Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
RiffsanBridges
UG's mentally challenged

Marshall DSL40c

Has anyone tried out these amps? I'm considering either a Marshall DSL40c or a Laney IRT60-212 but since my local shop doesn't have shit, I sorta have to rely on my computer's speakers and expert knowledge.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I think gregs1020 tried them and said they don't stand up to the old DSL's. I haven't personally tried them, but I trust his opinion. Then again, they might jsut need a new speaker and retube to make the difference, but I can't say for sure.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Maximus_2005

I believe the combo's come with a celestion seventy 80 speaker ... Which hinders the amp a bit...

Quote:
"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
Maximus_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
JKHC

Marshall has demos of the DSLs up on their YT channel.
I haven't tried the new ones but, from the demo, the clean channel sounds really thin. Maybe it's the recording method but I don't like it at all.

http://www.youtube.com/user/insidemarshall

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?

Last edited by JKHC : 10-19-2012 at 03:23 PM.
JKHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

I was toying around with the 50watt head at long and mcquade last week. I was playing it through the marshall cab, so if the combo does have 70-80's, that will have a major affect on tone.

I haven't played many older marshalls, but within min's of playing this thing, I was able to dial in that classic marshall od.

In my opinion, the head was great. I was actually thinking of picking one up, if could spare the cash!
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Randall 212+115
Mesa Boogie 212

Check out my band CITIES GATEWAY
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonpardy
I was toying around with the 50watt head at long and mcquade last week. I was playing it through the marshall cab, so if the combo does have 70-80's, that will have a major affect on tone.

I haven't played many older marshalls, but within min's of playing this thing, I was able to dial in that classic marshall od.

In my opinion, the head was great. I was actually thinking of picking one up, if could spare the cash!

Are you sure it was a new one?
The older ones are actually really good.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:28 AM   #7
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
Are you sure it was a new one?
The older ones are actually really good.

I was under the impression that it was the new one, but it very well may have been one of the older ones. I know the price tag was 850 CAD new for the 100 watt head. (I know I said 50watt earlier; my bad )

The only thing I didn't like about it, was that it sounded a little fizzy to me. I really liked it, but I didn't like it enough to buy it on the spot. But like I said, I haven't played a lot of marshalls, so I don't have much experience.
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Randall 212+115
Mesa Boogie 212

Old 10-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #8
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

Was it a JCM or just had block a DSL logo? Based off of price, Its probably a new one.

And I run my JCM through a cab with seventy80s. I can still get great tones out of the amp. Cant wait for a new cab though, it will really scream then
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdohle
Was it a JCM or just had block a DSL logo? Based off of price, Its probably a new one.

And I run my JCM through a cab with seventy80s. I can still get great tones out of the amp. Cant wait for a new cab though, it will really scream then

I think that it may have been a block DSL logo.

I haven't personally had a lot of experience with the 70-80's, but if you can get a good tone out of them, who cares??

I know the amp sounded pretty nice through the V30's!
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Randall 212+115
Mesa Boogie 212

Old 02-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
snshami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
I think gregs1020 tried them and said they don't stand up to the old DSL's. I haven't personally tried them, but I trust his opinion. Then again, they might jsut need a new speaker and retube to make the difference, but I can't say for sure.

I don't know who gregs1020 is but his ears must be very different to mine

I tried this amp and it is awesome. I had to compare it to a Blackstar HT-40, which was the other amp I was considering, and the Marshall was without a shadow of a doubt a far more pleasing sound to my ears. The greatest thing I found was the versatility. It could do everything from Vintage Marshall to latest Modern and it did everything really really well. In case you are wondering I tried it out in a music store that had a closed of amp room and spent about 40 minutes on each amp. The guitar was a Schecter Synyster Gates custom with hot Invader pickups.

Now I am not saying everyone will reach the same conclusion but saying this does not stand up to the old DSLs is a kind of a throwaway line that informs no one. If you ask me I would say it is nicer, fuller and better rounded and more sensitive to touch than the DSL 401 it replaces. Now I am not sure how that is in the universe of Marshalls but at least you have some reference.
snshami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

I ended up spending a bit more time playing with this amp a few months back when I was in the market for a new head.

Like I said earlier, the classic Marshall tone is def there, it's just covered in a layer of fizz... No matter what I did, I couldnt seem to get this amp to sound clear. It was just too fizzy and muddy.

I ended up going with the JCA50H. In my opinion the cleans are just as good, or better then the marshalls, and lead channel totally kills the Marshall's.
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Randall 212+115
Mesa Boogie 212

Old 04-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
seattleman1969

I just recently bought one and I have to say, after a couple of mods it's one of the best amps Marshall has put out in quite a while.

Mods I performed:
c19 mod for equalization on the Lead Channels
Replaced Stock speaker with a Creamback G12m-65
Tubes replaced with 4x JJ ECC803S Gold Pin (TO my ears I can hear a huge difference between the regulars and golds) and 2x Tung Sol EL34Bs

This resulted in an amp that is now crystal clear (Not clean, just very detailed), very defined, yet still has a nice full but tight bottom end, very full and vocal mid range, and nice chimy high end with no harshness and a very equal EQ range across both channels and both modes on each channel.

The only channel mode I don't use is the Classic/Clean. It's Marshall clean and for my uses I need more of a Fender clean so I just run it on an A/B/Y switch with my slightly modded SCXD on Channel 1 (Clean). With both amps in parallel and the DSL40C on the Classic Crunch just barely breaking up and both being fed from the Hardwire Supernatural on Spring Reverb preset I get a SUPER DUPER KILLER SRV tone going on! Just diggin it!

Even without the new tubes it was pretty good just after removing the c19 and changing the speaker. I realize this was Marshall's attempt at an "affordable" yet giggable combo, but the treble boosting c19 was just a horrible idea and the stock speaker is harsh harsh harsh. I hear it gets better after a prolonged break in but seriously, without these two mods, at first I hated this amp.

Last edited by seattleman1969 : 04-25-2013 at 02:21 PM.
seattleman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #13
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by snshami
I don't know who gregs1020 is but his ears must be very different to mine

I tried this amp and it is awesome. I had to compare it to a Blackstar HT-40, which was the other amp I was considering, and the Marshall was without a shadow of a doubt a far more pleasing sound to my ears. The guitar was a Schecter Synyster Gates custom with hot Invader pickups.

Well I really can't take you seriously now

The new DSL is no where near as good as the JCM DSL series. I tried the new DSL 15c/40c and the 100 watt head, no they are not horrible amps, but I have a JCM DSL100 and it will absolutely slay the new ones end of story
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #14
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #15
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Well I really can't take you seriously now

The new DSL is no where near as good as the JCM DSL series. I tried the new DSL 15c/40c and the 100 watt head, no they are not horrible amps, but I have a JCM DSL100 and it will absolutely slay the new ones end of story

I compared the 100 and the 15 to my DSL401, which isn't as good as its bigger brothers...

The 401 still slayed them. The new ones weren't horrible unless you are after the combo ones...

The heads through a good cab weren't great but failed compared to the old ones. I couldn't dial anything high gain without it collapsing on itself. For dirty rock they would be pretty decent so it really depends what you are after. I'd still like to hear one with good tubes to see what they are capable of.

Plus the control layout seemed worse...
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #16
hildo5170

I have the DSL 40c. I changed the 70/80 speaker with a G12M-65 Creamback. It cut the harsh fizz and the bass is more musical, tight. Before the bass seemed messy,muddy and lose. I bought mine from guitar center online and had to send it back. It practically fell out of the box on delivery. A $ 100 off and $ 30 credit. I have had it a year. The effects jack is lose. Try getting warranty service in Pittsburgh, PA. It gives off an odor unlike any tube amp I have ever played when good and warm. It has to be the cab materials. Its a cheap version of the JCM2000. I like it enough to keep it. Sounds great with any overdrive pedal OCD , tube screamer, dirty little secret and proco rat. The Reverb is to digital and lifeless. I layer it with a Fender blues Jr. The price was right for me. The SL-5 would have been my other choice.
hildo5170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #17
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser

Don't post in old threads.

Rate This Thread: