User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #6561
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer
There's nothing wrong in principal with reading the bible. The main problem is... Which one? There are so many different versions and translations and even the major religions argue endlessly over which one is the most "authentic".... While in truth none of them may be particularly so.

As New Testament scholar Bart Ehrman says...."We are looking at copies of copies of copies"..... The original texts do not exist.

For instance, many of the more fundamentalist Protestant sects have chosen the King James.... But scholars admit this is a dreadful translation. The good King wanted a pretty English bible, not a particularly accurate one.

I ordered the NIV (New International Version) Bible from Amazon to read. From what I've read it's more thorough than the King James one.

But yeah, at times it almost feels like Americans arguing over the wording of the 2nd Amendment. You can't really put the whole truth about reality into language, even written language, and expect it to not be anything more than that. Language is complex and evolving, and may or may not represent what it wants to represent. So you can't have the same exact text be the one determining everything for eternity because language evolves and thus the interpretation of it will too. But you also can't really keep translating the text over and over to get on with the times because said process of interpretation and rewriting could be lossy.

So yeah, everybody's fucked, at least if you want to depend on an immutable piece of written text for absolute philosophical and historical references.
gonzaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:10 PM   #6562
genghisgandhi
Kristaps Porzingis

any opinions on Parfit? feel like he's been discussed in here before
genghisgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #6563
Jehannum
Bant

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisgandhi
any opinions on Parfit? feel like he's been discussed in here before

Good rhythm guitarist.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:10 AM   #6564
ali.guitarkid7
Awessum Pawesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzaw
I ordered the NIV (New International Version) Bible from Amazon to read. From what I've read it's more thorough than the King James one.

But yeah, at times it almost feels like Americans arguing over the wording of the 2nd Amendment. You can't really put the whole truth about reality into language, even written language, and expect it to not be anything more than that. Language is complex and evolving, and may or may not represent what it wants to represent. So you can't have the same exact text be the one determining everything for eternity because language evolves and thus the interpretation of it will too. But you also can't really keep translating the text over and over to get on with the times because said process of interpretation and rewriting could be lossy.

So yeah, everybody's fucked, at least if you want to depend on an immutable piece of written text for absolute philosophical and historical references.

I was gifted an annotated NIV by a friend. One of the best gifts I've gotten. It's great that it exercises a sort of authentic "the fuck do we know?" attitude when it comes to certain words and phrases and their translations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessielee739402
Assume I should on shit I be?
ali.guitarkid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:30 AM   #6565
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali.guitarkid7
I was gifted an annotated NIV by a friend. One of the best gifts I've gotten. It's great that it exercises a sort of authentic "the fuck do we know?" attitude when it comes to certain words and phrases and their translations.

Annotations are invaluable, because we won't read the bible the way christians will so its harder for us to really nail down the meanings.
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

NEW UG ALBUM! GET UG ELECTRONIC ALBUM: DISC THREE TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I respect crunk.
captaincrunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: