Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #21
ThePIGI_King
I'm Lovin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
If you can somehow scrape $500 up you can get a USA made Peavey 5150 2x12 combo which is way better than the 1x12
www.guitarcenter.com/-i3914939.gc

Do you mind explaining how it's "better"? As of now, I don't have a band...the only thing I'm looking for in an amp is the sound right now. I don't know much about tone, what gets what sound, and what's better yet (new to it all other than playing). What is the main difference between the 5150 and the 6505+ besides the 2x12 vs. the 1x12? Thanks in advance.

"Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards" - Shane Patton
ThePIGI_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:42 PM   #22
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

The 6505 and 5150 are the exact same thing. The 6505+ and 5150II have the addition of a preamp tube and separate EQs for each channel, but the difference there is tiny compared to the normal versions. In short:
5150 = 6505
5150II = 6505+

I own the 6505 2x12 combo and even though I love how mine sounds, I would not recommend it. For one, it's stupidly heavy, at least 80 pounds. But the main reason is that the stock speakers are really really muddy. Same goes for the 1x12 version, but with that at least you only have to replace one speaker
Old 09-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #23
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePIGI_King
Do you mind explaining how it's "better"? As of now, I don't have a band...the only thing I'm looking for in an amp is the sound right now. I don't know much about tone, what gets what sound, and what's better yet (new to it all other than playing). What is the main difference between the 5150 and the 6505+ besides the 2x12 vs. the 1x12? Thanks in advance.

If your playing at home, the 6505+ 1x12 will be absolutely fine, the 5150 2x12 would be better suited if you were in a band
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:53 PM   #24
Will Lane
i play da musics

Washburn X-30
Schecter Diamond Omen Active
Washburn C44CE
RP-155
Micro POG
Proco Rat
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:57 PM   #25
ThePIGI_King
I'm Lovin' It

Mitch, thanks for the feedback! Seeing how both are used, and the 5150 is $150 more, I think I'll stick to saving for the 6505+ unless somebody can really give me a reason otherwise. I'm still waiting to know why the 5150 is "better" than the 6505+, or if he just meant the dual speakers are better. From what I understand, the main difference between the 6505 and the + model is that the + has a cleaner clean channel. So my question is, why is the less clean 5150/6505 more expensive than the 6505+? Thanks.

EDIT: Wow, I took so long to word this and get my grammar correct that people posted...disregard some of my questions than Thanks again guys for all your help. Now I start the long task of trying to save the money for the amp. My last (hopefully) question is, when/if I can get the 6505+, do you think I should sell my Spider? Or should I keep it as a backup practice amp?

"Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards" - Shane Patton

Last edited by ThePIGI_King : 09-01-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:06 PM   #26
Robbgnarly

It is always nice to have a backup amp, just in case something goes wrong. or to have a grab n go amp if your jamming with others. The 1x12 6505+ is still a pretty large and heavy combo and your spider (unless it is the 2x12 or 2x10 version will be smaller and lighter.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Last edited by Robbgnarly : 09-01-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:06 PM   #27
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Quote:
I'm still waiting to know why the 5150 is "better" than the 6505+, or if he just meant the dual speakers are better.

Yeah, he was saying the 2x12 would be better for a band setting because it's ridiculously loud.
Quote:
From what I understand, the main difference between the 6505 and the + model is that the + has a cleaner clean channel. So my question is, why is the less clean 5150/6505 more expensive than the 6505+? Thanks.

I described the differences between the + and standard models above, and those are the only differences AFAIK. The only way you would have a cleaner clean channel on a 6505 is if you moved to the head versions, which are 120 watts instead of the 60 watts the combos have.

6505+ = 1x12
6505 = 2x12

Both combos are 60 watts, but the standard 6505 is more expensive because it's a 2x12. The 1x12 has more features, yes, but that doesn't outweigh a second speaker.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:10 PM   #28
Robbgnarly

^ The 2x12 5150/6505 are also made in the USA with better quality components which is why I said it is way better.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 09-01-2014, 11:18 PM   #29
ThePIGI_King
I'm Lovin' It

Alright, I think I understand now. Thanks everyone, I will now start saving for the +. All my questions have been answered, thanks for pointing me in the correct direction regarding tone. It's always great to learn something.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #30
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Quote:
Alright, I think I understand now. Thanks everyone, I will now start saving for the +. All my questions have been answered, thanks for pointing me in the correct direction regarding tone. It's always great to learn something.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:25 AM   #31
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
^ The 2x12 5150/6505 are also made in the USA with better quality components which is why I said it is way better.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmastamitch
I own the 6505 2x12 combo and even though I love how mine sounds, I would not recommend it. For one, it's stupidly heavy, at least 80 pounds. But the main reason is that the stock speakers are really really muddy. Same goes for the 1x12 version, but with that at least you only have to replace one speaker

+311

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #32
Rickholly74

I'd say it largely depends on what you are using the amp for. Is it live gigs, jamming with friends, learning to play or just playing at home? If it's just playing at home or leaning to play a larger amp may not be a good idea at all and if finances for college are a consideration who in your family is going to get pissed when you come home with a new amp?
Rickholly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #33
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
A brand new 6505+ 112 is ~$600. My guitar was $800 New. So unless your car seats are really fancy, than I highly doubt it

that's what i meant. if someone said they wouldn't spend as much on their car engine as on their seats you'd think they were crazy.

not necessarily the best analogy of all time, the guitar is far more important than the car seats- it was just a very rough illustration,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #34
AWACS
I want all of the things

TS, I had enough money to buy whatever I want (been working full time for 3 years, and haven't gone to school yet) and from the knowledgeable guys at GG&A, I looked into, and bought (read: financed) a Mesa Boogie Mark V. It is everything I really need at this point in time, and I know the amp is quality and will most likely outlast me. I could've easily have done the same thing with a PRS or Gibson, but they wouldn't have made nearly as much of a difference to my sound when compared to a new amp.

The guitar is more for you, whereas an amp is more for the band and your audience.

Mesa Boogie Mark V PRS SE Cu24 Voltage S212 Pedals!
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle CMATMods Signa Drive Digitech BadMonkey
Boss TU-3 TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #35
Clarkinator

If you are set on the 6505, there is one on ebay right now starting at $250

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-6505...=item27ea6128e0

Just to give you an idea - you can usually find fairly common amps used for a darn good price, especially if you are willing to wait a few months for a hot deal. I made the mistake in the past of nabbing nice pedals to pair with a crappy amp. It was like putting a bandaid on severed limb. It'll be worth it to save up and nab a good amp that you can play on for years! And once you get a good amp, if you want to nab some pedals you can always find good deals on used pedals online. Half my pedalboard is made up of used pedals I bought at nearly half of their new price (in good condition too).
Clarkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:51 AM   #36
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWACS
The guitar is more for you, whereas an amp is more for the band and your audience.

I think both are equally "for you" (and none is "for the band and your audience"), but different aspects matter.

With the guitar, it has to be comfortable, the neck has to feel perfect to your hands, it just has to be the right guitar for you.
The price tag is irrelevant -- if the guitar you really enjoy playing is a cheap, entry-level guitar, it can be upgraded with good hardware. Especially nowadays, when there's easy access to budget hardware of great quality.

With the amp, it has to deliver the sound you want. The amp represents the majority of what constitutes your tone, so I'd argue it's the most important part of your signal chain.
And it's still all "for you", since you care more about your own tone than anyone else.

99% of people in the audience won't even know the tone difference between a Fender Twin modulation on a 150 multi-fx unit and a 1.500 Fender Twin. But that matters to you.

I can also tell you that my bandmates don't care what equipment I'm using, as long as it doesn't sound really bad. But I care.

And since you're the one who'll be listening at all times what comes from your amp (at home, during band practice, during gigs -- the common denominator is you), you better have an amp with a tone that you truly enjoy.
It just sucks that many times the amp that has a tone that completely satisfies us is expensive.

So, spending money on an expensive amp whose tone you really love is completely justified IMHO. And it's definitely "for you", since everyone else couldn't care less if you're using a cheap modelling amp or an expensive, high-end tube amp.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112

Last edited by Linkerman : 09-03-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Linkerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: