Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-20-2009, 02:40 AM   #1
Sandman71486

Question Ibanez SZ320 Toggle Switchand EMGs?!

I have a problem wiring my EMG pups (81 & 60 to be exact) into my SZ320. Now the diagrams from EMG have a different toggle switch then what Ibanez decided to put in mine. Ibanez decided to put this hideous thing they call a 3-way toggle into my guitar. It has 12 WIRING POSTS!!! 12!!! 3 rows of 4. Originally I was able to get my Bridge pup to select, but the middle and top possition would only select the neck. the middle wouldn't select both like it should. Now i try figuring it out looking at various diagrams and now only my bridge works. I contacted EMG and they told me they've never heard of anything like that kind of switch, so he gives me the number to, and i quote "those nuckle-heads over at Ibanez". So, I call Ibanez. And they don't have any diagram on how to wire EMG's. How is that possible. I've seen it done before, in my exact model guitar. EMG is one of the biggest pickup companys, and they don't have a diagram for it. So if someone could PLEASE help me resolve this situation, i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Sandman71486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:43 AM   #2
littlephil

Just get a new switch. Those are superswitches used for split coils, series/parallel wiring etc without having to have push/pull pots.
littlephil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:47 AM   #3
Sandman71486

If i can resolve it without having to spend more money i'd rather do that. $200 is enough for pickups, lol.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:49 AM   #4
littlephil

Well, the switch will be less than $10. Not exactly expensive. Plus superswitches are expensive, you could probably sell it. 5-way superswitches go for like $40 on ebay. You could sell yours for about $20 I think. Or just keep trying to wire it.
littlephil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:54 AM   #5
bellerophon

Did you ask Ibanez for a diagram for your switch?

Once you know which terminals are which, wiring any pickups (inc EMG) should be easy

2 more things:

if you post a picture of how you're wiring it now we might be able to spot something.

I take it that this switch was working fine with your old pickups? Did you make a note of which wire went where before removing them?

Last edited by bellerophon : 02-20-2009 at 02:56 AM.
bellerophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:17 AM   #6
SomeoneYouKnew
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman71486
I have a problem wiring my EMG pups (81 & 60 to be exact) into my SZ320. Now the diagrams from EMG have a different toggle switch then what Ibanez decided to put in mine. Ibanez decided to put this hideous thing they call a 3-way toggle into my guitar. It has 12 WIRING POSTS!!! 12!!! 3 rows of 4. Originally I was able to get my Bridge pup to select, but the middle and top possition would only select the neck. the middle wouldn't select both like it should. Now i try figuring it out looking at various diagrams and now only my bridge works. I contacted EMG and they told me they've never heard of anything like that kind of switch, so he gives me the number to, and i quote "those nuckle-heads over at Ibanez". So, I call Ibanez. And they don't have any diagram on how to wire EMG's. How is that possible. I've seen it done before, in my exact model guitar. EMG is one of the biggest pickup companys, and they don't have a diagram for it. So if someone could PLEASE help me resolve this situation, i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

1 - Don't bad mouth Ibanez over this situation or repeat any shit remarks about them made by EMG. They built the guitar and a damned good one it is. They can't be responsible for you messing with their wiring, not having a clue what you're doing. Shame on you for blaming them!

2 - EMG is an aftermarket manufacturer in this case. As such, any burden of teaching you how to install their product lies on them, NOT on Ibanez. Ibanez DOES a great job of making their wiring diagrams available. It's up to you and EMG to work with what they provide, NOT the other way round.

3 - The switch in that circuit is a 4PDT on-on-on type. It's a great switch and is very versatile. They used it so the pickups would be automatically split in the center position. Do a bit of research on how on-on-on switches work and you will have no problems figuring out how to wire it successfully.

4 - The (stock) wiring diagram for your guitar is attached. Enjoy.

I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
SomeoneYouKnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
Sandman71486

I wasn't directly bad mouthing Ibanez. I love my guitar! I've had it for over 4 years now and it still feels like the day i got it. Thanks for the diagram, but I've seen that one a million time. There's a lot more wire in there then what EMG required, and what they gave me, so that's mainly my delema. And since they're active, there's no ground wires, just wires to the battery.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
bellerophon

From the looks of the diagram SYK posted you can just wire up the EMGs to the Neck and Bridge Vols as shown and the Vol pots to the switch as shown and then the Tone pot to the switch and jack.

Read the switch left to right, top to bottom as terminals 1 - 12 and neck vol to 9, bridge vol to 10 and tone pot to 8+11. Ignore the rest.

If you miss out the coil split wiring terminals altogether it should work.

Just wire the rest like a normal active pickup guitar (25k pots, battery and jack).
bellerophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #9
microwave-man

Yeh i've da same problem i cant find a wirinf diagram newer
microwave-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
SomeoneYouKnew
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwave-man
Yeh i've da same problem i cant find a wirinf diagram newer
f u haz teh same prollm, u can jsut do liek bellerophon sed.
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.

Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew : 08-26-2009 at 03:45 PM.
SomeoneYouKnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
tontaube

As I didn't find a picture or wiring diagram how to wire the 12 pin 4P3T switch of my Ibanez SZ320 to the EMG JH solderless system here's how I finally wired the switch and it's working.

I've removed the original wires for the neck and bridge pickup and soldered in new pieces of cable. I've connected the wires as marked to the EMG connector. About the white wire I'm not sure if this is really ground - I've found now difference if I connect the white to the EMG ground connection or leave it unconnected.

By the way: this video was of great help for the general installation:
EMG solderless installation instruction
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0051.jpg (75.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0061.JPG (54.8 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by tontaube : 12-27-2013 at 07:26 PM.
tontaube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
Invader Jim
Jim'll fix it.

Thanks for the info but this thread is 4 years old...

Another forced hiatus...
Invader Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: