Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: Is it my glossed guitar neck or is it my technique?
Sand down your guitar neck. Your hands need to move fluidly to do such degree of shredding. 0 0%
You made the wrong choice to alter your playing techniques. 0 0%
It's a little bit of both. 1 100.00%
Other (please specify.) 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
parhelia_0000

Is it my technique or does my guitar neck need sanding?

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've been active on this site. I am really busy with Grade 12 university prep and such...
Anyways...
So for a long time now, I've played (and mastered some of) a wide variety of styles, ranging from Eddie Van Halen licks to Steve Vai's solo compositions. After a while, I've noticed that my left hand tends to have a weird grip on the neck. I can't seem to allow my left thumb to rest on the back of the guitar neck whenever I am playing guitar solos, as it somehow causes the rest of the fingers on my left hand to lose the speed they need for a fast guitar solo. (Note that my fingers are double-jointed.) Whenever I try holding the guitar neck like professionals, what I've noticed is that my fingers tend to get stuck in one place and I can't seem to let them move fluidly on the guitar neck. This causes numerous disadvantages for me, such as the inability to sweep pick. Because of this, I am forced to place my neck just below the skunk stripe of my guitar neck to keep it stable while I play guitar solos, and use my fingers to control the vibrato of the guitar strings.
To compensate for my mistakes, I decided to lower the action on my guitar to the point that the bridge is screwed completely down on the guitar body. (Amazingly, no fret buzzes were noted. Japanese guitars FTW! ) I also had to alter my techniques in a way that does not tire my hands so much, which includes faking all sweep picks with two-hand tapping and basic single-string shreds. (Yes, it does sound weird to tap notes in a Yngwie Malmsteen song, but what other choice do I have?) For a while, it helped me a lot; however I am now starting to feel like there is something wrong with either my glossed guitar neck that prevents my hand from moving fluidly, or with my altered technique which is now starting to reveal its mistakes.

I am still using my 2005 Fender Jaguar HH, which has a gloss finish on the back of the guitar neck.

So, what do you guys think? Does the problem originate from the guitar neck itself, or did I make the wrong choice to alter my techniques?

Thank you very much in advance for your help, and I hope to see your responses!

Regards,
parhelia_0000

Last edited by parhelia_0000 : 12-31-2013 at 12:59 AM.
parhelia_0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:21 AM   #2
festivalinhell

The gloss will likely only reduce friction so it is probably in your technique. Note however that i'm a blues player so two hand tapping and sweep picking isn't exactly my area of expertise but i don't think the finish would greatly impact your ability to use a specific playing technique.
89 Epiphone LP Honeyburst
Boss ME-70

Fender Dreadnought Acoustic
Ibanez RG350DX
Blackstar HT-5R
Orange CR35LDX
Vox Tonelab ST
festivalinhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:10 AM   #3
MaaZeus

Some people do have sticky fingers especially when they sweat. Glossy neck has a lot of surface for your thumb to grip (its like sliding your thumb on window) on where satin breaks the contact. But before doing anything drastic i would make sure you dont death grip the neck.

If the neck really is the culript you could satin the neck with 0000 steel wool or over 1000 grit water sandpaper. Just be careful, the sandpaper especially eats the lacquer away fast. 0000 steel wool is so fine that it has minimal wear on the finish, but drops steel dust instead so protect the pickups on your guitar while working.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
parhelia_0000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
Some people do have sticky fingers especially when they sweat. Glossy neck has a lot of surface for your thumb to grip (its like sliding your thumb on window) on where satin breaks the contact. But before doing anything drastic i would make sure you dont death grip the neck.

If the neck really is the culript you could satin the neck with 0000 steel wool or over 1000 grit water sandpaper. Just be careful, the sandpaper especially eats the lacquer away fast. 0000 steel wool is so fine that it has minimal wear on the finish, but drops steel dust instead so protect the pickups on your guitar while working.

I actually do have sweaty hands whenever I play the guitar. If I do need to sand down the neck, would a 250 grit sandpaper work? That's probably the only type of sandpaper I can get from my school.

Also, I wonder if there are any other professionals who have had similar issues as I do right now.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by parhelia_0000
I actually do have sweaty hands whenever I play the guitar. If I do need to sand down the neck, would a 250 grit sandpaper work? That's probably the only type of sandpaper I can get from my school.

Also, I wonder if there are any other professionals who have had similar issues as I do right now.

No! That is really coarse stuff and only useful for sanding all of the finish away. You need 1000 at least, even bigger. I used 1200 on my Jackson. Ask your teacher, he may have some. If not its cheap in hardware store, as is the 0000 steelwool.

With sandpaper all it needs is light swipes back and forth few times to break the surface into satin feeling (youll feel it with your fingers). Moisture the paper a bit and wipe the neck clean after you are finished.

Ive heard some people using baby powder on their fretting hand to keep it from sweating and getting sticky.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 12-31-2013 at 09:57 AM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
parhelia_0000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
No! That is really coarse stuff and only useful for sanding all of the finish away. You need 1000 at least, even bigger. I used 1200 on my Jackson. Ask your teacher, he may have some. If not its cheap in hardware store, as is the 0000 steelwool.

With sandpaper all it needs is light swipes back and forth few times to break the surface into satin feeling (youll feel it with your fingers). Moisture the paper a bit and wipe the neck clean after you are finished.

Ive heard some people using baby powder on their fretting hand to keep it from sweating and getting sticky.

Hmm...baby powder? That's new.
Thanks for the help by the way. I just hope that I can speed up my guitar shredding sometime soon.

PS Happy new year to you!
Old 01-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #7
CJGunner7

It's your technique, i had the same problem but eventually the problem just disappears
Old 01-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
drop1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJGunner7
It's your technique, i had the same problem but eventually the problem just disappears

drop1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #9
Facecut
Vorsitzender

I would need to see a video of you playing to be certain, but I think it's your technique.

Rate This Thread: