Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #1
cyber06

For Whom the bell tolls problems.

I started learning For Whom the bell tolls by Metallica. I have been playing guitar for about 5 weeks now. I've been a long time lurker and first time posting.

The part that I'm having issues playing is this piece:

Guitar II (Kirk) |
e:------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B:------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G:-12-9-11----9-11-12-9-11----9-11-12-9-11----9-11-12-9-11----9-11-|
D:-----------12--------------------12-----------------12------------------12-------|
A:------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E:------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

The problem that I'm having is that I can't play it with the amount of speed required by the song. I assume that I need to alternate pick, which I haven't done much at all up to this point.

Does anyone have any suggestions how can I tackle this piece? Do I just need to work on my alternate picking and work on my accuracy/speed up until I can get it to where the song is?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by cyber06 : 06-29-2014 at 09:06 PM.
cyber06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #2
bandito764

I'd suggest working on your alternate picking. This looks like a decent piece to practice that with as well.
bandito764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:41 PM   #3
cyber06

Thanks for responding. I will practice on my alternate picking, that will benefit me with other songs as well.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:42 PM   #4
SuperKid

speed is a by product of accuracy
practice really slow at first and make sure your right hand follows the alternate picking motion (down up down up down up...) while it synchronizes with the fretting hand. just take it slow and build up speed, practicing with a metronome might be really helpful
don't go too fast if you cant play it slow, you are just going to sound very sloppy
SuperKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:47 PM   #5
Led man32
Greatest guitarist ever

Use a metronome and practice it slowly. Start at a speed that you can play each note evenly without mistakes. If that is quarter notes at 40bpm then so be it. I remember when I learned this. I had a good amount more experience at the time and the speed wasn't much of an issue, but what was an issue was the endurance. That lick goes on and on. I remember my teacher telling me to basically close my eyes and meditate on it while playing it. Stay calm and keep the notes even, you'll get it up to speed.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:09 PM   #6
derkym

Everyone else is offering sound advice you should follow, but don't be discouraged if it doesn't come fast: you have only been playing for 5 weeks. That riff isn't crazy but you will find this and guitar in general its not just playing the actual notes but playing them 'right' (in time and with proper feel). With this particular song I also learned it early on but I focused on James part before even touching Kirks, it was way too hard for me. And on the topic of picking- ALWAYS alternate/economy pick when it will save you movement. If you start focusing on it now it will make your guitar life so much easier. My 2 cents.
derkym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:11 PM   #7
derkym

Going to post again because it's so important: LEARN ALTERNATE PICKING! NOW! If I had learned it earlier I would have saved myself multiple years of fumbling around on a guitar.
derkym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:44 AM   #8
EyeballPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by derkym
Going to post again because it's so important: LEARN ALTERNATE PICKING! NOW! If I had learned it earlier I would have saved myself multiple years of fumbling around on a guitar.

This^ If you get alt picking down now it will help you massively, I think for the first year of playing i used to pick like Noel Gallagher(down,down,down.....).Just a waste of time.
MIM Std Tele
Marshall DSL100H
TS808,TC Flashback,Dirty Little Secret MKIII,Morley Wah,Bad Monkey,Digitech Main Squeeze
EyeballPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
cyber06

Are their any exercises or videos on youtube I should watch to help improve alternate picking? Or is this song good enough for now to help me with that?

Thanks for all the great advice, everyone!
Old 07-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #10
usernamebig

Play it over and over again slowly. This is the first song I learned, minus the whammey wanking/feedback at the end, and it helped alot with alternate picking. for me it took a long time to nail this little riff down but I'm fairly shitty at guitar and started at the young age of 30 lol.
usernamebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
Skeld1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballPaul
This^ If you get alt picking down now it will help you massively, I think for the first year of playing i used to pick like Noel Gallagher(down,down,down.....).Just a waste of time.

Just don't alternate pick MoP...
Skeld1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #12
anders.jorgense

Play it slowly to a metronome and slowly bring up the speed until it feels natural to play it.

As for alternate the picking look for speed mechanics by Troy Stetina and follow that the next 20 odd years.
anders.jorgense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:49 PM   #13
EddieHet

They do this song live using all downstroke though (this particular riff).
Old 07-08-2014, 05:00 AM   #14
b00m

Your alternate picking isn't good enough yet. Practice this bit with a metronome and s l o w l y build up your speed. It's also a good idea to tackle similar licks such as this to improve your alternate picking.

Here's a page from Jani Liimatainen's blog that has some solid exercises for picking.

http://janihatesyouall.blogspot.com...s-and-shit.html
b00m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:05 AM   #15
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

It's much easier if you play it on the 1st and 2nd strings. In the long term, though, building up to speed in the position Kirk plays it will be a good exercise for you.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: