Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-09-2013, 03:54 AM   #1
Firewind Raging
Guitar Face Emperor

I require assistance!

Yes that's right, it's another lovely "which guitar?" thread! Recently I've become a bit sick of my Ibanez, the neck is just too thin to my hands now and I'm craving something with a thicker neck. I play mostly metal (surprise) so as long as it comes with decent enough pickups it's a contender. I'd like something that wouldn't look out of place playing any genre though, so nothing pointy. Humbuckers would be ideal, preferably no middle singlecoil but I'll consider pretty much anything I can try first. I don't mind looking at 2nd hand gear either as long as it's in good condition. To give you an idea, I recently tried out a PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson and thought it was great, although the access to the 22nd fret wasn't amazing. My budget is around £600, might be willing to stretch it for something incredible though. I'm in Scotland too btw.

Thanks!
BOSS TU-2

Last edited by Firewind Raging : 09-09-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Firewind Raging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:12 AM   #2
dannyalcatraz

Budget? Location?

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:19 AM   #3
Firewind Raging
Guitar Face Emperor

OP Edited
BOSS TU-2
Old 09-09-2013, 04:48 AM   #4
MarcFlink

Hi. Have you considered some kind of Les Paul ? That budget should be able to get you a Gibson, or definitely a high quality Epiphone, even in scotland

Those will play anything

At least that's what I think

My bet would be on a Gibson Les Paul Studio Thomann has them, and I'm sure Andertons has as well. Good luck
Old 09-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #5
dannyalcatraz

Hmm...most of the major makers of "metal" guitars will have skinnier necks, but Schecter and BC Rich will have guitars with fatter necks than your Ibanez.

However, if the neck is really your gremlin, you might want to look at some of the offerings from Reverend. Their necks are a nice C profile, having substance without being "baseball bats". Best suited for metal- at least in terms of the pickups- are the Sensei RA guitars, Bayonets, Kingbolts, and Reeves Gabrels sig II.

These guys carry them:
http://www.vintageandmodernguitars.co.uk/

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 09-09-2013 at 04:56 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #6
MarcFlink

Whatever the other guy said
Old 09-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
Firewind Raging
Guitar Face Emperor

Hhmm I don't really like the look of Reverend guitars, they look really plain for the price. Plus nowhere stocks them around here, I'm not really comfortable buying one without playing it first. TBH I'd only heard of them because Sylosis have started using them.
BOSS TU-2
Old 09-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
Exterminatus

Schecter and BC Rich for value for money.
Ibanez for thinnest and fastest necks ever.
ESP for variety of woods and pickups but many models are not available where you live probably.
PRS has great wood selections but are overpriced, even mire than ESP and Ibanez
Avoid the Gibson, Fender crowd.
Washburn has the Stephen Carpenter neck style on the "N" models, prefer them to signature models.

-Poldo (the guy with both hands in his pockets!)
Exterminatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewind Raging
Hhmm I don't really like the look of Reverend guitars, they look really plain for the price. Plus nowhere stocks them around here, I'm not really comfortable buying one without playing it first. TBH I'd only heard of them because Sylosis have started using them.

Fair enough: who are your best shopping options? Knowing where you intend to buy will help narrow things down.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:51 AM   #10
Firewind Raging
Guitar Face Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Fair enough: who are your best shopping options? Knowing where you intend to buy will help narrow things down.
Well I don't need to try the exact same model, just something by the same company. I'd probably be trying stuff out in Glasgow, Merchant City Music or Guitar Guitar to be specific.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcFlink
Hi. Have you considered some kind of Les Paul? That budget should be able to get you a Gibson, or definitely a high quality Epiphone, even in scotland

Those will play anything

At least that's what I think

My bet would be on a Gibson Les Paul Studio Thomann has them, and I'm sure Andertons has as well. Good luck
Well yeah, I mean the PRS guitar I mentioned in the first post is a Les Paul/Singlecut Not sure about Studios, or Gibsons in general. Heard a LOT of bad things about their quality control over the years, could always try one out though. The black ones do look pretty nice. There seem to be loads of different versions of it though but I have no idea what the differences are
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exterminatus
Schecter and BC Rich for value for money.
Ibanez for thinnest and fastest necks ever.
ESP for variety of woods and pickups but many models are not available where you live probably.
PRS has great wood selections but are overpriced, even mire than ESP and Ibanez
Avoid the Gibson, Fender crowd.
Washburn has the Stephen Carpenter neck style on the "N" models, prefer them to signature models.
I've tried Schecters, mostly C1s, but the edge always seems to dig into my arm. I see they've got new Banshees which seem to be straight rip offs of RGs, so I might try one of them out if they ever appear in a shop. BC Richs I'm not so keen on, none of the ones I've tried have comfortable body shapes, and I'll probably never get a chance to try any Washburns here haha.
BOSS TU-2

Rate This Thread: