Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Max Dread

Angle of MOVEMENT of pick when speed/tremolo picking...

Hi all

I've recently been re-evaluating and re-teaching myself how to tremolo pick correctly and effectively. There's one thing I'm not sure about and that's the angle of the movement. That might not be the best/clearest way to describe it! What I mean is this.... If you could draw a line in the air between the starting point of the picking motion (when the pick is closest to the ceiling) and the lowest picking point (when the pick is closest to the floor) what would the line look like? Would it be:

- parallel to the surface of the guitar
- ramping upward (so that as you the downpick is moving away from the body, the up pick moving back toward it)
- ramping downward (the opposite).

Huge apologies in advance if none of the makes sense! Let me know and I'll try to explain it differently. If it does make sense, would be great to hear what you do and your thoughts on the topic.

Cheers

Max
Max Dread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
adamgur96
Not caring no more

Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
I'm not that good with geometry, can you post pics?
Old 12-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Andy Pollow

Quote:
I'm not that good with geometry, can you post pics?

very funny

You cant go too wrong copying this guy - hes awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhJx...o&feature=share
Andy Pollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
adamgur96
Not caring no more

Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Pollow
very funny

I was seriously saying i didn't really understand what he's saying, pics of the way he picks will help.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
AvengedPhan12

Well, what I do is hold the outter edge (edge facing away from guitar body) and use the side of the point of the pic and just strum really quick in short succession. This actualky works pretty well for me
AvengedPhan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
BlueIceBox
Bzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Pollow
very funny

You cant go too wrong copying this guy - hes awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhJx...o&feature=share

Does anyone know what this is called? It's not that clear what he's doing in the video, but I'd like to try it out as I'm having trouble tremolo picking with conventional alternate picking from the wrist.
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
BlueIceBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
Dynamight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIceBox
Does anyone know what this is called? It's not that clear what he's doing in the video, but I'd like to try it out as I'm having trouble tremolo picking with conventional alternate picking from the wrist.

He's picking from the wrist.

Just practice and it'll become natural.

Last edited by Dynamight : 12-10-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Dynamight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
Max Dread

I've got to leave in a mo, so won't get the time to illustrate until later. Not that I'm sure my useless art skills will be up to the job in any case!!!

At the risk of making things worse, I'll try to explain myself again....

1. When tremolo picking, the plectrum moves across the string twice, once in a downward motion and once upward (giving two notes).

2. That motion could be made in several ways.

- It could be swinging like skateboard half pipe, reaching the lowest point when the string is actually hit).
- It could be completely straight, moving parallel to the top of the guitar's body.
- It could be straight, but starting nearer to the top of the guitar body at the start of the motion, moving away from that surface during the downstroke, then moving back toward it on the upstroke/return.
- It could be straight, but starting furthest away from the top of the guitar body at the start of the motion, moving closer to that surface during the downstroke, then moving back away from it on the upstroke/return.

Does that help at all?

For the sake of argument/illustration, the complete opposite of "It could be completely straight, moving parallel to the top of the guitar's body" would be the motion being perpendicular to the guitar body's surface which would result in the string not being hit at all!!!
Max Dread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
Dynamight

Oh, I see what you mean now. The pick motion is concave (curves inward) in relation to the guitar body. It has to or it would hit the other strings otherwise.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

This should hopefully answer your questions -

Ask me if anything isn't clear.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: