Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #1101
UFC on VHS
Megadeth>Metallica

I got the guy to go down to $425 for the JSX combo we agreed on it last night, he has emailed me today though asking if I would rather have the stock speakers. He also mentioned that the Celestion is a 30 watt as Dave mc pointed out and he said that I would have to watch the bass at louder volumes..

Should I take the stock speakers or these so called uprgraded speakers??? He claimed that the new speakers are substantially lighter which is a big plus for me not to mention if it will be better tone. I don't wanna buy this amp and have the ****in thing blow up me ether though..

edit: Scumback H75 and Celestion G12H30 are the replaced speakers in it currently.

Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY 6505+ 112

Last edited by UFC on VHS : 05-23-2015 at 04:35 PM.
UFC on VHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:42 PM   #1102
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV-95
Really? I thought it was pretty obvious

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what people mean by "harsh" when talking about highs.

None the less, I thought the WGS V30 sounded really good even compared to the Celestion offering, and considering its price point... I think we have a winner.

Keep in mind the WGS V30 isn't a straight clone
They actually tamed some of the ice pick highs the V30 is known for
darkwolf291 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #1103
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFC on VHS
I got the guy to go down to $425 for the JSX combo we agreed on it last night, he has emailed me today though asking if I would rather have the stock speakers. He also mentioned that the Celestion is a 30 watt as Dave mc pointed out and he said that I would have to watch the bass at louder volumes..

Should I take the stock speakers or these so called uprgraded speakers??? He claimed that the new speakers are substantially lighter which is a big plus for me not to mention if it will be better tone. I don't wanna buy this amp and have the ****in thing blow up me ether though..

edit: Scumback H75 and Celestion G12H30 are the replaced speakers in it currently.

Why not both? Also, the H75 is a 30w speaker as well IIRC.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #1104
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^^ It depends. Depending on how much legwork you're willing to do, maybe you could sell the g12h30 and get a higher wattage speaker to combine with the scumback and save a bit of money (versus taking the stock speakers and having to replace both).

EDIT: ^ good spot, i missed that. I think you're right, the 75 refers to the resonance/model name (75Hz i.e. not the one with the bass cone) rather than the wattage.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:52 PM   #1105
UFC on VHS
Megadeth>Metallica

How has this guy been playing this amp like this?? If you use the power switch to run the amp at half power is 2 30w speakers okay?? Sorry I don't even really understand the basics of this stuff.

Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
UFC on VHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #1106
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

Ran at 60W with 30W speakers, each speaker will see 30W
So it's theoretically ok, but amps can put out more watts than spec'd.
I wouldn't run it too loud with them in it.
darkwolf291 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #1107
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

The speaker rating is the maximum continuous dissipation, running the amp at a max wattage of 60 would be very unlikely to ever cause those speakers to fail, even if it was cranked.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #1108
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah especially if they're one of the more conservatively-rated ones, like (most) celestions. Not sure how conservatively-rated scumbacks are, but if they're pretty straight clones, probably reasonably.

if he was running it at half power it's probably ok.

even full power if he kept the volume very low it's probably ok.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #1109
H4T3BR33D3R
Flying High

How junky are Affinity Telecasters on a scale from 1 to 10? What is a good price for one used?

Got a guy offering one and cash to trade for my Excelsior.

Only at times, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
There are sites called plushdotyiff where people talk about yiffing plushies

Axel in heat.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:11 PM   #1110
trashedlostfdup
likes hamuckers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
How junky are Affinity Telecasters on a scale from 1 to 10? What is a good price for one used?

Got a guy offering one and cash to trade for my Excelsior.

Not terrible. Definitely workable. I wouldn't pay more than $80 for one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
See what I mean by, "they demonised it"? Tim's attitude is typical of what they did to everybody. The media drove that sort of Disney shit into everybody's brain. Only old farts like me missed it in our formative years.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:28 PM   #1111
H4T3BR33D3R
Flying High

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
Not terrible. Definitely workable. I wouldn't pay more than $80 for one though.

Yeah 80 is around the ballpark I was thinking. Thanks.

Only at times, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
There are sites called plushdotyiff where people talk about yiffing plushies

Axel in heat.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:02 PM   #1112
Spambot_2
UG's rum aficionado

Decent, but I'd much rather have an excelsior.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:16 PM   #1113
zhancheng94

Hi everyone,

Just bought Roland Micro Cube GX online and will receive it in next week.

Did a lot of research and finally decided to go with this one, then after I placed my order I read a comment on one of the guitar related websites I don't remember which, the guy was saying that this amp sounds better when connect to the AC adapter than when it's battery powered.

I can't seem to find where I read that comment from, I tried to find it so I can show you guys but I just can't find it anymore

What I'm trying to figure out is for those of you who own this amp, do you notice the difference when it's powered by battery and when it's powered by AC adapter? I ask this because my situation only allows me to use this amp with batteries (it's hard to explain the reason why, I would have to provide details lol), I would feel bad if this thing does sound better when powered by AC adapter since I will only be using this with batteries, at least 95% of the time, and it means I'm using something without getting the most out of it, I hate that

I know I can wait and test it myself but I can't wait any longer, I would really appreciate it if someone can answer this

Last edited by zhancheng94 : 05-25-2015 at 08:21 PM.
zhancheng94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:05 AM   #1114
addseo1115
Banned

I Love Untimate Guitar. \m/
addseo1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:25 AM   #1115
Spambot_2
UG's rum aficionado

If anything, the amp might sound better when running on batteries.

Maybe the guy's batteries were a bit old and tired.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:09 PM   #1116
zhancheng94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
If anything, the amp might sound better when running on batteries.

Maybe the guy's batteries were a bit old and tired.

I'll take your word for it, you're a sound designer lol
Yea it's odd that the guy says that because reading all the comments and he was the only one saying something like that...
How was your experience with this amp BTW?
Would AA rechargeable batteries fit since they're fatter?
Thank you!!!

Last edited by zhancheng94 : 05-26-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #1117
Spambot_2
UG's rum aficionado

I'm not that much of a sound designer anymore, but thanks still

I've never played that amp myself, my answer was just out of thinking - current coming from a wall wart might be "dirty" and cause buzz, but batteries simply don't do that.
Also using old/used batteries is the recipe for having something not working as it should, and that applies to pedals, amps, TV remotes...

I really have no idea what batteries that amp works with either, sorry
Old 05-26-2015, 03:43 PM   #1118
spyrochr

Hello. I am using an EBMM JP6 (John Petrucci signature) model with the piezo pickup. I would like to ask how exactly can I make a stereo cable work to achieve even volume on the piezo and the magnetic pickups. I'm using a standard mono cable on the mono jack (the higher one) and whenever I switch to piezo mode, the volume drops significantly.
I have tried a stereo cable and I can't produce any sound whatsoever (neither with the magnetic nor with the piezo pickups). Should I buy something else apart from the cable or am I missing something? I am using a Mesa Boogie Mark IV amp, if that helps.
spyrochr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:55 PM   #1119
nick.culliton
not a real lobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFC on VHS

The JSX speakers are quite heavy and are rated 75W. If you ever want to try the stock speakers, I have some from a JSX cab.

1979 Fender Bassman 100
Peavey JSX prototype 2x12 cab w/Vintage 30s

Polytune 2 > Full-Drive 3 > OCD > Freeze > CH-1 > Ekko 616 Dark > Hall of Fame > GE-7

My Band - Debut EP OUT NOW!
nick.culliton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:56 PM   #1120
zhancheng94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
I'm not that much of a sound designer anymore, but thanks still

I've never played that amp myself, my answer was just out of thinking - current coming from a wall wart might be "dirty" and cause buzz, but batteries simply don't do that.
Also using old/used batteries is the recipe for having something not working as it should, and that applies to pedals, amps, TV remotes...

I really have no idea what batteries that amp works with either, sorry

Thank you thank you

Rate This Thread: