Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
BennMassey1

What Effects pedals should I buy? (metal-core/metal/heavy rock/pop punk)

I'm getting a pedal board for my birthday. I play mainly metal core stuff, but i also play heavy rock, and pop punk. a lot of the metal core things i play also have clean melodic guitar's so i want to enhance this and make them sound better
I already have a Cry baby, and a Compressor/Sustainer

I use a Marshall Avt150h with a foot switch. I like the sound i get from the OD on the amp, so I don't really need an over drive or distortion and i also like/use the reverb from the amp ( can toddle using foot switch)

I'm buying a Boss BCB-60 board. The pedals i'm thinking about buying are:
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss TU-3 Pedal Chromatic Tuner
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay Guitar

But I am wondering if anyone could think of a better set up, or something i'm missing/dont need. i don't have a budget, but i don't really want to spend to much.

Guitars i use are: a modded Ibanez GIO (with duncan invaders)
A PRS se single cut
A and a Jackson Kelly KE3

Thanks for your help!
BennMassey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
AWACS
I want all of the things

Imo, ditch the Boss board, grab a Pedaltrain PT-2 or PT-1, depending on the size you want, and swap the Boss Chorus out for a TC Electronic Corona chorus. Thats what I use and I love it.

The DD-3 is probably fine, but you could also look at a TC Electronics Flashback, or a MXR Carbon Copy if you want a warmer delay. I like my DD-6.

Mesa Boogie Mark V PRS SE Cu24 Voltage S212 Pedals!
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle CMATMods Signa Drive Digitech BadMonkey
Boss TU-3 TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser

I have Boss BCB-60, bought it used, two guys owned it before me and they were playing gigs with it all the time, it's very durable and reliable, I'm very satisfied it.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Klon
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWACS
The DD-3 is probably fine, but you could also look at a TC Electronics Flashback, or a MXR Carbon Copy if you want a warmer delay. I like my DD-6.

i think it depends on what he'll be using the delay for- for those clean passages, an analogue (or analogue-voiced) delay might be better. for heavier distortion i reckon a digital would be better.

for the chorus i prefer analogue, assuming he wants to use it with a clean tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Klon

So for us poor people that'd be a EHX Soul Food
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
TYSHADOWS
Jack of All Trades

I love my boss ce5 chorus ensemble. Great pedal for many diferent beautiful cleans (sounds more natural than the super chorus)

The boss dd7 is real nice. Has analog setting and 4 different delay speeds. Also an ok looper on it as well
BC Rich SOB Avenge
Ibanez Performer Acoustic

-Amps-
Peavey XXL
Mesa Recto 212 vert
Peavey Envoy 110
Kustom PA50

-Many Pedals!-

Last edited by TYSHADOWS : 03-20-2014 at 07:33 PM.
TYSHADOWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:06 AM   #8
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Can't really pick a better set of 3, to be completely honest.

Though I would highly recommend getting a regular board (not Boss presized shit) and branching out beyond Boss stuff.

We can help you out if you give us a total budget to work with.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:14 AM   #9
Badmotorfingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Klon

Klon Professional

All or nothing!
Badmotorfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:25 AM   #10
AngryHatter
Position Player

Harmonic Amp Like OverDrive
HALO

AngryHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:57 AM   #11
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Can't really pick a better set of 3, to be completely honest.

Though I would highly recommend getting a regular board (not Boss presized shit) and branching out beyond Boss stuff.

We can help you out if you give us a total budget to work with.

This.

Boss pedals are nice, but there are far better options for the same price (especially if you go used) or for just a little bit more.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Linkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:40 AM   #12
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

The CH-1 does fine as an all-round chorus. It's not the bright and dramatic 80s chorus of the CE-5, nor is it the muffled and simple chorus of Poly/Small/Neo/Nano grunge fame. Ever listened to Seether? That is a CH-1.

The DD-3 is okay, but the more recent versions simply are better. There's a weird 'mojo' thing people credit the DD-3 as having, causing them to spend silly money on new-old-stock units, but the relaity is that the DD-3 has nothing special going on; every other DD pedal that came after it does the exact same thing and has better battery life, longer maximum delay time, more modes, etc. If you don't care about the new modes and only want a good, standard digital delay, there are still cheaper alternatives to the DD-3; it's really hard to screw up a digital delay effect, so even the cheaper companies knock this one out of the park.

The tuner's good, but it is just a tuner. Again, you can get the same thing elsewhere for less. I get why you'd want to stick to BossóI had the same Boss pedal board and filled it with many of the same Boss pedalsóbut when it comes to the basic stuff, they're overpriced.

The first thing I think you should consider is an EQ pedal. If you want to stick with Boss, the GE-7 is fine. An EQ pedal is going to be the most flexible and useful tool you can have. It can do anything from simply allowing one guitar to compensate for a lack of power (or too much power), through to totally reshaping the sound of your guitar, to being a rhythm/lead shift, or put it in your FX loop and reshape the sound of your amp entirely.

I'm also a fan of octave and harmony pedals for hard rock and pop-punk. You probably would get some use out of an octave pedal for metalcore, too. The EHX Micro POG is the best-tracking stompbox octave pedal around, and one of the few which works with chords. It has become the de facto 'lead' pedal for pop-punk and it's very common to see them used for bulking up rhythm parts in hard rock and alternative metal now. It's the one pedal I've bought and never thought about selling.

Personally, having had a BCB-60 full of Boss pedals before, and playing a mix of alternative metal, hard rock and pop-punk myself, the way I'd go for an all-round rig would be, in order:
Amp channel footswitch
EHX Micro POG
Boss NS-2 noise suppressor - one of the few times Boss do a better job and cost less than the competition. Invaluable, unless all your guitars have active pickups, your amp has really low noise and you only play in modern buildings with good wiring.
GE-7 or other EQ pedal set for a low-mids cut and high-mids boost, to get a cleaner sound out of any guitar without having to bother with coil splitting. Put it in the NS-2's own FX loop to stop it increasing hiss.
CH-1 Chorus, it is the chorus I use myself and one of the few pedals I've had, sold, and then re-bought. Stick it in the amp's FX loop; remember to get more long, high-quality cables so you can run things in the FX loop from the pedal board.
Delay. I need the layering of the DD-200, but if you want a simple sound then just grab a DigiTech DigiDelay and you're sorted. Put it in the amp's FX loop.
Volume pedal. Yes, after the delay and in the amp's FX loop. If you put a volume pedal before the amp, it effectively is a guitar output control. Putting it in the amp's loop allows you to use it to actually control the volume of all your sounds and use it for smooth swells properly.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:51 AM   #13
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

There are a handful of exceptional Boss pedals, I've got an old MIJ CE-2 for example. Some are good, but not exceptional and some are shite. Full spread really. But one thing about Boss, it aint gonna break. Ergonomically and structurally, they're faultless.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:53 AM   #14
TYSHADOWS
Jack of All Trades

Also if your looking at playing alone in your bedroom and such, check out the TC electronics Ditto Looper, really small and compact (pretty important once you get an actual board to put your pedals on) and works great, simple to use as well. Great for practice playing with another guitar and fun to play around with the overdubbing. Great tool to have. Now you can play all parts of songs!
BC Rich SOB Avenge
Ibanez Performer Acoustic

-Amps-
Peavey XXL
Mesa Recto 212 vert
Peavey Envoy 110
Kustom PA50

-Many Pedals!-

Last edited by TYSHADOWS : 03-21-2014 at 10:56 AM.
TYSHADOWS is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: