Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #301
Helicopters!
You need a new amp.

How's the clean channel on the BV-60H? I can get one for ridiculously cheap. All I need is good cleans and onboard reverb. I'm also thinking about a Peavey Valveking and Fender Blues Deluxe, but they're a lot more expensive than the Blue Voodoo I can get my hands on.
Helicopters! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:05 AM   #302
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopters!
How's the clean channel on the BV-60H? I can get one for ridiculously cheap. All I need is good cleans and onboard reverb. I'm also thinking about a Peavey Valveking and Fender Blues Deluxe, but they're a lot more expensive than the Blue Voodoo I can get my hands on.

Cleans are good and reverb is nice.

I'm not sure how it stack against the Fender Blues Deluxe. Personally I liked the cleans on the BV better than the valveking.

I'd be curious to see what others say. You might want to make your own thread. Not a lot of people read this one.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #303
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Cleans are good.

But if they aren't good enough, just use a clean boost and plug into the FX return and get whatever clean tone you want...
Old 04-25-2014, 08:03 PM   #304
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Cleans are good.

But if they aren't good enough, just use a clean boost and plug into the FX return and get whatever clean tone you want...
So what? Half way through the song you announce to the audience, "hang on, just gotta rewire my rig."

I thought the cleans on the BV were pretty decent if it's set up right with the right tubes and speakers.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:37 PM   #305
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
So what? Half way through the song you announce to the audience, "hang on, just gotta rewire my rig."

I thought the cleans on the BV were pretty decent if it's set up right with the right tubes and speakers.

A.) Screw the audience, they're all drunk anyway.

B.) It wasn't a gig suggestion but since you're being a donk, stick an HD500 in front of it and use it as a power amp only.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:47 PM   #306
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
A.) Screw the audience, they're all drunk anyway.

B.) It wasn't a gig suggestion but since you're being a donk, stick an HD500 in front of it and use it as a power amp only.

+1
Old 05-28-2014, 11:52 PM   #307
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

would the power section good enough to bother with if i were to use it as a slave amp? (120 watter) so i could get a preamp (along the lines of a mesa V twin and stick it into the power amp in? and use the blue voodoo for that?

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #308
Thrashpirate

Hello just picked up a bv 6212 combo. I have been checking this thread and am needing a layout for the tubes please .. I know this amp takes 2 6l6 or el34's, but then it also takes 4 12xa7's and 1 12au7. I would like to know where the preamps go as the labels on the tubes have been worn off and i cannot read. i dont want to put the 12au7 in the wrong positon. thank you
Thrashpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #309
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
would the power section good enough to bother with if i were to use it as a slave amp? (120 watter) so i could get a preamp (along the lines of a mesa V twin and stick it into the power amp in? and use the blue voodoo for that?

Yes.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:46 AM   #310
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Yes.

sweet. it has other use than a boat anchor.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 06-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #311
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
sweet. it has other use than a boat anchor.

I use mine as a power amp only regularly, although I'm not unhappy with the tone I get from the complete unit. I think they get a bad rap, as does most Crate gear, simply due to the name.

I'm ok with that though, it allowed me to buy a Marshall-esque GT500H a couple weeks ago for $100...

Last edited by Arby911 : 06-23-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #312
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Nice score Arby.

They do make great power amps.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #313
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
I use mine as a power amp only regularly, although I'm not unhappy with the tone I get from the complete unit. I think they get a bad rap, as does most Crate gear, simply due to the name.

I'm ok with that though, it allowed me to buy a Marshall-esque GT500H a couple weeks ago for $100...

yea./ i did the mods and its not a bad amp at all, but far from the best an EQ does it wonders.

i don't even remember what i bought mine for but it wasn't much. it had brand new tubes, and the spares and a receipt showing the new tubes purchase date.

but i think i will use it as a power amp for something. how would it fare with a ENGL E530?not ideal but i think it should be able to work? right?

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 06-28-2014, 10:34 PM   #314
Thrashpirate

Just an update on my amplifier. i have the bv6212 and i have noticed the filaments on the power tubes. one stays one and the other is an intermediate on/off causing loud pops and crackling. When i pushed the tube in hard to the socket it would make contact again and the filament would then again light up. First thought was corrosion on the contact pins. so i take the board out and push all the pins back in nice and snug and happen to notice 4 cold/broken soldier joints. Fired up the soldering iron and got to work re-flowing with fresh soldier . Get it all assembled and back together. Power it on and there both working as they should. plug in and play for about 25 mins and notice there still both working. no pops, cackling noises at all Feeling proud of myself as the local repair shop here charges $50.00 per hr and i just saved some cash.
Thrashpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:42 AM   #315
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashpirate
Just an update on my amplifier. i have the bv6212 and i have noticed the filaments on the power tubes. one stays one and the other is an intermediate on/off causing loud pops and crackling. When i pushed the tube in hard to the socket it would make contact again and the filament would then again light up. First thought was corrosion on the contact pins. so i take the board out and push all the pins back in nice and snug and happen to notice 4 cold/broken soldier joints. Fired up the soldering iron and got to work re-flowing with fresh soldier . Get it all assembled and back together. Power it on and there both working as they should. plug in and play for about 25 mins and notice there still both working. no pops, cackling noises at all Feeling proud of myself as the local repair shop here charges $50.00 per hr and i just saved some cash.

nice work. its very satisfying when something goes down and you fix it.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 08-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #316
ghostman1846

Hello! New member after I finally found this thread to mod my BV120H.

I have the newer "Black" version of this amp after finding a killer deal about three years ago. Mint condition and almost never played, it still has the factory Groove Tube's in the Pre's and Power section.

I made two recordings with the Head. One pre-modification, the second is Post modification. The mod's done were the ones suggested in the very first post. I think it completely kills now! The tone controls have much more sweep than before and they each affect the other tone settings as you play with them, so there's a lot more of a learning curve with dialing in the beast now.

Anyways, check them out if you'd like a pre/post comparison. Nothing fancy to the playing, as I am just noodling and listening for tonal changes.

Pre mod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUxIPZgUqkk

and Post Mod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo02S-x_HkU&feature=youtube
ghostman1846 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: