Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #21
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Yeah, I agree with these, at least for the most part. He was in the control room and appeared nervous about the drum sound. I expect he could hear for himself that they were going to need a lot of help.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #22
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Haha.... went back to the session and got the original files before we screwed around with tuning the drums.

Here is what they sounded like on the first go: (no EQ or compression - just a bit of panning and leveling)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwM...G13ak5TUms/edit

Yeah, that drum in the right speaker is a floor tom. The one on the left is the first tom - the one I momentarily thought was a snare drum with the lever off.

FML

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:

Last edited by axemanchris : 01-16-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #23
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Honestly, I thought the original drums (without sample replacement) sounded much better. I'm sure it fits in context of the mix but the original drums sounded nice, just a bit jazzy and not hit hard enough.

On a side note, that is the most generic 'sloppy 17 year old' drumming I've ever heard

EDIT: Oh my god, just heard the original drum tuning. Jesus Christ! I feel for you Chris, I really do

Those toms sound like the weird computerised bits in Bonzo's Montreaux (skip to 1:30):

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound

Last edited by kyle62 : 01-17-2013 at 08:46 AM.
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #24
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
Honestly, I thought the original drums (without sample replacement) sounded much better. I'm sure it fits in context of the mix but the original drums sounded nice, just a bit jazzy and not hit hard enough.

Fair point. Lots of times, a sound that you would never use on its own is the one that fits perfectly into the context of a mix. This guy was going for a Silversun Pickups kind of sound. Ironically, he said he wanted a nice tight kick.... but he didn't have one.

Quote:
On a side note, that is the most generic 'sloppy 17 year old' drumming I've ever heard

It wasn't a track - it was just "play something and let's check sounds and levels. Make sure to hit all the toms at some point." Nice kid.

Quote:
EDIT: Oh my god, just heard the original drum tuning. Jesus Christ! I feel for you Chris, I really do

Yeah, my first thought (after me asking him to hit the first tom and I thought it was a snare....) was "f**k me. You're going to be asking me to make this sound good, right? And you're NOT kidding?"

CT

Quote:

Rate This Thread: