Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Some kind of death metal UPDATE [GP5]

Posted this a few weeks ago for preliminary feedback, seemed good, here's a further updated but still unfinished version. The end drums are still missing and the bass isn't even started on. Feedback pl0x.
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 AsIntended.gp5 (69.5 KB, 130 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Ometh
nobody

Your timing couldn't be more perfect
I'm currently finishing up a song, so as soon as I post it I'll crit this and you then can crit me back.
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Sweetness

Quote:
Eip pls
Old 09-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Iommianity

That sounded like a post-hardcore song or something with one techy riff. I really, really like the chord progression at bar 61, but I find the stop-start riffing and time changes to be total momentum killers. That's just me though; I wouldn't consider that death metal just in terms of the overall sound and atmosphere, not in an elitist way. And that part that consisted of a straight scale run, only to be moved down a half step; there's no riff or idea to latch on to there, and it just sounds like an afterthought.

Last edited by Iommianity : 09-27-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Iommianity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iommianity
That sounded like a post-hardcore song or something with one techy riff. I really, really like the chord progression at bar 61, but I find the stop-start riffing and time changes to be total momentum killers. That's just me though; I wouldn't consider that death metal just in terms of the overall sound and atmosphere, not in an elitist way. And that part that consisted of a straight scale run, only to be moved down a half step; there's no riff or idea to latch on to there, and it just sounds like an afterthought.

I'm not sure how you got to post-hardcore, I've never liked or taken any influence from that scene. I can say that I've been listening to a lot of the latest Faceless album, the latest Aborted album and Irradiant by Scarve, mostly trying to amass some original ideas from those bands.

The 'scale run' (I think you mean the ending bit) I was actually saving for something else, but wanted to see how it work with the rest of the song given its rhythm.

Also kind of why I'm not to big on calling death metal myself, its just heavily inspired by progressive death metal.

Quote:
Eip pls
Old 09-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
Iommianity

Quote:
I'm not sure how you got to post-hardcore, I've never liked or taken any influence from that scene.

Maybe not, but those types of dissonant chords and spastic rhythms remind me far more of At The Drive In than any metal bands. Those bands you listed obviously aren't taking those influences from the metal bands they liked.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
Maybe not, but those types of dissonant chords and spastic rhythms remind me far more of At The Drive In than any metal bands. Those bands you listed obviously aren't taking those influences from the metal bands they liked.

Was also listening to 43% burnt on repeat, but I'd never consider trying to rip off Dillinger. I do like me some mathcore, so it might have rubbed off somewhere.

Quote:
Eip pls
Old 09-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
Iommianity

Fair enough, didn't mean anything negative about it. Sure, it's part of why I didn't like the overall effect, but I was just comparing it to a reference point for me.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
Fair enough, didn't mean anything negative about it. Sure, it's part of why I didn't like the overall effect, but I was just comparing it to a reference point for me.

Thats cool, I often keep forgetting that no one knows every band ever :P I'm keen to keep the arpeggio-ish ending though, but just dont know where to put it.

Quote:
Eip pls
Old 09-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
Ometh
nobody

Holy mother of ****, I just finished my song. It's basically a 5 minute long technical brutal deathgrind wankfest. I'll review this as soon as I upload it, I need a break from this lol.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
Ometh
nobody

Let's start this shit up.

The intro is generic, but it gets the job done. I dig the sweep.
I dig the new harmony on the first riff, it's pretty coo'. Don't really agree with the blast beat: using the crash like that makes the drums sound way to chaotic for the riff. From 21 it sounds like modern tech death/deathcore, but it's not bad tbh. The next blast section is pretty cool: dig the more dissonant chord. The next sectiomn just screams The Faceless. Dig the little fills at 75 and 89: they break up the song quite a bit, but the fit nicely. The section from 91 is a bit odd, but I dig it. Nice blasts and chords. Reintro it's coo', doesn't feel tiring. The first two bars from the next section sound a bit deathcorish with that key change, but the rest makes up for it. A variation of the intro theme, at a slower tempo: sounds good, except the chords at 169: they clash a bit too much. The ending is abrupt, so I assume it isn't finished yet.
Overall, it's pretty standard modern tech death, with some occasional dissonance that makes it stand out a bit from the crowd. It isn't extremely technical or wanky, that's a good thing. 6.5/10
Old 09-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Ometh
nobody

Oh and btw my song is in the first page, if you haven't noticed it yet.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
Rossielle

great stuff man. the intro a little weird but i liked it. the dissonant notes give a ****in' groovy effect to the song. it is not very wanky but i really enjoyed it ,even it is not my favourite style. I hope that your future works will be more crazy)) peace on you
Rossielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #14
guitar_jew

A lot of this reminds me a lot of The Eidolon Reality by the Faceless.

Specifically that song. The chord bit in the 70s-ish sounds a LOT like the chorus to that song, and the arpeggio idea at the end reminds me of the main riff a bit, especially with some of the chromaticism.

Aside from that, it's well written and put together nicely, although a lot of tech-death convention is at play here. Pesonally feel like there isn't too much left to be done with tech death unless you get way proggier like The Faceless (sort of how you feel about my post-hardcore stuff, I guess lol) did with Autotheism.
guitar_jew is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: