Search:

Old 11-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #21
SamWhiteBASS

Oh, that sounds great! Thanks alot!
SamWhiteBASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #22
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

I'll do some on topic, because off topic is too mainstream (at least in this thread)
Well, the Geddy Lee you mentioned is a great bass, for what i could get out of it when i tried at a store, and today it would be my choice in your place. I'm not actually going after it because I kinda fallen in love with 5ers and BTB's... But i recall that the Geddy Lee felt like no other bass felt and sounded. Still, If i were you, I'd compare all the fenders in your price range. If getting a used MIA standard (pr deluxe) is a possibility, go try them at stores to get a clue about them and their feel. Also look at the Marcus Miller sig if you happen to like active jazzes, i think it's somewhat cheaper than a MIA deluxe, so it could be another great option. If you'd like to save some cash, you could look for a Highway one Jazz used, you're most likely going to find them quite worn out because the finish is really thin and sensible... But you may dig the worn out look. I personally disliked the Amercian Special, they felt pretty cheap for me, and the price tag was almost the same as the Geddy Lee's which blown it out of the water effortless. And if you would like to save some more, Mexican 70's reissue are also very good for their price, but this time I'm not talking for my own experience.

And yes, if i wouldn't be sas caught up as i am for 5ers, a Maple fretboarded Fender Jazz would be my GASing goal. So good luck to you!

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #23
skippy_moogoose
30 Rhythm Points...O yeah

I myself own a Sandberg, they are damn well made German instruments, and I got mine for less than £800 brand spanking new! And that was a few years ago! I went for the Ken Taylor model, which has a 3 band active pre-amp, as well as a push/pull active passive switch and a coil switch to go from humbucker to Jazz config. It's got a maple neck/fretboard and a nice little blend knob for oodles of potential sounds. I've seen second hand sandbergs go for as low as £400 on various websites such as basschat and that is A LOT of bang for your buck! Well within your budget even for a brand new one, and they are kinda like super fenders!! here's a link to their website which has a list of suppliers to go try out http://www.sandberg-guitars.com/
I know Spaz was looking at getting one at a point, and they are generally held in pretty high regard on the forums. I know I might be coming across as a fanboy but I really do love mine to death and if your after a jazz style kidna thing with great build and versatility you could do a lot worse than try one out!!
Hope this helps!!
skippy_moogoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #24
SamWhiteBASS

Hahah thanks guys I was hoping someone would bring this back on topic... But I will go and try out a bunch of fender Jazz's and see which I like best! I hear the Geddy Lee is pretty highly regarded which is reassuring, because the one I played was a good two years ago and I might have been way off with my interpretation... But I do remember really liking it and it is currently on the top of my list of basses to play again.

As for the Sandbergs, they look like really nice instruments actually! The price list has kind of baffled me a little as there seems to be so many variations of the same bass, plus a hundred and one variations on each one of those... But that said, they do look to be more or less within my price range. I'm going to have a bit of a look into them now actually

Thanks guys!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #25
will42
UG's bassoon-master

I second the idea of the Marcus Miller Jazz Bass. One of my favorite Js that I've played, and I've played quite a few. It feels nice and has a great range of tones, both ridiculously funky and those "other" tones. But really you can't go wrong with the MIJ and MIA jazz basses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
will42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #26
SamWhiteBASS

I've wanted to play a Marcus Miller Jazz for a while but they don't seem to stock them in any stores near me... kind of annoying to be honest!

I have just seen some Over water basses on the site of a music store near me however. They where coming in about the £550 price mark, though I could be a little bit off there. But yeah, I just checked out the site and found out they're a custom builder but have a, well for lack of better words 'mass produced' range. They look pretty decent but has anyone had any experience with them? I'll be making a trip to the music stores soon but I'm just trying to get a heads up on everything.

The fact they're made by tanglewood is kind of off putting however because I've always associated them with relatively low quality beginner instruments. Although, having never really played much by them, I could be way off there aswell

EDIT: This is the particular model I was looking at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Overwater...=item1c2d7bce2a

Last edited by SamWhiteBASS : 11-17-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #27
dicam

Go for the best bass you can afford ... You mentioned that you have (or had) two Squire basses previously. these are pretty much entry level and given that you are seeking guidance, you are going to go through a few purchases before you are truly happy with your instrument. You are going to learn more about what you like as time goes on. I would not recommend a boutique bass like a Dingwall for uni.
dicam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #28
SamWhiteBASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicam
Go for the best bass you can afford ... You mentioned that you have (or had) two Squire basses previously. these are pretty much entry level and given that you are seeking guidance, you are going to go through a few purchases before you are truly happy with your instrument. You are going to learn more about what you like as time goes on. I would not recommend a boutique bass like a Dingwall for uni.

Yeah like I said, I intend to spend no more than £1000 and obviously, a Dingwall is way out of that price range. I'm just looking for different basses to try out and see what I like the most inside my price range
Old 11-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #29
Sliide90027

Ok OP.

I had a $5000 custom Birdseye Maple Board, Bookend Matched Maple Top 5 String Custom Bass. AS much as I like a Bright and Punchy Bass, I ran with all the Treble down. Still too bright.

Since the lutier was a liar and fake, and it was only worth $1400 used, it is somewhere in HongKong now as the central focus of a Religion.

I now own 4 Ibanez BTB's, Basswood Bodies and Rosewood Boards (Well the Fretless is MIJ with a Mahogany Core 1006). All Bolt ons from the 400 and 450 Series. Some have Barts some do not. They are all stunning in their Tone.

The cheaper Walnut Stringered instruments have needed no adjustment in 6 years and many altitude changes, the more expensive Bubinga needed a little attention once.

For me a neck either has two Stringers or Graphite/Carbon Fiber in it.

Being Poor I stick to stringers.
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: