Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-30-2015, 06:00 AM   #6921
john_latchem
Isaac Vs UG

Hello there!

Recently did a re-wire because of a botch job I did on one of my guitars (coil-tap which I never used broke the volume pot) and I've botched said re-wire, lol. HSS strat with a 5-way, 2 tones, one vol, but now one of the tones works backwards and the other one works as a volume .

Anyway, I want to open her up again and fix the wiring, but I was wondering if anyone has a HSS strat diagram that has a master tone for the 2 single-coils and a tone for the humbucker, instead of just 2 tones for the singles? No coil-taps, push-pulls or anything fancy required, just that one little tweak.
Listening: Tyler, The Creator - Cherry Bomb
PSN/XBL/facebook/Steam : Latchem72
Origin/Twitter: JLatchem72
john_latchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:00 AM   #6922
brakketeunis

Hi Guys,

Im sitting here with a custom made guitar. internally its supposed to be the same as a jagstang. However, when it arrived i noticed the wiring wasn't dont properly. Im going to change the switches and while it's open, i i will replace the pickups as well.

I bought 2 2-way switches. These switches have 6 connectors each. while the original jagstang has 8 on each switch. Im trying to rethink the wiring, but i lack the ability to do so because im not experienced with this. I have made a diagram. Could you guys confirm me if this will work or not?

maybe not worth mentioning. but each switch is supposed to turn it's pickup on/off. there's not actual switching between pickups.

Last edited by brakketeunis : 06-09-2015 at 07:01 AM.
brakketeunis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:45 PM   #6923
brakketeunis

Anybody?
Old 06-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #6924
Rocketface2112
Face of rockery

if im correct, your diagram should work fine. just from the jagstang diagram you posted it seems like the 2 inner poles on the switch are bridged together, which basiclly makes the switch a normal 6 pin DPDT switch

im by no means an expert,if you want you can wait a few more days for a more expierenced person to reply, it normally takes a few days to get a reply.
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Rocketface2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #6925
xnameisonx

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakketeunis
Hi Guys,

Im sitting here with a custom made guitar. internally its supposed to be the same as a jagstang. However, when it arrived i noticed the wiring wasn't dont properly. Im going to change the switches and while it's open, i i will replace the pickups as well.

I bought 2 2-way switches. These switches have 6 connectors each. while the original jagstang has 8 on each switch. Im trying to rethink the wiring, but i lack the ability to do so because im not experienced with this. I have made a diagram. Could you guys confirm me if this will work or not?

maybe not worth mentioning. but each switch is supposed to turn it's pickup on/off. there's not actual switching between pickups.

I've not used one before but from a quick google search it looks like those switches with eight connections are 3 position switches.

If you wire your switches that way you'll just change the phase of each pickup but not be able to turn either off
xnameisonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:16 PM   #6926
xnameisonx

Sorry for the poor quality but I don't have anything that can draw good diagrams (if anyone wants to recommend any apps that would let me make wiring diagrams on an android tablet that would be nice)

So the black wire is the pickups hot wire
The red wire connects to the volume control

So just do that for both pickups and you should be ok
Attached Images

Last edited by xnameisonx : 06-10-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:31 PM   #6927
Tallwood13

i use photoshop for my diagrams. It's a bit tricky at first but even every day life I use photoshop a lot. I should post all my blank potentiometers and all that I use.

Quote:
Recently did a re-wire because of a botch job I did on one of my guitars (coil-tap which I never used broke the volume pot) and I've botched said re-wire, lol. HSS strat with a 5-way, 2 tones, one vol, but now one of the tones works backwards and the other one works as a volume

the hot lead on one of the tones is backwards, the hot is going to the wrong contact. if the pot is upside down and the contacts facing the other contact use the two on the left , seymour duncan diagram style is how i suggest approaching this.

the other one becoming the volume knob I haven't a clue, double check everything this is my go to wiring site when guys ask me. two other more advanced ones are below.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/ca...iring_diagrams/
https://sites.google.com/site/phost...diagrams/custom

Last edited by Tallwood13 : 06-10-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Tallwood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:50 PM   #6928
xnameisonx

Well now I feel kinda stupid :p

I have image editor but never thought to use it for diagrams
Thanks tallwood
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2015, 11:06 PM   #6929
xnameisonx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallwood13
i use photoshop for my diagrams. It's a bit tricky at first but even every day life I use photoshop a lot. I should post all my blank potentiometers and all that I use.

the hot lead on one of the tones is backwards, the hot is going to the wrong contact. if the pot is upside down and the contacts facing the other contact use the two on the left , seymour duncan diagram style is how i suggest approaching this.

the other one becoming the volume knob I haven't a clue, double check everything this is my go to wiring site when guys ask me. two other more advanced ones are below.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/ca...iring_diagrams/
https://sites.google.com/site/phost...diagrams/custom

I would guess that he put a wire where the capacitor should be.
Or maybe the cap is faulty. I don't know what happens when a cap fails though so I don't know.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:37 AM   #6930
brakketeunis

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnameisonx

Thanks tallwood

Thanks, this does seem to make way more sense than my idea. I'm going to give it a shot!
Old 06-11-2015, 06:40 AM   #6931
brakketeunis

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnameisonx

Thanks tallwood

Question. Assuming yellow on the single coil and green on the humbucker are the hot wires, Why did you connect the humbucker's hot wire to the single coil's ground? or did you accidently mix these up?
Old 06-11-2015, 07:28 AM   #6932
xnameisonx

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakketeunis
Question. Assuming yellow on the single coil and green on the humbucker are the hot wires, Why did you connect the humbucker's hot wire to the single coil's ground? or did you accidently mix these up?

Sorry
I was assuming that the humbucker's black wire was hot and green was ground.
As for the single coil, again not sure which would be which

What I would do is wire it like my diagram, then if it doesn't sound right, just swap the wires round for one of the pickups.

Rate This Thread: