Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #21
jpnyc

I have also looked these over and they’re pretty good for the money. The build quality is pretty sold. The fretwork isn’t as good as better Asian guitars (Epiphone Les Pauls have better fretwork), so assume that you’ll have to pay a luthier to file the ends and polish the frets.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #22
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnyc
I have also looked these over and they’re pretty good for the money. The build quality is pretty sold. The fretwork isn’t as good as better Asian guitars (Epiphone Les Pauls have better fretwork), so assume that you’ll have to pay a luthier to file the ends and polish the frets.

All Gibsons are PLEK'd so the frets are pretty damn good
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #23
Roc8995

Not all Gibsons get a fret PLEK. Some, I think the studios and similar models, only get the nut PLEK. So it's possible that the SGJ has hand finished frets.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #24
Robbgnarly

Oh OK, I was under the impression every guitar but the Melody Maker were PLEK'd.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 09-09-2013, 01:15 AM   #25
Slap-happy

A friend just bought one a couple of weeks ago. I went over to his hoping to try it out (as a regular guitar) to find that he'd already raised the action and swapped the bridge p/up to play slide in G.

Sounded great (he put a Bareknuckle in the bridge - not sure which), but I don't profess to being the greatest slide player.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:15 AM   #26
jpnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
All Gibsons are PLEK'd so the frets are pretty damn good

A PLEK doesn’t automatically make the fretwork good. It just makes the frets level. Someone still has to polish the frets and file the ends. Low end Gibsons have very little filing done and they don’t polish enough so the frets are much rougher than similarly priced imports. My Les Paul studio has the same .010 strings that I use on my Asian guitars but they feel heavier because the frets were so poorly polished. Go to Guitar Center and put an Epi Les Paul standard next to a USA J or Studio model and you’ll see what I mean.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:54 AM   #27
Velcro Man
A person

The problem with low end gibsons (and all gibsons, really) is the crap quality control. They can push out some of the best guitars you can pick up...and some of the biggest pieces of shit you will ever play. Honestly, I don't get it, for the price point, Epiphone has some amazing quality control (in my experience) but literally every Gibson I've tried failed to impress, except for one Gibson Explorer...but $1,200 worth of guitar? Naaah. I picked up a $4,000 Les Paul Custom and it was absolutely doodoo, same with a $2,000+ Hummingbird, my old Dixon Hummingbird I owned at the time was 100x better, albeit they were made by an ex-Gibson employee in the 60's...

Honestly, these days, there's not much difference between an Epiphone and a Gibson, just the electronics, and some Epiphones come with Gibson electronics and high end hardware, so wayyagondo.

Last edited by Velcro Man : 09-09-2013 at 02:56 AM.
Velcro Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #28
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velcro Man
The problem with low end gibsons (and all gibsons, really) is the crap quality control. They can push out some of the best guitars you can pick up...and some of the biggest pieces of shit you will ever play. Honestly, I don't get it, for the price point, Epiphone has some amazing quality control (in my experience) but literally every Gibson I've tried failed to impress, except for one Gibson Explorer...but $1,200 worth of guitar? Naaah. I picked up a $4,000 Les Paul Custom and it was absolutely doodoo, same with a $2,000+ Hummingbird, my old Dixon Hummingbird I owned at the time was 100x better, albeit they were made by an ex-Gibson employee in the 60's...

Honestly, these days, there's not much difference between an Epiphone and a Gibson, just the electronics, and some Epiphones come with Gibson electronics and high end hardware, so wayyagondo.

I have seen very few examples of bad QC from Gibson. Gibson is made very well with very good QC.

Most Gibsons come set-up very badly from the factory and this is what most call "Bad QC" which it is not. This is easily fixed with a few adjustments.

Yes Gibsons do feel a lot different from one another because they have hand-finished necks, so the same "guitars" can feel very different.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 09-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #29
Velcro Man
A person

Quote:
I have seen very few examples of bad QC from Gibson. Gibson is made very well with very good QC.

Most Gibsons come set-up very badly from the factory and this is what most call "Bad QC" which it is not. This is easily fixed with a few adjustments.

Yes Gibsons do feel a lot different from one another because they have hand-finished necks, so the same "guitars" can feel very different.

I'm more referring to the quality of the electronics and hardware. I'd prefer a company NOT to set up a guitar when they ship it out, everyone likes their actions different. But the QC from Gibson is deplorable for guitars at their price point. If you're paying $1,000+ for a guitar, ESPECIALLY a USA made guitar, ****ing quality control shouldn't even be something you should have to consider.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #30
Robbgnarly

Quote:
I'm more referring to the quality of the electronics and hardware. I'd prefer a company NOT to set up a guitar when they ship it out, everyone likes their actions different. But the QC from Gibson is deplorable for guitars at their price point. If you're paying $1,000+ for a guitar, ESPECIALLY a USA made guitar, ****ing quality control shouldn't even be something you should have to consider.

Like I have said Gibson has very good QC, and I have only see a few guitars that had QC issues (I've been playing since 1992). I have seen Fenders, Ibanez, ESP and many others with issues, so your statement is pretty moot.

Now that doesn't mean you have to like or hate these guitars as a whole.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Last edited by Robbgnarly : 09-09-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #31
Delboyuk_01

I know quite a few people that have bought these and not one of them has been disappointed with their purchase. They are basically the new SG Special and from what I've heard they're really good guitars.
Please don't turn this thread into a "Gibson quality control" thread, it's soooo boring and repetitive.
Delboyuk_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #32
Velcro Man
A person

Quote:
Like I have said Gibson has very good QC, and I have only see a few guitars that had QC issues (I've been playing since 1992). I have seen Fenders, Ibanez, ESP and many others with issues, so your statement is pretty moot.

Now that doesn't mean you have to like or hate these guitars as a whole.

How does your experience make my point moot? You can google tons of people that have experienced these issues and will confirm the problem. It's really gotten bad in the past decade, from what I can see, not saying Gibson hasn't always pushed out some lemons, but it's become more and more of a problem.

I've seen a lot of people blame Henry Juszkiewicz but...idk about all that. Fender has always had about the same level of QC issues as Gibson, funnily enough. ESP however has some of the best reviews I've ever seen. Ibanez is about normal-good for a guitar company. Epiphone too.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #33
Robbgnarly

Quote:
How does your experience make my point moot? You can google tons of people that have experienced these issues and will confirm the problem. It's really gotten bad in the past decade, from what I can see, not saying Gibson hasn't always pushed out some lemons, but it's become more and more of a problem.

I've seen a lot of people blame Henry Juszkiewicz but...idk about all that. Fender has always had about the same level of QC issues as Gibson, funnily enough. ESP however has some of the best reviews I've ever seen. Ibanez is about normal-good for a guitar company. Epiphone too.

I was using that as a point, that there are bad guitars put out sometimes by all companies. (well I have never seen a PRS or EBMM with bad QC, ever)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 09-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #34
Velcro Man
A person

Quote:
I was using that as a point, that there are bad guitars put out sometimes by all companies. (well I have never seen a PRS or EBMM with bad QC, ever)

That's because PRS and Music Man instruments are brought down by God from music heaven.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #35
Robbgnarly

Quote:
That's because PRS and Music Man instruments are brought down by God from music heaven.

Yep, I sold my Gibson LP when I bought my PRS. I kick myself for selling it now, it was a great guitar, but I never played it anymore and I needed money.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Rate This Thread: