Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 09-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #21
MaaZeus
Registered User
 
MaaZeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvanafan97
i wanted a big one because i dont like the pussy little ones that are really small.by big a meant around 12''+? ive seen one called a mg thats really cheap but ill assume that its horrendous otherwise it wouldnt be so cheap?.



The speaker? Yes, 12 incher is what you want. Preferably several. But I guess that also means you are looking for a combo amp, not a halfstack?

Avoid Marshall MGs. They are bad.

Vypyr Tube would be the standard answer (it has a model based on JCM800). Vypyr 75 is also a good deal on Thomann right now (195) though thats a solid state and not as good as the tube version.

For actual tube amp check the Jet City JCA22h head on thomann and get a good 2x12" cab to go with it. Dont be a pussy and go halfstack! Unlike its big brothers it comes with EL34 power tubes which could be what you want. *edit* Wait, what it came with was EL84. My bad.
__________________

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 09-15-2013 at 09:54 PM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #22
Spambot_2
UG's redhead
 
Spambot_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Most will not run an 800 that way, sorry

Besides it is out of TS price range by a long shot. Give suggestions that will actually help a TS not what you want. Regardless when have you ever heard of a JCM800 selling for 300 anythings?

Aww come on, don't be so hard on me, I told him about the DLS line and the Class 5 and the Vypyr :P

Now that you talk about Jet City, maybe you can find a good deal and get the PicoValve:
5w theoretically, and from what I got, it seems to me that it comes with 6L6s and you can change the output tube - or tubes, not sure, with any octal based one, so 6V6s, KT66, EL34 and so on.

Then, the best cheap cab I know of is the Harley Benton G212 Vintage, which you can get from thomann fof 200.
If you're not in europe and can't find one used, I have heard good things about the JCA24S.
__________________
Name's Luca.
worthwhile quotes, because quote boxes occupy too much space
Spambot_2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #23
Volcz
The Vox Dude
 
Volcz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvanafan97
i wanted a big one because i dont like the pussy little ones that are really small.by big a meant around 12''+? ive seen one called a mg thats really cheap but ill assume that its horrendous otherwise it wouldnt be so cheap?.


Small amps can have a 12"speaker (eg Tiny Terror combo). You don't need a 4x12 cabinet for a big sound. I'd recommend a 2x12 combo if your planning on gigging.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Volcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #24
Nirvanafan97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
cant afford the dsl401 unless its like under 300
Nirvanafan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:35 AM   #25
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
Aww come on, don't be so hard on me, I told him about the DLS line and the Class 5 and the Vypyr :P

Now that you talk about Jet City, maybe you can find a good deal and get the PicoValve:
5w theoretically, and from what I got, it seems to me that it comes with 6L6s and you can change the output tube - or tubes, not sure, with any octal based one, so 6V6s, KT66, EL34 and so on.

Then, the best cheap cab I know of is the Harley Benton G212 Vintage, which you can get from thomann fof 200.
If you're not in europe and can't find one used, I have heard good things about the JCA24S.


most of this is just useless. i am not sure you are fully aware of some of your statements.

jet citys sound nothing like marshalls. i have owned a 2112rc and a 50H. they are american voiced. not marshall.

also jet city has terrible speakers IMO. i have owned and played them.

he said big, you said class 5 nice amp but not what he wants. and again not a good answer.

then you said vypyr tube, yes they are nice modeling amps, but they aren't quite like a cranked marshall.

________


i have a JTM45 clone i built. it needs to be loud as hell, sounds great, but NVM means that its got to get loud (which was correct).

if anybody wants cranked marshall look into a 18w (1974x) i built one, i know cath has too, he is better and more experienced than i though you dime it, its loud as hell. i run it through a 4x12" (not that that is really relevant at all).


_______________

spambot i am not trying to be an asshole. but just have a better idea of what you are recommending.
__________________
5f1 parts coming around the 11/11/14

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #26
Spambot_2
UG's redhead
 
Spambot_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Italy
Yeah, I am pretty aware of what I said.

I recommended the DSL40c because it is, as far as I know, the cheapest marshall with EL34s.
I recommended the Class 5 because it's cheap, and TS said he had no more than 300 to spend.
I recommended the Vypyr because keeping hearing about it here, even never having tried I am convinced it's a nice amp, and it has 2 models based on the plexi.

I didn't recomment the JCA2112rc nor the 50H, that respectively have EL84s and 6L6s in the power section.
I guessed the picovalve, in which to put EL34s in the power section, together with a cab would have been a nice idea for that way he can gets both a cab he can upgrade later, and crank it up without tearing the paint off the walls.
The amp is also pretty cheap, so he could fit it in 300.

I am sorry about the cab thing :P, I remember having read good things about it but I never tried that too.

I didn't recommend any JTM or 1974 because even clones come for way more than 300.
__________________
Name's Luca.
worthwhile quotes, because quote boxes occupy too much space
Spambot_2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #27
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
Yeah, I am pretty aware of what I said.

1. I recommended the DSL40c because it is, as far as I know, the cheapest marshall with EL34s.

2.I recommended the Class 5 because it's cheap, and TS said he had no more than 300 to spend.


I recommended the Vypyr because keeping hearing about it here, even never having tried I am convinced it's a nice amp, and it has 2 models based on the plexi.

4. I didn't recomment the JCA2112rc nor the 50H, that respectively have EL84s and 6L6s in the power section.

5. I guessed the picovalve, in which to put EL34s in the power section, together with a cab would have been a nice idea for that way he can gets both a cab he can upgrade later, and crank it up without tearing the paint off the walls.
The amp is also pretty cheap, so he could fit it in 300.

I am sorry about the cab thing :P, I remember having read good things about it but I never tried that too.

6. I didn't recommend any JTM or 1974 because even clones come for way more than 300.


1. the DSL they are probably a hundred euros over his budget at minimum for a good one, but they would do the best on a budget., do a search on ebay completed listings. IIRC they have issues as with the rectifier overheating, however some (maybe all) of them have rectifier overheating issues.

the one wilmarez found on gumtree would be great. for the money, i think one could
do without reverb. you could buy a cheap pedal if you have to. but it could be just a
bad tank, which can be found cheap and just hook up with a pair of rca jacks.

2. he wants big, for likely a stupid reason, but that is probably more important than size, OP said OP
Quote:
i wanted a big one because i dont like the pussy little ones that are really small.
. if not the class 5 is decent IMO, but not big.

3. vypyrs are fine. i wouldn't go anything less than a tube 60, but he would practically need one of the sanpera footswitchs. workable though i will credit that to you. here they are around $225-$250 (in the US on ebay) switch goes for a bit more. but really, personally would never get a vypyr without sanpera. but should be in budget. probably best bet.

4. you recommended jet city. they are soldano clones. american voicing, sound nothing like a proper marshall. i said those two models because i owned them. not marshall.

5. the picovalves are cool, but 5 watts again probably not what he wants for size. i am not saying 5 watts isn't loud, because it is, but still not what i would recommend. i don't know for sure, so i will ask OP, but really the only feature to the picovalve is the bias-less tube switching. if thats something he wants, they are great, i have played with a THD model. they are really cool, but unless you want to do a lot of messing around, they just aren't what i would recommend.

6. you are right they are more expensive, i have over $500 into both the 1974X and JTM45 (i built the head shells, so i am not factoring cab in). the 1974X would be perfect because when turned up they get some very nice power tube overdriven marshally tone, still loud enough for anything you would need.

SPAMBOT. i may have been a bit of an ass. i didn't mean to chew you out. don't take it personally. so hopefully we can over that. if not thats fine too thats your call.

OP- do you want to tweak or do you just want a marshall?
OP- how important is size? even 5 watt amps are loud dimed. enough to do auditory damage. , but would you sacrifice size for tone?
OP- Jet City amps are decent and are best for the buck, but they don't sound like a marshall, but maybe you should try one. but you say marshall (which is fine), but it would be the cheapest way to get something bigger used.
__________________
5f1 parts coming around the 11/11/14

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #28
Nirvanafan97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Well after reading what you guys have said size doesnt really matter anymore, I love the twang ypu get from marshalls but it isnt vital.if theres something that would play rockabilly like buddy holly aswell as rhcp well strangely unlike my name would suggest im actualy not all that into nirvana
Nirvanafan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:58 AM   #29
Volcz
The Vox Dude
 
Volcz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvanafan97
Well after reading what you guys have said size doesnt really matter anymore, I love the twang ypu get from marshalls but it isnt vital.if theres something that would play rockabilly like buddy holly aswell as rhcp well strangely unlike my name would suggest im actualy not all that into nirvana


Twang?

You should've said that earlier!
I'd say a Vox AC15 or maybe a Fender with a pedal for distorted rhcp sounds.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Volcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:55 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.