Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #21
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

This song sounds better downpicked. No question. I can play it fairly comfortably at 95% speed. That last 5% is a bastard, though.

Definitely have to warm up first. Creeping Death is good for that, as is Blitzkrieg.

Last edited by Jehannum : 04-23-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #22
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Quote:
It's just a matter of practice and time ? If you can give me some advices or share your experience about your downpicking.

I think it's just a matter of time and practice. When I was learning this riff -

(first riff)

The picking was just too much for me. So I just practised lots of different tunes with intense right hand rhythm playing - Fear Factory, Divine Heresy...

A bit of variety could be a lot more fun and you can still keep practising consistently.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #23
omnilux

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
I get it that you can get alternate picking sound exactly same as downpicking with proper practice as far as single notes are concerned, and I always try to alternate pick those unless I am 100% confident I can nail it downpicked, but what about power chords? They usually sound like ass upstroked because it puts emphasis on the high notes. In my ears they have absolutely to be downpicked. Or am I missing something.

Instead of MoP I'm working on Creeping Death. Fast, but simpler than MoP so I can concentrate on the downpicking part more.

On a side note, James didnt become a master of downpicking by practicing it just a couple of short months...

Kind of like the power chords in The Shortest Straw, some have to be upstroked to get the same sound. You can downstroke them, but listen to the album and it sounds like ass in comparison.
omnilux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #24
Syndromed
French guy

Yes, I should maybe practice other songs but always with right hand rhythm playing to get more fun.
I'm going to divide my time, and practice a little MOP and then, as you said it, practice some other songs with a lot of right hand rhythm to get more fun.

Maybe it was just a matter of "to be fed up with this song and a need of change".

Thank you for your answer Freepower, and ... your video is awesome, as usual.

Rate This Thread: