Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Alternative & Indie
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Andrewbiles

RIP Jason Molina

http://www.chunklet.com/index.cfm?section=blogs&ID=743

One of the biggest losses for music. RIP Jason.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic

Last edited by Andrewbiles : 03-19-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Andrewbiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

A real heartbreaking loss. Incredible songwriter. One of those musicians that seemed like he was there for me at low points.
uhh_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
bradulator
through being cool

That sucks, RIP. Familiar name but i'm pretty sure I never listened to any of his music.

What is good of his? I like both of the songs in OP.
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot

oh **** it all

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
jiminizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradulator
That sucks, RIP. Familiar name but i'm pretty sure I never listened to any of his music.

What is good of his? I like both of the songs in OP.

Probably start with the album Magnolia Electric Co. which was the last one released as Songs: Ohia. If you want more sparse and dark, move back through the Ohia stuff. If you want more rock, move forward through the Magnolia Electric Co. releases. Going that way, be aware that Trials and Errors is a live album.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
genghisgandhi
RIP DJ Screw

Goddamn, from what I've heard I really like this guy. I have feel this guy is gonna be my next Jay Reatard
genghisgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #7
Andrewbiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhh_me?
Probably start with the album Magnolia Electric Co. which was the last one released as Songs: Ohia. If you want more sparse and dark, move back through the Ohia stuff. If you want more rock, move forward through the Magnolia Electric Co. releases. Going that way, be aware that Trials and Errors is a live album.

Good recommendations. I've barely stopped playing his records since reading the news, mainly playing 'Didn't it Rain', 'The Lioness' and 'Ghost Tropic' on repeat (my personal favourites - 'Coxcomb red' is definitely one of my 10 favourite songs), the mood on them seems to fit this moment. But over the last few years the MEC records - 'Fading trails' and 'What comes after the blues' - have probably been my most played of his releases.

Read last night that 'Farewell Transmission' was one of a number of tracks recorded in one take. Jason gathered more and more musicians together one day, taught them the chord sequence and that the song would end when he repeated 'listen' three times and then pressed record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Albini
I loved hearing Jason Molina sing. He was a genius at turning a phrase and making it into something more than the words in it. Jason was almost supernaturally prolific, and several times I watched him write an album's worth of songs in a weekend, recording them on the spot. Much of his recorded output with Magnolia Electric Co is the evidence of him and the band playing his songs for the very first time. It's amazing, really, that it was any good at all, much less so touching and fully realized.

Jason was a unique talent and I will miss him. My heart goes out to all his friends and family, all of you I've met have been good people who did well by Jason.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Andrewbiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

Everything is streaming for a while. If you want to start, you can do it here: http://live.magnoliaelectricco.com/

Rate This Thread: