Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-18-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
JohnnyThrash

pedal affecting tube amp questions

The gear I use is a Peavey Valveking 100 head through a Marshall stack or a Line 6 15 practice amp.

A complaint I have from a bandmate is that when I use my BOSS ME-70 into my tube amp it makes it sound "too compressed". It sounds just fine on my practice amp but I use all the pedals EQ to get my tone where as on my Peavey I shape the EQ on the amp itself. I've tried running the pedal through the effects loop and using 0 noise gate on it but I'm still not sure if the pedal is affecting the tone too much even doing that. For my practice amp I dial in everything solely on my pedal but through my gig amp I use it strictly for specific effects like octave or tremelo etc. I have also wondered if using distortion is not a good idea because of the difference between gain and distortion. I've already checked out the popular tone/eq thread and that helped a ton but my problem now lies in how I should approach applying the EQ to emulate famous bands. I play in a cover band so I try my best to get my tone as close as possible but it's no simple task applying one set up to 50 years of rock and roll. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
JohnnyThrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
The_rylan

Let the sound of your tube amp free, nothing better than the sound of nice hot tubes compressing on their own or with a little drive or distortion going through them. If you consider, the best guitar sounds, this is again opinion, are simple. Amp, mic period.

I've played in several cover bands. If you want to nail other people's tones for different songs, get a line 6 vetta or one of the bogner designs, with the large pedal for lots of presets. Personally I let my tone come through on covers to a point, I get it close enough so people know what the song is and the rest is all me.

Best of luck.

Last edited by The_rylan : 01-18-2013 at 08:28 AM.
The_rylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
PSimonR
PSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_rylan
Let the sound of your tube amp free, nothing better than the sound of nice hot tubes compressing on their own or with a little drive or distortion going through them. If you consider, the best guitar sounds, this is again opinion, are simple. Amp, mic period..

+1

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lgbt/
PSimonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

Are you using the gain channel on the Peavey for heavy sounds or the clean channel with pedals? Ive found it's much easier to control EQ and compression on the clean channel using pedals than it is on the gain/overdrive channels of high powered amps.
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #5
JohnnyThrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acϵ♠
Are you using the gain channel on the Peavey for heavy sounds or the clean channel with pedals? Ive found it's much easier to control EQ and compression on the clean channel using pedals than it is on the gain/overdrive channels of high powered amps.

It depends, I TRY to use the pedal as little as possible to capture the benefits of using a tube amp in the first place. But when I do use the pedal I have to play on the clean channel and manipulate most of the EQ on the pedal. I use a BOSS ME-70, mostly because for just playing around in the bedroom it does a little bit of everything and it worked fantastic. The pedal does not really translate well, but it's also a bit of a money issue. It can do a lot of stuff fairly well but not amazing and on the other hand it's not worth it to me to go buy 700$ worth of individual pedals either. If I have the option I just use the amp solo but for some niche songs like "Audioslave-Like a Stone" for example we play, requires quite a bit of different effects and changing often. I have sat in front of the amp for hours though and it gets to be such a frustrating ordeal. I guess one of my biggest questions was about the effects loop. I've tried running my guitar straight into the pedal then into the amp and also the guitar straight to the amp and the pedal running through the effects loop. IS there a major difference or scenario where this is beneficial? I'm afraid my ear isn't really good enough at this point to really tell.

Additional info: I'm also a younger musician playing with older musicians who have been playing for a long time. So it's also myself trying to adjust to the old school mind set and meet their idea of "good" rather than mine own.

Last edited by JohnnyThrash : 01-18-2013 at 11:36 PM.
JohnnyThrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: