Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
zeppfloyd93

Need to upgrade

Hi I'm kinda new here, just an amateur player I just play guitar at home as a hobby. Been playing for a few years but I don't have much money to spend on gear.

I have about $700 to spend.

I want to just basically improve the overall tone and sound that I get just a little. I want that sort of generic 70's blues-rock/classic rock type of tone: Think Zep, Montrose, Free, Foghat, Deep Purple...
As well as if I could get that sort of 90's desert/fuzz rock like Kyuss, Corrosion of Conformity, Monster Magnet, etc.

The only gear that I currently have
-Epiphone Les Paul
-Marshall MG 30FX
-Vox Wah
-Big Muff Pi
-Fulltone GT-500

I like the LP but some of the gear I probably didn't choose very wisely...

Anyhow, any suggestions on what I should spend my money on would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by zeppfloyd93 : 12-26-2013 at 06:59 AM.
zeppfloyd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

You really need a new amp.

As you only play at home, a modeller would give you the most versatility. A Vox VT is my favourite modeller for classic rock tones, but you should check out the other main contenders as well (Peavey Vypyr, Fender Mustang & Roland Cube) to see which you prefer.

Are you ever likely to want to play in a band, or get into jam sessions involving a drummer? If you think the answer may be yes, then you should really look into getting a tube amp.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
zeppfloyd93

I've had nothing but trouble with this amp since I got it really. I had to glue the input in with super glue because it kept falling inside the amp... and it crackles a good bit of the time and it's a bit on the short end of the stick when it comes to options and versatility.. I have been wanting a new one but didn't know what to get. What exactly would be the difference in a modelling amp and a tube amp? (Sorry I don't know very much about the specifics of gear)

And what do you think about upgrading pickups? I just have the standard ones still.

Last edited by zeppfloyd93 : 12-26-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
Phoenix V
Registered MUser

The Epiphone is fine, so is the Vox wah, the big muff and Fulltone.

Don't worry about pickups. Its the MG that's hurting your sound the most. Concentrate your funds on an upgrade. I'd go tube even if you don't play in a band.

My gear is in my Profile

Hondo 780 Deluxe Refurb

Gibson Studio Build
Phoenix V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
zeppfloyd93

Ok thanks

What are some good suggestions for a good tube amp with good versatility thats generally under $700?
Old 12-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
guy_tebache
is not a duck

I just got a Blackstar HT-20 which you could easily pick up for that much. Its a great little 20w combo. You could also look at something like an orange tiny terror, or a vox ac15. All of them are great low price amps.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
zeppfloyd93

Ok thanks!

I'm going to go to a local shop in a few hours and just browse, but I might end up buying online.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

That's always the best thing to do - we can only tell you what amps we like but everyone's opinion is different.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
kurt_cobain9
UG's Favorite Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy_tebache
I just got a Blackstar HT-20 which you could easily pick up for that much. Its a great little 20w combo. You could also look at something like an orange tiny terror, or a vox ac15. All of them are great low price amps.

agree with this guy.

I have a Blackstar HT Club 40 and I love that thing. versatile amp.

kurt_cobain9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Emperor's Child
PUT YOU IN MY OVEN!

A Blackstar HT-1 or HT-5 would make more sense for bedroom antics imo.
Emperor's Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:48 AM   #11
zeppfloyd93

Thanks guys for the feedback!

I ended up with a vox ac15c1. I love it, so clean and crisp, but i'm gonna have to get some more pedals to get the crunch i want, i find. Probably shouldve gone with a blackstar.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:38 AM   #12
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppfloyd93
Thanks guys for the feedback!

I ended up with a vox ac15c1. I love it, so clean and crisp, but i'm gonna have to get some more pedals to get the crunch i want, i find. Probably shouldve gone with a blackstar.

meh, I have the ht20, and it's not all that great for classic tones, really hard to dial in anything. It thrives in higher gain areas.

Wish I would have saw this thread the other day. I would have suggested an old fender of some sort. Lots of cool vintage stuff that can be had for around that price range if you're patient. Something to think about NEXT time you get an amp hahaha. Get the amp those bands were using.

Enjoy the vox though, they're great amps.

Music Blog
Follow me on Twitter
scguitarking927 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: