subjecting to that.

Anyway, to the point. Now when I first starting to learn the guitar would you believe the very first Squires had just hit the market, or been out a year or two but certainly no longer. I can remember the stir these guitars caused at the time, these guitars were viewed as very top quality professional level instruments at quite a bit more reasonable cost than a Fender. We can thank Tokai for the having these instruments being introduced in the first place. Back then there was the real thing, i.e. Fender, or these really nasty cheap awful strat, tele, copies. Everyone aspired to a Fender, very few could actually afford one. Then Tokai came along and brought out these copies that cost quite a bit more than the cheap nasty copies but much less then the real deal, importantly though, quality wise there were every bit as good as a genuine Fender. Now aspiring players had a real choice, instead of having to make do with a shoddy copy they could save up for a further six months or whatever and have something that looked, felt, and sounded like the real deal. They also started to affect Fender sales as well because around this time Fender had been having a few issues getting quality control right, i.e. it wasn't always bang on. Because Tokai were all over quality control like a rash you ended up with a lot of pros buying Tokai's as well, I do believe my user-name sake had one at one point. Fender thought they were missing a trick here so decided to take them on at their own game, hence the very first Squire's were born. These were never designed to be cheap, beginner level guitars, they were designed to be high quality versions of classic Fender guitars. Of course Fender banked on the fact that there would always be that sector of the clientele that would want the Fender name emblazoned on the headstock and the prestige of owning an American made instrument. They weren't wrong about that. But the customers now had a real choice. Also with the Japanese being the Japanese words like half a job or lesser quality obviously didn't translate into Japanese at all and the subsequent instruments at the time were considered to be every bit as good, or better according to some, as the American made versions.

This I still why when I think of the name Squire I think of high quality versions of the American classics. I owned several Japanese Squires in the past and they were very fine quality instruments. This is why I was a tad disappointed to see how far the Squire name had sunk too when I started looking around at guitars and starting doing some research. In my humble opinion Fender seems to have lost their way a little bit in recent times. I have been doing a lot of research on the different models available and if I'm honest I'm still struggling to get my head around it all, Fenders now seem to be made all over the place and it's very difficult to know which is which and where they come from, this is even with Fender badged products and not just Squire branded products. I saw a second hand Fender Strat (not Squire) for sale the other day that was made in Korea. I'm sure it may well be an ok instrument but I think Fender have harmed their own reputation by diminishing the product identity. The Japanese range of Fender guitars had acquired a formidable reputation amongst guitarists and you still had the option of going for the exclusivity of the American products if that appealed. Now it seems that some Fenders are still made in Japan but which ones I don't know and you don't seem to be able to order one, they are done in batches in if your local music store has one than all well and good. There is apparently two grades of instrument even if you buy one made in the States, the top of the range (and I'm not talking custom shop here) and the made in USA but not quite so top of the range models. Allied to this is the fact that Fender USA still seem to have quality control problems from the reviews I've read, a Ritchie Blackmore Strat being delivered not set up properly and the frets not being fitted properly. A customer own Fender's own forum complaining about there being wood filler in his premium level USA strat. Wood filler in the body is an old problem I seem to remember from the days when Fender had real problems with quality control. On the other hand every single review I have read about the Squire Classic Vibes, be it a customer review or a music publication review, seem to say what an awesome instrument it is regardless of it's place in the Fender hierarchy of guitars. It's worth noting that these instruments retail at about 310-320 in the UK so they aren't dirt cheap rubbish, but clearly they do suffer from a perception of it's a Squire so therefore a crappy little beginner guitar. The thing with any guitar though, and the one thing that price can't account for, is that some pieces of wood just naturally resonate and sing and others are just a dead plank no matter how much it cost. This is one of the reasons I have always preferred to buy second hand guitars where possible, they will have either settled down and become a nice playing, nice sounding instrument or they will never have quite lived up to expectations. I think once you get over a certain price point all of this starts to become very subjective. Let's be honest though, people say the classic vibe can't be as good as a real Fender but if you've just spent 1200 on a new USA strat or tele and it doesn't really sound or play any better than your mate's 300 classic vibe you are not exactly going to admit it, you'll argue till it's next xmas that yours is better.

OK, so where I have gone with all this waffle? I think I have come to two/three conclusions, Fender don't really know how to market themselves anymore, they are trying too hard to compete at every area of the market, it seems they want to have a guitar at every single price point in the market from 150 to 2500 and as a result the brand image has suffered and has confused the products image, it used to be that you knew exactly what you were getting with a fender but I don't think that's the case anymore. There is way too many models, certainly way too many signature models from players who don't really deserve one. I have got well confused over the last week or two trying to decide which model I should get, at the moment I think I may just have a look round for a nice played in Classic Vibe Squire Strat, i'll try one out and make up my own mind but so far all the comments have been universal in their praise which I can't say about the rest of the Fender range, if I buy second hand i'll be able to know immediately if it's settled down become a solid player, I don't much care if other people think I have a lesser guitar in the range, Fender themselves have muddied the water so much in their own yard that I think it's difficult to know with Fender anymore which is the best buy, the only model that I have not heard a negative word against has been the Classic Vibe, and I don't mean that in the context of it's price point, I just haven't heard ay bad words about it.

Sorry to bore you all to death for so long, I just wanted to share my thoughts after being away for a long time and then coming back and viewing the whole market with fresh eyes. Thanks for listening.
richards-keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:19 AM   #29
samuraigoomba

You always have the option to go on Ebay and buy one of those vintage MIJ Squiers/Tokais.

I highly recommend this approach.

For the price, I'm of the opinion that MIJ strats can't be beat.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:44 AM   #30
Ippon
Amped

I love the MIJ Squier JV (Export and Domestic) and SQ series. The short-lived MIK Squier ProTones (all Ash bodies) are also very nice.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:06 AM   #31
richards-keith

Yes that's what I'm planning to do, there seems to be a pretty regular turnover of them so something will come along if I keep my eyes open.
richards-keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:50 AM   #32
MegadethFan18
Judge Shredd

Location: Like I died and went to heaven but they realised it wasn't my time so they sent me to a brewery
Great read richards-keith very insightful. I agree with a lot of what you said.
MegadethFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: