Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
cbeech12

How to get the most out of you Peavey 6505

This is my first useful thread I am posting. After all the help I have got from people since I have been here, I decided to give something back.

My first impressions on hearing the amp was that it was brittle, bright and noisy. I have wasted lots of time and money on tubes, pedals, speakers etc and the point of this thread is to try and save you from doing the same thing. Firstly this is mainly based on my experiences with the 6505+ 112 but a most of this advice will apply to the whole 6505 series.

1. Speakers and cabinets:

The sheffield speaker seemed very brittle and cheap sounding, although some people actually like it. The two most favourite replacements are the Celestion vintage30 and the celestion g12t-75. The celestion vintage 30 has very pronounced mids which I personally don't think complements the already mid heavy 6505. It also has a mid spike in the uper mids where it sounds a bit ice pick, but despite these features this speaker is still by far the most popular speaker to go with the 6505. I guess it's all just personal tast. The g12t-75 on the other hand is mid scooped and complements the amp very well. It's my favourite speaker to go with the amp and it's the speaker that was in the cab Eddie van halen was using whilst designing the original 5150 with Peavey (which explains why the amp is very mid heavy).

Cab wise if you are looking into the vintage30 route then go with either a mesaboogie or an orange (depending on where you live, because they are both similar cabs but the orange cabs seem to be a lot cheaper in the UK). If you are looking into the g12t-75 route then I suggest getting a Marshall 1960 cab.

Also another note, if you have the 6505+ 112 and you plan on cranking it then I wouldn't get the celestion vintage 30 as it can't handle the wattage from a fully cranked 6505+ 112. In this case I would go with a WGS veteran (which IMO in my opinion is less ice picky then the vintage30) or an eminence governor. Both of these speakers are also cheaper then the vintage 30.

2. Boosting your amp with a OD pedal:

Many people choose to boost their high gain amps with an od pedal such as an Ibanez tubescreamer or a maxon 808. To do this set the drive very low (between 0 to 2) and turn the volume or level up very high (between 7 and 10), and set the tone knob to test. I think it's worth mentioning that there is a Japanese clone of the top of the range OD pedals called a Joyo vintage overdrive. This sells for about a third of the price as well. There are no cons what so ever. It is amazingly well built and if anything sounds better then the other high end OD pedals. I actually preffered it to the maxon 808 and the Ibanez tubescreamer

3. Tubes:

This is a topic that is mainly down to personal preference although I'll take you through the most popular choices. The most popular choice is to have all JJ 12AX7 tubes in the preamp and have two JJ 6l6gc tubes in the power amp. Although some people also like to put a Tungsol 12AX7 in V1. The JJ tubes are very dark and complement the amp very well. Some people think they are two dark and put the Tungsol in V1 to brighten the amp up but I personally think this makes the amp way too bright. Another option that not many people mention is putting a JJ 5751 tube in V1. This is a lower gain 12AX7 tube and helps tame some of the noise of the amp. Plus you still have monstrous amounts of gain with the pregain knob on 6. Another option for the poweramp tubes are the Winged C power tubes which are renowned for being possibly the best power amp tubes (when talking about 6l6gc tubes) but they are also considerably more expensive.

4. Capacitor Mod:

After all this, and all the extra money you have spent if you still think the amp is brittle and noisy then this is DEFINATELY worth doing. It's so so so easy and it made a huge difference to my amp. I just couldn't get it to sound right no matter what I did, it was just always brittle and noisy. I read this mod and it has mad me love my amp.

To do this mod all you need to do is unscrew your amp from the cab and take the chasis out. I AM WARNING YOU NOW, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ON THE PEDAL BOARD. I don't want to be responsible for the death of you or your amp. There are capacitors that store charge even when the amp is unplugged and these should be drained first (it's fairly easy to do, just googl it and youtube it). Once you have done that you can start modding it. I know modding your amp is a no go and scary subject for a lot of people, and it is for me too but this was incredibly easy and is worth it. All you need to do is locate the pregain pot from the inside of your amp and snip the tiny tiny little very pale orange capacitor. In the Peavey 6505+ 112 it is labbeled 'C30'. Then all you do is cut one of the legs (i used my girlfriends sharp nail scissors) and then bend it away so it isn't touching anything else on the circuit. This mod can be done on all amps in the 6506 series and I will post a more detailed thread about it soon. The cap is nicknamed the 'bright cap' and by remocing it from the chain makes the amp a whole lot less bright and noisy. I am so glad i discovered and did this mod
cbeech12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Robbgnarly

Pretty good advice for the most part, but just to add a bit:

1. Eminence V12's work really well with the 5150/6505 amps

2.+1

3. All of the people on this forum that use 5751 tubes are using NOS JAN-Phillips/GE 5751. I really dont know anyone here who has tried the new JJ 5751 (It does not mean they are bad, just no real reviews). And besides V1 the 5751 is also good in the PI position.

4.+1
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Last edited by Robbgnarly : 01-05-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Awesome post!

Only thing I noted was aren't Joyos Chinese? Not sure.

I think you skipped recommending JJ 6L6s for the poweramp and went straight to the more expensive alternative (SED).

Do you have any opinion on a 5751 vs an ECC803 for V1?

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 POD HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Awesome post!

I think you skipped recommending JJ 6L6s for the poweramp and went straight to the more expensive alternative (SED).

I use a NOS JAN-GE 5751 in the PI of my DSL 100 tames a lot of buzz.
You can get the NOS 5751's from www.thetubedepot.com for $30+
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 01-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
loki_lulamen
UG's Sound Guy

I would also add that putting a 12at7 in V1 can help the clean channel greatly without removing too much gain from the rhythm/ lead channels. Just kick it up 1 or 2 notches.

Apart form that. Great article dude. Had no idea about the bright cap mod. But will be trying that out when I get some cash together.
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
TU2=>MXR SUPER COMP=>WHAMMY IV=>MORLEY PWOV=>JOYO VOD=>NS2=>FX LOOP=>PH3=>CF7=>DD20
loki_lulamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
KailM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly

3. All of the people on this forum that use 5751 tubes are using NOS JAN-Phillips/GE 5751. I really dont know anyone here who has tried the new JJ 5751 (It does not mean they are bad, just no real reviews). And besides V1 the 5751 is also good in the PI position.

I've got a JJ 5751 in V1.

I don't know how it compares to a Phillips one but here's how it compares to a regular JJ 12AX7:

Gain is still there, and definitely more than you'd ever need. However, where a 12AX7 sounds maybe overly-saturated/fuzzy at times, the 5751 allows you to hear the individual notes of chords better. Still brutal as hell though; just an overall sweeter tone. It still sounds dark like JJs all seem to be. It's kind of hard to describe, but I think "organic" is appropriate.

I run a JJ 12AT7 in the PI position, but I'm thinking about getting another JJ 5751 for that spot, if that tells you anything.

As for the article: Great write-up cbeech12!!! I'm interested in trying that capacitor mod (although admittedly afraid).

I'd like to add a 5th category if I may:

5. EQ pedal --

An EQ pedal can really breathe life into this amp. Anything you don't like or like about its tone can be shaped with a good EQ. I went with the MXR 10-band, but I'm sure some of the others would do the job as well. I found that I could completely tame the fizzyness by cutting the highest frequencies a little. Plus, I can boost the low mids a tad to increase that "thump" when chugging on low chords.
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
ikey_

2 things - im fairly certain a V30 and the WGS veteran have the same wattage handling. rated at least, not sure what their max is (as most speakers can handle far more than the rated).

also, i find a 12at7 in the last preamp spot adds some clarity and less fizzyness. subtle but when paired with a good V1 or 5751, the combo can have a noticable effect.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
Robbgnarly

KailM

Good to hear the JJ 5751 are a diecent tube. Like I said I have not seen any thing about them so far.

I can vouch for the NOS JAN-GE/Phillips 5751, worth the price.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 01-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
whyze250f
UG's OCD resident.

Are there any drawbacks to doing the capacitor mod, like decreased reliability? Also think I might try the 5751. Already got jjs all around and an eminence Governor.
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
whyze250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
KrymsinViking

You might want to add the bias mod too. I haven't tried it personally but I know it's a popular mod for 6505s since they are biased cold.
KrymsinViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
cbeech12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Awesome post!

Yes sorry, they are chinese. My mistake. And I think I briefly mentioned the JJ 6L6gcs, but can't give a propper opinion because I haven't used them yet. I think the 5751 tubes tame some of the hiss when you are using a lot of gain and make the amp quieter. They sound slightly less aggressive as a 12AX7 but i think it's a sacrifice worth making
Old 01-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
cbeech12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KailM
I've got a JJ 5751 in V1.

I don't know how it compares to a Phillips one but here's how it compares to a regular JJ 12AX7:

Gain is still there, and definitely more than you'd ever need. However, where a 12AX7 sounds maybe overly-saturated/fuzzy at times, the 5751 allows you to hear the individual notes of chords better. Still brutal as hell though; just an overall sweeter tone. It still sounds dark like JJs all seem to be. It's kind of hard to describe, but I think "organic" is appropriate.

I run a JJ 12AT7 in the PI position, but I'm thinking about getting another JJ 5751 for that spot, if that tells you anything.

As for the article: Great write-up cbeech12!!! I'm interested in trying that capacitor mod (although admittedly afraid).

I'd like to add a 5th category if I may:

5. EQ pedal --

An EQ pedal can really breathe life into this amp. Anything you don't like or like about its tone can be shaped with a good EQ. I went with the MXR 10-band, but I'm sure some of the others would do the job as well. I found that I could completely tame the fizzyness by cutting the highest frequencies a little. Plus, I can boost the low mids a tad to increase that "thump" when chugging on low chords.

I think we have a very similar setup. I have a JJ 5751 in V1 and a JJ 12AT7 in V5 too. Also I was really scared about doing the capacitor mod too but I took a risk and it paid off. It's reversible as well, all you would have to do is make one quick solder connection to re-attatch it. And I am currently saving up for an MXR 10 band EQ. I obviously couldn't comment on that aspect because I haven't tried one yet haha. Anyway thanks for the advice!
Old 01-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
cbeech12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
2 things - im fairly certain a V30 and the WGS veteran have the same wattage handling. rated at least, not sure what their max is (as most speakers can handle far more than the rated).

also, i find a 12at7 in the last preamp spot adds some clarity and less fizzyness. subtle but when paired with a good V1 or 5751, the combo can have a noticable effect.

Sorry my mistake! I should have checked up on that before I posted it. Also I have a 12AT7 in the last preamp spot too. I forgot to mention that whilst talking about tubes

Rate This Thread: