Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #121
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrodthebobo
Jeese. Only on UG can a simple comment about something can be twisted and turned into a huge flaming argument of pure mental ******ation

It's not only on UG

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #122
Dimarzio45
So Sad

Ahem.....Well Then!

I was thinking about hooking up my solid state head and using that as somewhat of a MultiFX unit and bringing that into a tube head. I wanted to "tube-up" the sound. Any thoughts on this? Will this actually help or should it be wired up the opposite way?
Dimarzio45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #123
Jarrodthebobo
Youth Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
It's not only on UG

Good point

Shoulda thought that through a bit better.

FrankenBee Build
Jarrodthebobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #124
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimarzio45
Ahem.....Well Then!

I was thinking about hooking up my solid state head and using that as somewhat of a MultiFX unit and bringing that into a tube head. I wanted to "tube-up" the sound. Any thoughts on this? Will this actually help or should it be wired up the opposite way?

If they both have effects loops, it's simplicity itself. If not it's still possible, but more problematic.

What amps do you have?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #125
Dimarzio45
So Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
If they both have effects loops, it's simplicity itself. If not it's still possible, but more problematic.

What amps do you have?

The Solid State is a Vetta II and the tube head is a 1969 Fanon Masco. The problem is that the Fanon Masco doesn't have an FX loop. Eventually I'm going to add to the Tube amp collection....Maybe a Carvin head....or combo.

Edit: The Vetta II is a Line 6 - One of the only good amps that company has ever cranked out...
Old 04-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #126
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
The Solid State is a Vetta II and the tube head is a 1969 Fanon Masco. The problem is that the Fanon Masco doesn't have an FX loop. Eventually I'm going to add to the Tube amp collection....Maybe a Carvin head....or combo.

Edit: The Vetta II is a Line 6 - One of the only good amps that company has ever cranked out...

well, i can't really tell you how good it will sound, but if you wanna hook the Masco to the Vetta II then you can get an attenuator with a line out on it (i think weber, among others, makes one). this will provide a dummy load for the Masco (to protect) and then convert the signal to something you can send to the Vetta II.

i have heard a lot of good things about the Vetta series, so don't get your hopes up too high for a better 'tube sound'

another option (if you wanna use the vetta as a power amp) is to get a tube preamp (Hughes and Ketner make floor ones, you can also get rackmount ones from like ENGL, Mesa or Marshall)

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #127
Dimarzio45
So Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
well, i can't really tell you how good it will sound, but if you wanna hook the Masco to the Vetta II then you can get an attenuator with a line out on it (i think weber, among others, makes one). this will provide a dummy load for the Masco (to protect) and then convert the signal to something you can send to the Vetta II.

i have heard a lot of good things about the Vetta series, so don't get your hopes up too high for a better 'tube sound'

another option (if you wanna use the vetta as a power amp) is to get a tube preamp (Hughes and Ketner make floor ones, you can also get rackmount ones from like ENGL, Mesa or Marshall)

Yeah. I'm more in favor of the tube preamp instead just because it's a bit simpler. What I have been doing, and getting decent results, is plugging the headphone output into the input of the tube head. I know, it's crappy to use the headphone output because if I'm going wrong anywhere in the setup, that is definitely the place to start...

Could you, or someone, explain what an attenuator is and how that could possibly help my setup?...
Old 04-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #128
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Yeah. I'm more in favor of the tube preamp instead just because it's a bit simpler. What I have been doing, and getting decent results, is plugging the headphone output into the input of the tube head. I know, it's crappy to use the headphone output because if I'm going wrong anywhere in the setup, that is definitely the place to start...

Could you, or someone, explain what an attenuator is and how that could possibly help my setup?...

man, i got what you were trying to do backward. i thought you were trying to plug the tube amp into the Solid State one. this means an attenuator won't do anything for what you wanna do.

the vetta has an effects loop right (you mentioned it did earlier)?

send the 'effects loop out' to the tube amp's input. the signal may be a little hot and the impedance might not be optimal, but it should work.

you can also send the headphone out, but that is a little sketchy. i am sure you are keeping the volume low on the headphone out, but are you also converting the TRS signal to a TS? and i am also sure there is an impedance mismatch... but w/e. if it sounds good and nothing sounds like it is straining then it is far from ideal but shouldn't hurt anything.

-ae
Old 04-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #129
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:

I THINK the following will work, but follow these instructions at your own risk!!

On the Vetta you'll need to set up the OUTPUT to direct (turns off the speakers), which allows your master volume knob to control the 1/4 DIRECT out level, then patch from the 1/4 wet direct out on the Vetta to the input on your Fanon Masco with the Master volume on the Vetta OFF, then ever so slowly raise it until you get the 'right' signal.

Should work, but YMMV. No guarantees, expressed or implied!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #130
Dimarzio45
So Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
I THINK the following will work, but follow these instructions at your own risk!!

On the Vetta you'll need to set up the OUTPUT to direct (turns off the speakers), which allows your master volume knob to control the 1/4 DIRECT out level, then patch from the 1/4 wet direct out on the Vetta to the input on your Fanon Masco with the Master volume on the Vetta OFF, then ever so slowly raise it until you get the 'right' signal.

Should work, but YMMV. No guarantees, expressed or implied!

Oh okay. haha sounds risky. But, Gumbilicious brought up a good point; I could use the FX loop OUT on the Vetta and plug that into the input of the head. Seems like it should work better than the Headphone out, for sure. However, I'm stupid when it comes to FX loops considering that I've never really used them at all....So the FX loop OUT could work for sending the signal to the tube head? If so, that'd be great!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #131
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Oh okay. haha sounds risky. But, Gumbilicious brought up a good point; I could use the FX loop OUT on the Vetta and plug that into the input of the head. Seems like it should work better than the Headphone out, for sure. However, I'm stupid when it comes to FX loops considering that I've never really used them at all....So the FX loop OUT could work for sending the signal to the tube head? If so, that'd be great!

both can do it, both aren't 100% optimal.

i just pulled up a pic of the back of the amp, arby saw that the vetta has 'Direct Outputs' though. this is the output you wanna use over the effects loop or headphone outs. use the 1/4" unbalanced outputs.

arby's advice is more solid in this situation.

-ae
Old 04-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #132
Dimarzio45
So Sad

ahhhh okay. I confused myself with the Direct Outs and a Headphone Out. My Spider head has a headphone out, not the Vetta. I've been using the Direct Outs to the tube head....I'll still have to try out the FX loop just for kicks to see what the difference may be...

I appreciate the help, guys! Thanks!

Rate This Thread: