Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
BulletforFrank

1 Humbucker , 1 Superswitch?

Hi guys,

I'm building yet another guitar, and just before falling asleep yesterday, I got this hairbrained Idea...

Would it be possible to wire 1 humbucker to 5-way selector, (probably a suerpswitch) to get the following combinations?

1. Series
2. Parallel
3. top coil only
4. bottom coil only
5. reverse phase

Would it be possible?I'm planning on an HSH, and I was thinking of wiring both my humbuckers that way, and having my humbuckers and my single coil wired to seperate volume and tone controls, using push-oull potmeters, to use them as killswitch.

I know it's crazy and my guitar will be filled with knobs, and I'm not even sure I'll do it (probably not). But I do have the space for it on my body, and I was just wondering if it would be possible...

thx guys, and I promise to post pictures once it's done X'D
BulletforFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Yeah, that's possible. But personally, I would follow a different approach. I'd use a regular 5-way switch for pickup selection, and then install a 4-pole Rotary switch in place of the tone pot for the humbucker configurations you described. Then I'd change the volume pot to a concentric(stacked) pot for volume and tone.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
unplugged89

The difference between the top coil and the bottom coil will be marginal.

Have you considered using two single coils? I only know a little bit about wiring pickups, but it seems to me that it would be easier to wire two single coils in the way described. It would also have the benefit of being able to put the coils in different positions, so you get more varied tones.

Also, look up Fender's S-1 switching system. May give you some inspiration.
unplugged89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugged89
The difference between the top coil and the bottom coil will be marginal.

Have you considered using two single coils? I only know a little bit about wiring pickups, but it seems to me that it would be easier to wire two single coils in the way described. It would also have the benefit of being able to put the coils in different positions, so you get more varied tones.

Also, look up Fender's S-1 switching system. May give you some inspiration.

It depends on the pickup. Some aren't wound evenly. But, I do tend to agree, having both is over kill.

OP, you want these 5 options for 1 pickup?

Ie, you want Coil A & Coil B in series/parallel/phase-out/etc?

... If so, I highly recommend not going that route.
The out of phase Coil A/Coil B will sound extremely thin and weak and a practically unusable sound.

Making Neck picks out of phase with Bridge is much better.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
unplugged89

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Long|
It depends on the pickup. Some aren't wound evenly. But, I do tend to agree, having both is over kill.

I did not know that. I like gaining information like this, it makes me feel like a pokemon that's just learnt a new move.

So if you had a humbucker with one regular coil and one massively overwound coil you could change the output level by choosing which coil was on? Also, are the unevenly wound on purpose, or is it a small factory error that's to blame?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugged89
I did not know that. I like gaining information like this, it makes me feel like a pokemon that's just learnt a new move.

So if you had a humbucker with one regular coil and one massively overwound coil you could change the output level by choosing which coil was on? Also, are the unevenly wound on purpose, or is it a small factory error that's to blame?

Yes on Q1. On two, I don't know. I wouldn't think it's factory error, some winders like to have mismatched coils.

SD pickups though, are usually spot on for equality. Which is great, so you can make your split coils hum-cancelling without sacrificing output.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:05 AM   #7
james4

the more evenly (and consistently) wound coils in a humbucker are, the more hum-cancelling it'll be..generally factory wound pickups will be really close coil for coil, but more boutique winders may vary for certain tonal/originality reasons.. typically the difference coil to coil isn't huge though

One thing I haven't tried is splitting both coils of a humbucker with more drastically different coils.. something like a d sonic. so a pickup like that may be the only way to make that many switches justified

that all being said, it's possible for sure. There are probably better options though

edit: SD p-rails would also work (maybe?) well in a configuration like that.

For any situation I'm still not sold on the out of phase position though..

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Last edited by james4 : 01-14-2013 at 01:06 AM.
james4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
unplugged89

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I saw something today which might be worth looking at.

http://www.lacemusic.com/Duallys.php

They're pickups that are basically designed for what OP is asking for.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
|Long|
String Theory

OP never returned...
Old 04-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
BulletforFrank

My apologies, I did return quite often, I just never had the time to thank you all.

You've given me loads of inspiration.

I've really started doubting about my original ideas, hearing your ideas. I've bought the following though

Seymour Duncan SH4 and SH2, Seymour Duncan SSL-5

I've got 2 5-way superswitches, 3 push-pull volume pots and 3 push-pull tone pots.

Any suggestion to get the maximum out of all this stuff? I don't need to use everything off course, just saying what I have. I'm not exactly in the mood to buy even more stuff though, and I do wish a H-S-H style guitar.

Sorry for the late response...
Old 04-29-2013, 06:01 AM   #11
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

I would have suggested the Seymour Duncan triple-shot mounting rings. Assuming you weren't going to direct mount, they would be perfect.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
BulletforFrank

I checked out the triple shots, but they seem a little unpractical to switch while playing...

I got a new idea though, and I think it might even be possibble (not sure though XD)

volume push pulls to put pickups on and off

tone push-pull with both Humbuckers (neck and bridge) to switch between series and parallel between the 2 coils

then a 5-way superswitch between the neck HB and the single coil with following options:
1. series
2. parallel
3. HB split and parallel with single coil
4. HB split and series with single coil
5. HB and single coil in phase

then I'd put my second 5-way switch behind that, to mix that signal with the signal from my bridge HB with the same settings, so

1. Neck HB in series with other pups
2. Neck HB in parallel with other pups
3.Neck HB split and in parallel with other pups
4.Neck HB split and in series with other pups
5.Neck HB in phase with other pups

Is that possible, because if it is, I think it might be quite awesome.

I'm going to a local guitar builder soon to, I'll ask him on his opinion as well, and let you know what I eventually did.

thx for the help guys

Rate This Thread: