Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
dak_uiowa

Line 6 Spider IV 30w frustrated/questions

What's up guys.. little background first.. I've only played guitar for about 2 years, I had a Squier Stratocaster since I was 12 but never played it until a couple years ago. I'm in college new and just bought my first upgrade, an ESP LTD M-200. I love the guitar, but I still hate some of the sounds I'm getting.

I have the Line 6 Spider IV 30w amp.. The channels on this amp are really frustrating me, none of them sound good any more. I like to play hard rock/metal.. mostly stuff like Chevelle or heavier like TDWP/Parkway Drive (preferably August Burns Red, etc. but i can't play their music yet)... so I spend most of my time on the metal/insane tones.. the problem is, with the gain up it sounds like shit. Regardless, I always play with a good amount of gain because its so weak without gain and i can't play the music i want to without gain. But the sound is so...loose, with a lot of gain.. The ringing sound of the distortion overpowers what i'm playing.. you can hear what i'm playing but its not like a crisp, tight sound.. its just..blah. It's still like that when the gain is like halfway up. Unless its like a quarter/off, it sounds like that, and if its that low i can't play what i want anyways.

This carries over to the other channels. The Clean/Twang channels are just..not for me lol. The blues channel sounds awful, like a metal-driven blues sound.. Crunch is supposed to be like a classic rock sound but just sounds like a weak version of the metal knob.

I've been playing on the red metal/insane green mostly but just doesn't sound like i want it to lol. Basically you can either chug or play openly but then you get a very thin/bland sound. generic. idk.

I guess my main point is, does anyone else have this amp and enjoy it? or have the same problems? Also if you have the 75w/150w, that model is a lot different. Their are custom channels and what not so i'm sure that sounds better. This one you can only choose from their channels and they all sound super generic to me. Thoughts?
dak_uiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
gregs1020
Hi mom!

congrats, your ear for tone has begun to develop.

getting a bigger version isn't going to fix your issue.

what you need is a new amp.

edit: make a proper "what amp?" thread over in GG&A (guitar gear and accessories) and get some good recommendations. include the info asked for in 311's stickied thread.

if i've ever aspired for anything...

Last edited by gregs1020 : 11-02-2012 at 01:22 AM.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:31 AM   #3
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

^ pretty much.

the reality of tiny little "do-it-all" amps is that they're just chock full of compromise. in an effort to produce a pile of tones, they sacrifice the quality of tone. even bigger modelling amps suffer from this quite a bit.

you'll probably want to start checking out better amps. the peavey 6505+ combo is pretty much the ubiquitous choice for your style...
Old 11-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #4
dak_uiowa

Thanks guys... appreciate it. Just posted a What amp? thread in gear and accessories.
dak_uiowa is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: