Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #1001
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
^ i prefer recording 4 good super tight takes. pan one 100% left and one 100% right. take 2 more and put them around 80% left and 80% right, i might adjust them closer together or farther apart depending on how i want it to sound, play with it and see how the panning matches up to how you're hearing it in your head.

each track needs to be its own unique track, nothing should be duplicated copy/pasta'd. alot of times i'll break a song down into riffs that are repeated and just play that part for a good 5-10 minutes then pick out the tightest bits and mix and match them to see what sounds best.

Thanks for the lecab chain penguinpanic, I think I'll use that a lot.
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.

Last edited by z4twenny : 09-20-2012 at 09:27 PM.
z4twenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #1002
pinguinpanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlgrz
Interesting. OK, I'll give that a shot.

Just so I'm clear, I want to have 2 separate mono tracks, each of a different take of the same part. Each of these tracks should have their own Tubescreamer, LeGion, LeCab, and EQ plugin instances.

Now, these 2 separate mono tracks: is it better practice to pan sharp left and one sharp right? Is it better to duplicate EACH mono track, and pan one copy left and one right for each part?

I suppose I should probably google around for a little more background on mixing.

Exactly. You record two takes and pan one hard right and one hard left this wall make it sound "bigger". Like literaly it will fool your ears because you got a different sound coming from left and right your ears will think what it's listening to is "bigger" or "wider". That'll make it sound way better.

I think you got your guitar tone down. You're playing is also rather tight! This is often overlooked but once you get the hang of mixing the playing is the most important part in the mix, try how you do with double tracking! It has given me a lot of problems in the start to record two the same tracks. Once you get that down, like z4twenny suggests try doing a quad track ( :

And get a bass track! Get Spectatronics Trilogy it's a great VST for generating bass. I might be back later with some info on how to mix bass but school for now.

EDIT: I think I'll do a general run down on mixing but I'll need to make some images and stuff to make everything clear so that might take a while.

ALSO! Keep in mind that what everyone says to you is only an opinion. Whenever someone gives you advice try out what kind of result that gives and then think to yourself; "Does this bring me closer to how I want it to sound?" and only use the advice if it does. Because at the end of the day mixing/recording is as much it's own art-form as guitar playing itself and just like when composing music there is no "better". There's just "different" and for the rest it all depends on personal taste, you'll think you get better because your taste will develop and your skills will follow that, making other stuff you did seem "worse" because they are less in line with your current preference. Other people might not always find your development of taste good, like for example with In Flames with their release of A Sense of Purpose / Sounds of a playground fading the band just slowly changed their taste and developed their music after that. However a lot of fans did not make the same development of taste and think that their latest two albums are "worse" then their previous. Yeah you probably get the point about now but it's just when I start typing I keep typing and typing and typing so thanks for reading my stuff, I hope I can be of help (:
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4

Last edited by pinguinpanic : 09-21-2012 at 02:33 AM.
pinguinpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:02 AM   #1003
karlgrz

Excellent ideas, I've put a little work into it tonight. Here's where it's at right now.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4233047/04...%20Alive-01.mp3

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I've been playing for about 18 years, just started getting into recording about a year ago. I'm just hoping to get better and better and learn something new every day. Thanks a lot for your time and tips!
karlgrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #1004
karlgrz

You've been a great help. Thank you very much!
karlgrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #1005
Teenzraul
Banned

That is right. Sometimes people doesn’t able to show the world what is their actual talent. They would be born talent people, but still sometimes they will not be able to show this to the world. They will be failure in that.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #1006
Mikeyprs20

Just out of curiosity, but is the original guide ever going to be finished LOL.

I know there's absolutely heaploads of information, advice/guidelines etc, but i'd also really like to know the guy's perception too since he started the epic thread haha!

Apologies for reviving a thread that originally started in '09 but what the who! I love to see things that were started, being finished :P LOL

Mikey
Mikeyprs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #1007
xkovacsx09
Tater Salad

great to finally see someone take time and thoroughly explain how to use these, thanks!
xkovacsx09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #1008
SMB13
Lead Bass

What are some good bass amp/cab/impulse sims? My amps DI sends the signal pre-EQ and I would definitely like to shape my tone before I start mixing and EQing everything.
SMB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #1009
pxr5
hawklord

Thanks to the the guy who made this tutorial..

...ive had great results and my VST Host is Reaper, but when I record in real time it sounds horrible. Is that normal?

Im using the line input on a soundcard so I expect some hiss but its really bad hissy muddy crap, ive always wanted to know if recording in real time will always sound bad on a computer, is it vital to pre-record something first dry, then add effects and render it, or is it possible to record exactly what you hear through the speakers in real time?
pxr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #1010
Eggmond
Otherwise Known as Eggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxr5
Thanks to the the guy who made this tutorial..

...ive had great results and my VST Host is Reaper, but when I record in real time it sounds horrible. Is that normal?

Im using the line input on a soundcard so I expect some hiss but its really bad hissy muddy crap, ive always wanted to know if recording in real time will always sound bad on a computer, is it vital to pre-record something first dry, then add effects and render it, or is it possible to record exactly what you hear through the speakers in real time?

Using a line input will always sound terrible and can damage your soundcard. You need to get yourself an interface

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Eggmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #1011
pxr5
hawklord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggmond
Using a line input will always sound terrible and can damage your soundcard. You need to get yourself an interface

Thanks I am getting one, ive been using line in for 15 years now, it turned out to be a problem with my sounblaster card, i used the realtek onboard sound and its ok now, are those interface things all the same or do you need a specific type?

Im just wondering if the cheap beringer type interface is the same as an expensive line6 pod interface but without the fancy effects, or should the beringer type interfaces be avoided, i get the impression they are just a cheap introductory interface and not good enough for recording.

thanks

Last edited by pxr5 : 05-31-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #1012
Seref
Gob****e

Location: Miami, Florida, United States of America, North American Continent, Earth, Terrestrial Planets, Solar System, Local Cluster, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe, Multiverse, Omniverse, Eternity
I'm running into a weird problem. I've got a cheap interface that I'm using to experiment with VSTs (didn't want to blow the $100+ on something I might not enjoy) and it works well with ASIO4ALL in Amplitube's standalone program. No issues there at all.

But when I try to load the VST in Reaper it works fine for a while but after a few minutes it will start hissing. Sometimes soft, sometimes really loud, and sometimes it builds up. I noticed that when I go into the Project Settings and I reset the bit rate (go from 44100 to 48000 and back to 44100), the hissing stops. But it always comes back after a while.

Like I said, this doesn't happen at all in standalone programs. Only Reaper. Any ideas?
Old 06-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #1013
pxr5
hawklord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seref
I'm running into a weird problem. I've got a cheap interface that I'm using to experiment with VSTs (didn't want to blow the $100+ on something I might not enjoy) and it works well with ASIO4ALL in Amplitube's standalone program. No issues there at all.

But when I try to load the VST in Reaper it works fine for a while but after a few minutes it will start hissing. Sometimes soft, sometimes really loud, and sometimes it builds up. I noticed that when I go into the Project Settings and I reset the bit rate (go from 44100 to 48000 and back to 44100), the hissing stops. But it always comes back after a while.

Like I said, this doesn't happen at all in standalone programs. Only Reaper. Any ideas?

Ive only had hissing when I forget to turn the arm record buttons off when not recording. Have you set up the ASIO properly?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #1014
Seref
Gob****e

Location: Miami, Florida, United States of America, North American Continent, Earth, Terrestrial Planets, Solar System, Local Cluster, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe, Multiverse, Omniverse, Eternity
Yep.

I'm going to try a different DAW soon. Since it works fine in standalone programs I'm nearly positive it's a Reaper problem and not a driver or interface problem.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #1015
pxr5
hawklord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seref
Yep.

I'm going to try a different DAW soon. Since it works fine in standalone programs I'm nearly positive it's a Reaper problem and not a driver or interface problem.

This guy had same issue, even when trying other DAW, his fix was:

sorry to bump this back to the top, but i was able to fix the problem(kinda).

I thought that it might be my usb ports causing the problem and I was correct. I went out and bought a PCI usb port card with a couple ports on it. Plugged in my Lexicon and have had no static since.

Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=57034
Old 06-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #1016
Seref
Gob****e

Tried every usb port on my computer, didn't fix it.

I'm fairly confident that it's Reaper since I can temporarily stop the buzzing and humming by fiddling with the Project Settings.

Rate This Thread: