Password
Search:

Old 12-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #81
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3M0N1C
No worries,

The thing is, I'm not exactly used to any particular style of neck, its all gonna feel unfamiliar to me for a while, so I don't know which neck would better suit me to be honest. Would you say one style was easier or more comfortable than the other? I'm not sure on the pros & cons of either.

i'm honestly not sure. it's one of those things that is very much based on personal preference and what you're already used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Again, check out some YouTube vids to see what kind of tones you get mixing in a HB or P90.

But if you're really going for Gilmour's tone- or a lot of those OTHER great Strat guys like Clapton, Hendrix and SRV- SSS is probably the way to go...

...assuming they used their bridge position pickups.

If not*, you literally lose nothing by having a different pickup in the bridge, and gain some tonal flexibility. Handy, if you decide to branch out down the road.

* and I don't know, so don't ask me!

+1

Quote:
The thing is, If I'm gonna spend around £800 on two average guitars, I should probably just get one good one right

that's another good point (unless your need for two guitars and the versatility that brings outweighs the need for a better guitar).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #82
D3M0N1C

I think I've made my decision on a guitar, if I'm willing to spend £1000, I'm gonna go for the American Deluxe or Standard SSS Strat, It's one of the few guitars I've actually tried, it feels right, and should be able to achieve all the tones I need. If however, I decide that a £1000 is too much, I'll get the Fret-King Super 60 SP.

Now.....the Amp!

Would it be wise to create another thread about which Amps? Or should I keep it in this one?

I managed to find a pretty decent Amp head, Hiwatts, with a headphones jack! But.....its not tube

Hiwatt Maxwatt G200 Head
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/hiwatt-maxwatt-g200-head/27062

Anyone know if they're any good?
It say its a 200w head, but would I be OK pairing it with a 15-30w speaker, or would that ruin the tones?

I'm probably not gonna go for this, but I was just curious

Last edited by D3M0N1C : 12-12-2012 at 12:44 PM.
D3M0N1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #83
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

you could blow the 15-30 watt speaker, that's the problem. you generally want the speakers to be rated for a higher wattage (or at very least, the same wattage) as the amp. Now... if you only ever have the amp set at whisper volumes it's not likely to be a problem, but at the same time, it's safer if the speakers are rated highly enough in case you ever do want to crank it.

i'm not sure of the wisdom of cheaping out on the amp. if you can buy the deluxe fender and then start saving like mad for an amp that'll do it justice, then by all means go for it. But if getting the fender means you massively have to cheap out on the amp... it's your call, of course, but personally I wouldn't do that.

I should add- i haven't tried that hiwatt.

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #84
D3M0N1C

No worries Dave, I thought it was a silly idea anyways, and no I'm not trying to skimp out on the Amp, gonna make sure I get a good one.

You think I'd get more help with an Amp if I make a new thread? I just thought people would be able to see where I'm heading if I keep it in this one, you & Danny are doing all the work in here

Last edited by D3M0N1C : 12-12-2012 at 01:21 PM.
D3M0N1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #85
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah probably make a new thread about amps in the guitar gear and accessories forum

Quote:

Old 12-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #86
dannyalcatraz

Yeah.

Besides, I'm no amp guru. I can tell you you want a tube amp (I like combos), you want the right amount of power to suit your purposes (think Goldilox- not too much, not too little), and the right voicing.

My one and only amp- a much beloved 40w Fender HRD 1x12 Combo- has great cleans which handles most of what I play, but doesn't do metal well, and is way too powerful to crank in my usual environment (since I don't gig).

Which is why I'm contemplating some kind of Orange amp.*

* I may still buy one that's too powerful, just because Orange amps sound awesome cranked and, honestly, I'm 45, I'd be "compensating for shortcomings" and I don't want to buy a sportscar.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-12-2012 at 02:48 PM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #87
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
I think I've made my decision on a guitar, if I'm willing to spend £1000, I'm gonna go for the American Deluxe or Standard SSS Strat, It's one of the few guitars I've actually tried, it feels right, and should be able to achieve all the tones I need. If however, I decide that a £1000 is too much, I'll get the Fret-King Super 60 SP.

Now.....the Amp!

Would it be wise to create another thread about which Amps? Or should I keep it in this one?

I managed to find a pretty decent Amp head, Hiwatts, with a headphones jack! But.....its not tube

Hiwatt Maxwatt G200 Head
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/hiwatt-maxwatt-g200-head/27062

Anyone know if they're any good?
It say its a 200w head, but would I be OK pairing it with a 15-30w speaker, or would that ruin the tones?

I'm probably not gonna go for this, but I was just curious

That's a solid state amp which doesn't necessarily mean anything bad. But I wouldn't buy it if I couldn't try it first. And I wouldn't pair it with a 15 watt speaker. But really try it and see if you like it (compare it to other amps).

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: