Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
SteveHOC
Used Register

NG(s)D

I bought two different guitars this week, to serve different purposes. I picked both up used; the PRS for $450, and the Jaguar, used, with a hard case, for $440. I sold a couple guitars to get both of these (an Epi Les Paul and a Gretsch 5235t) and Iím happy I did.

Right off the bat I have to say that Iím extremely impressed with the PRS. This is my first PRS and I had heard great things about the SE Custom semi-hollows, so I went a played this one and decided that it needed to come home with me. Itís light, about six pounds, and gets really nice bright tones out of the bridge pickup and warm, jazzy tones, out of the neck. I had to adjust to the weight initially, as I felt like it might just float away, but after the adjustment I knew I had found a guitar worth keeping for a while. While not all that versatile in terms of tone (standard volume and tone controls with a three-way pickup selector) I find this guitar to be perfect for the ambient rock style that I play. The only changes Iíve made thus far were to replace the volume and control knobs to chrome, and the pick guard to a pearl-white, as I didnít care for the tortoise and reddish color scheme. I may next install some P-90ís from GFS, as Iím still not sure I like the brightness out of the bridge, and I like semi-hollows with P-90ís. The P-90ís from GFS are also pearl-white-topped, so the guitar will look and sound amazing once I get those installed.

Now to the Jag. Iím not sure what to make of it yet. I threw some 11-50 gauge strings on it and Iím not sure I dig that Ė as I was looking for a nice crunchy tone with easy action and a comfortable switch between lead and rhythm parts. I may just tweak the action and throw some 10ís on there, but for now Iím just learning the switches and the blending that comes with them. Itís a heavier guitar with an obviously shorter scale neck, but that doesnít bother me at all. I had considered getting the Classic Player Jaguar, but didnít like the tremolo on it and wanted something closer to a TOM bridge Ė this suits my needs perfectly. Iím fairly certain this guitar will remain in my arsenal as a backup guitar, probably to my Blackout Telecaster, unless I really fall for it in the next couple of weeks. I was able to talk the gentleman I got it from down in price and felt pretty good snagging it with a hard case for under $500 Ė especially since itís in mint condition. I guess if nothing else I could probably sell it and make a little money if I donít end up in love with it.

Anyway, these are brief reviews, and I would love advice on either of these guitars to get the best sound out of them. Again, Iím not sure Iíll switch the pickups out on the PRS, but I think it might give it a nice tone with the P-90ís Ė not that I hate the humbuckers. As for the Jag, itís probably just a matter of learning what to do with the variety of switches, and I do love learning the tricks of my new guitars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (44.2 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg photo(6).JPG (50.3 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg photo(5).JPG (48.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg photo(3).JPG (42.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg photo(2).JPG (44.6 KB, 83 views)
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
Jacques-Henri

You are a very lucky man. HNGD !
Jacques-Henri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
boblittle
meh

Hngd!
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
boblittle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
SteveHOC
Used Register

I just checked the serial on the Jag - it's a 1995 Made in Japan (not "Crafted in Japan"). I have no idea what difference that makes, but the guitar is mint, and for being 17 years old there is no fret wear.
Thanks for the HNGD's!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
George Juggles

se semihollows are awesome!!!
EHX Big Muff USA
BOSS DD3
Joyo Power-Supply 2
George Juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
SteveHOC
Used Register

I know! I love the damn thing! I am now a true PRS fan, I see why so many guitarists love them. I can only imagine how incredible the PRS' with the higher price tags are.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
George Juggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
I know! I love the damn thing! I am now a true PRS fan, I see why so many guitarists love them. I can only imagine how incredible the PRS' with the higher price tags are.

I love the wide fat necks, so much more comfortable than thin necks.
EHX Big Muff USA
BOSS DD3
Joyo Power-Supply 2
George Juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

Lol you got the exact same Jag as me. That's hilarious.

Can i interest you in a set of GFS Retrotron pickups?
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
I just checked the serial on the Jag - it's a 1995 Made in Japan (not "Crafted in Japan"). I have no idea what difference that makes, but the guitar is mint, and for being 17 years old there is no fret wear.
Thanks for the HNGD's!

I think if there's any difference at all (which i doubt), it's that an MIJ had all the parts and stuff actually shipped from the US and then it was just put together in Japan, but CIJ is where everything is fabricated and also put together in Japan. I honestly have no idea, but that's my guess.
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
UnmagicMushroom
Banded

I have a serious problem with the pics you took. They're just too small. You really gotta show off their beauty, man!

Happy new guitars day! Those are two solid instruments you got there. If you ever do a P90 swap on the PRS let me know how it sounds. I was considering jumping on one of them PRS semi-hollows if I go to jazz school next year...and I can imagine a P90 in the neck will be very cool. Enjoy your new toys!

Last edited by UnmagicMushroom : 11-03-2012 at 01:05 PM.
UnmagicMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
gregs1020
Hi mom!

both are excellent choices!

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: