Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
\Powerslave/
Steel Winged Warrior

Tales of Medusa - Epic Metal; The Greatest Discovery During My Absence

I joined these wonderful forums in 2008. It has been many years and my journey has brought me to many a band. However, the last 2-3 years I have hardly posted due to a mix of school and declining quality of the forum.

During those 2-3 years I have come across many a band, but Tales of Medusa have stuck with me a little more than the others.

Let's just start off by saying this band is named from a song on Dark Age(US)'s monumental self titled EP. That alone should be an indicator on this band's quality.

There is much mystery shrouding this band. The archives do a sufficient job of explaining it:
Quote:
"There is very little known about the band, factually speaking, including when they formed and who exactly is in the band. What is known is that the band presses and releases their own albums and have thus far only had them distributed through themselves, sending their material out free of charge to the buyer. As a result of this, the pressings are very limited."

The band chooses who is worthy of their music.

When I was first graced by Tales of Medusa, I was almost brought to tears. Some random fukk I met and friended on League of Legends told me had a special band for me that I would enjoy. Never did I imagine I'd come across something like this. The first time I listened to The Gates to Tartarus I was nearly brought to tears. I compare the feeling to that of when I first listened to Solstice or when I first discovered Atantean Kodex in 2008. I'd go so far as to say I got the same shivers when I first listened to Will of the Gods is Great Power. Tales of Medusa is perhaps not on the same level, but they are something great indeed.

Without further ado; I present TALES OF MEDUSA.

\Powerslave/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Kepulix
The Witchfinder

Strangely enough I stumbled across this band just a few weeks ago.

Very solid and quality stuff, though it doesn't quite resonate me with me as much as the greats you mentioned ó Atlantean Kodex, Solstice or Scald ó do. There are some truly excellent moments found in their music.

I might compare this band to Gatekeeper (also from Canada), who are very much on the right track, but still have some way to go. These guys are much farther in their journey though.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyardís mouldering stones I recognise a name Ė my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Kepulix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
\Powerslave/
Steel Winged Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepulix
Strangely enough I stumbled across this band just a few weeks ago.

Very solid and quality stuff, though it doesn't quite resonate me with me as much as the greats you mentioned ó Atlantean Kodex, Solstice or Scald ó do. There are some truly excellent moments found in their music.

I might compare this band to Gatekeeper (also from Canada), who are very much on the right track, but still have some way to go. These guys are much farther in their journey though.

Yes, Kepulix, my brother. I very much agree. The sound is there, very much so. They need a little time to refine it. Have you heard Cromlech? Their name alone should give away their influences. They, too, fall under the same category. A big sound influenced by Solstice/AK, but still sophomoric. The grand, epic metal sound is hard to nail down properly.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Kepulix
The Witchfinder

I am not familiar with Cromlech, no. A short album preview on Youtube sounded highly promising. I will investigate further.

EDIT: I like how one of their tracks is named Lend Me Your Steel. There's not enough Solstice-worship in this world... Frankly, there's very little of such.

Last edited by Kepulix : 12-22-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

I love the Dark Age EP. Was just listening to it not too long ago actually. This band certainly does their namesake justice. They have more in-your-face energy than most modern trad/epic metal bands I've heard recently. I sense a spark here, and a lot of potential.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
romencer17
UG God

I have Triumphant Serenade on my computer but don't recall it making much of an impression on me... guess I gotta try again

Sumdeus
romencer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
\Powerslave/
Steel Winged Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepulix
I am not familiar with Cromlech, no. A short album preview on Youtube sounded highly promising. I will investigate further.

EDIT: I like how one of their tracks is named Lend Me Your Steel. There's not enough Solstice-worship in this world... Frankly, there's very little of such.

Did you expect much less from a band named CROMLECH ? It's nothing but New Dark Age worship. I have high hopes for that band in particular. Like Tales of Medusa, their release had many flashes of brilliance. I think they're obviously a tier below Solstice and AK, but the sound is there.

@Kyto + Romancer; I think Tales have many flashes of brilliance on their various EPs and two full lengths. The quality isn't exactly maintained throughout the entirety of the full lengths but if every song was on equal quality to The Gates to Tartarus then I'd be putting these guys parallel with Atlantean Kodex + Solstice.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Kepulix
The Witchfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by \Powerslave/
Did you expect much less from a band named CROMLECH ?
Too often have I been disappointed with promising band names. How can a band named Conan suck so much?

Old 12-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
beadhangingOne
Gnomesaiyan?

This is good stuff! Great find. The thing I like the most is that it sounds so vintage yet authentic.

The Spirit shall look out through Matter's gaze
And Matter shall reveal the Spirit's face.
beadhangingOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:47 AM   #10
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene

These guys are cool as ****, thanks for the Rec.
BL1NDSIDE-J is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: