Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #21
manualex

Do you sleep with your fretting hand under the pillow(crushing it) or in an awkward possition? That might be your issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_muse
Every self respecting Muser regards the 2nd Law as their magnum opus.
manualex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #22
Feeby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyleg
I don't know that he has arthritis, but it sure looks like it.

My hands aren't as bad as when I first started playing 16 months ago. I'd wake up in the mornings and my fret hand would be swollen like the hand was sprained, and the knuckles hurt like mad.

I think you're right. It looks like arthritis to me. But if you're getting pain then I'd totally see your GP and get a referral if it's bothering you. It doesn't matter what your age is, your health shouldn't impact adversely on your life if there is a treatment option available. I hope you get it sorted. Good luck!

*sorry, I meant, I think you're right that Keith Richards has arthritis, not yourself. But I hope you can get it sorted and get answers.

Last edited by Feeby : 08-21-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Feeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #23
Monkeyleg
Tataglia is a pimp.

I don't have pain anymore for long after I'm playing, and I don't have a lot of pain when I am playing (certainly not like I did a year ago). It's just that my fingers after awhile won't move the way they should, as they get cramped up. My wrist and/or fingers sometimes ache after playing, but not like they once did.

I sleep on my back (or that's what my ex said when she complained about my snoring).

I'm doing as suggested, and pressing as lightly on the barre chords as possible. It may be that I've been gripping too hard, even though I know not to. I've reached the point where I can play some songs all the way through with few mistakes, and with some of my own flourishes. I think I press hard so I don't screw up and ruin what might have been an almost perfect job.

Last edited by Monkeyleg : 08-21-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Monkeyleg is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: