Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > New Members Q&A Forum
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
rutle_me_this

I'm new and have a question about scales ...

I just joined today and already posted in another section of this message board.

I'm not sure if I should have first posted it there or here instead, being that I'm a newbie; I'm not sure which of the forums this question belongs, but here is what I wrote in that other section, though I'll try to be more succinct this time:

I consider myself a beginner -- and so excuse my sometimes awkward use of musical terminology -- but here is what I know, having had taken a couple years of lessons and more recently learning from books and YouTube: Open Chords, Barre Chords, Scales (Major, Relative Minor, Major and Minor Pentatonic, Blues.)

I learned the above scales up and down the fret board. But I have NO IDEA HOW TO USE THEM. I want to learn what scales are appropriate for what chords or chord progressions, (in other words, how and when to use those scales).

I learned a good amount of theory having studied "The Guitarist's Music Theory Book" by Peter Vogl, but he has several other books -- Introduction To Rock Guitar Book & DVD, Introduction To Blues Guitar Book & DVD, The Guitarist's Lick Book & DVD, Blues Licks With DVD & CD, Electric Licks & Solos with DVD & CD, and a whole series of Let's Jam CD's covering Rock, Blues, etc. -- and I have no idea which if any of these other books teaches HOW to apply the scales I've learned from his first book I listed at the beginning of this paragraph.

If anyone has studied Vogl, can you tell me which of his books above teaches HOW to use scales, and what order to read these books in. And if none of his books provide that next step in my learning, can any of you recommend a comprehensive book (and preferably with a DVD) that will teach me how and when to use the scales that I know?

PS: I did do a search online for such a comprehensive book and one came up that looks interesting. But I don't want to waste my money, so before I consider ordering it, if anyone has an opinion on this one below, feel free to share your take on it:

Guitarist's Guide To Scales Over Chords-The Foundation Of Melodic Guitar Soloing (Book & CD) by Chad Johnson (Nov 1, 2010)

Again, I welcome any recommendations on what would be a good book (with DVD if possible) when it comes to learning what scales are used with what chords and chord progressions, in other words, HOW to use scales. I look forward to your responses and, as I continue learning, to joining in other discussions on a range of topics. Thanks all!

Last edited by rutle_me_this : 02-06-2013 at 07:37 PM.
rutle_me_this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:51 AM   #2
whoomit

Hey, firstly, welcome to the site

Musician's Talk was the right place to post this question. The problem is that your post is very long winded, and that can turn a lot of people off!

One tip though, if you know what key your song is in, then you'll have a good idea of which scales to use!

Enjoy your stay, hope you get the info you're looking for
Old 02-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
rutle_me_this

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
Hey, firstly, welcome to the site

Musician's Talk was the right place to post this question. The problem is that your post is very long winded, and that can turn a lot of people off!

One tip though, if you know what key your song is in, then you'll have a good idea of which scales to use!

Enjoy your stay, hope you get the info you're looking for

Thanks for the welcome. And the suggestion on posting.

I'll try to be very brief: Is there a good course (book/DVD) that teaches HOW to use the different kinds of scales over chord progressions?
rutle_me_this is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: