Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Sempermore

Sing with power?!

Hey guys 'n gals!

So about 2 weeks ago I decided I wanted to learn how to sing! I've been doing these interactive vocal excercises every day along with singing to a song or just alone with my guitar for a couple of hours a day (bear in mind that it still sounds crappy).

To the matter at hand!

I'm at the moment really into Alter Bridge and Foo Fighters, whom both have great singers with great power! When they sing their high pitched notes I generally tend to hit it (most of the times) but it's without any power. It's more like a falsetto kinda sound... I think I might be using my head voice? Haven't really got a grip on the terms yet...

Anyway, do you have any tips/excercises to help develop a strong(er) voice? I've been looking on youtube but I can't really find anything helpful... I don't know if it's maybe asking to much to start practicing this since I've only been singing for a couple of weeks...

To give you some examples of what I mean here are two songs!

My Hero - Foo Fighters 2.48

Metalingus - Alter Bridge 0.42 and 3.03

(It just says ''Forbidden Link'' when I try to link the songs from Youtube)

Thanks and take care!
Sempermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
jazz_rock_feel
A Joke Ban Broke My Title

Two things:
1) You might just not have that range and so you're flipping into falsetto to get those notes.
2) Air, air, air, air, air and more air.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Sethis

^I disagree on both. Most singers start with a weak falsetto register but with practice it can sound strong and chesty. It's not about lack of range... Also, high notes need less air not more...correct control of airflow is crucial.

@OP: You're unlucky because you chose one of the hardest styles of singing. Luckily, it is possible but it needs a lot of time to do properly. I would certainly start with some easier songs and lessons. It's not something you can learn with a video or two.
Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
corrda00
Unregistered User

What I do is sing major arpeggios (root 3rd 5th) then move it up a semitone. Do this till you can't go any higher (without falsetto).

Repeat daily and you should start to get more range as well as strengthen the range you have.

My Compositions:
Roots (Prog Metal)
New Tuning (Prog Metal)
Sexy Riff (Pop Rock)
corrda00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Sempermore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis
^I disagree on both. Most singers start with a weak falsetto register but with practice it can sound strong and chesty. It's not about lack of range... Also, high notes need less air not more...correct control of airflow is crucial.

@OP: You're unlucky because you chose one of the hardest styles of singing. Luckily, it is possible but it needs a lot of time to do properly. I would certainly start with some easier songs and lessons. It's not something you can learn with a video or two.

Of course I also sing some easier songs aswell f.e Good Riddance and I'm also aware that this is quite advanced stuff (Myles Kennedy from Alter Bridge has an 4 octave range)...

But my approach is the same as when I practice guitar; even though Wonderwall is easy and could be learned in 10 minutes it's possible for me to learn Dream Theater solos, I just have to stay dedicated and spend ALOT more time with it! I will also develop alot more!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Sempermore

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrda00
What I do is sing major arpeggios (root 3rd 5th) then move it up a semitone. Do this till you can't go any higher (without falsetto).

Repeat daily and you should start to get more range as well as strengthen the range you have.

Kudos my hero! I'll get right on it!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Sempermore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
Two things:
1) You might just not have that range and so you're flipping into falsetto to get those notes.
2) Air, air, air, air, air and more air.

Ah ok, good thing i'm practicing breath control!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
Duce180

To be able to sing with power you need to have proper singing technique first AND have a strong foundation (cord closure needs to be solid, chest resonance, head voice resonance, etc..) then you can start to incorporate more breathe (diaghragm breathe) into your singing. But if you try to sing with power, with an undelveloped voice, you'll just blow out your voice, go into falsetto, or strain. So I recommend some vocal lessons with a vocal coach, to atleast see where your at with your technique and diagnose any problems.
Duce180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
HotspurJr

It's not about the amount of air. It's about breathing properly. Often you can sing with a lot of power with very little air IF you know what you are doing.

But we can't explain it in a few posts. It's the sort of thing people work with singing teachers with for months to get right, with lots of direct, immediate feedback.

Don't worry about power just yet. Worry about solid good full tone, proper breathing, proper posture, and good articulation. Power will come from getting all these other things right.

But trying to have "power" when you don't have everything else is like trying to build a tall skyscraper without sinking a foundation. It's not steady and won't hold, and it might well topple over and a whole bunch of damage in the process.

Power comes from technique. Take lessons. Get your technique solid. THEN you'll be able to find power.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: