Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Hardlycore
Now it's a party

Question Makeshift USB audio interface?

So I need a USB audio interface to use an amp simulator, but apparently they are a rarity around my area because I can't find a local store that sells them. I don't want to buy one online and be forced to pay shipping and handling fees because money is rather tight at the moment. (Worse comes to worst I will do this tho.) So I was wondering if it would be possible to craft my own?

I have USB cables and guitar gables galore, but is there something special they put in them to make them work? I am a complete tech noob so please be gentle. :p

Any good input is greatly appreciated!
Hardlycore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
GABarrie
Call me Gordon

if you have to ask... you can't make it yourself...

they require programming and micro controllers and stuff, not your basic solder job

EDIT: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-Gui...=item1e76fbac0a

try that
Archer "Dry Ice" Overdrive
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy

Last edited by GABarrie : 02-10-2013 at 06:07 PM.
GABarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

No way man... s&h is a lot cheaper than starting your own microelectronics company

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
Hardlycore
Now it's a party

I figured it'd be too good to be true. :P

And yeah GABarrie, I was checking those out, but they got HORRIFIC reviews. I'm prolly just going to bite the bullet and go for a Behringer or something.
Hardlycore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Pod Hd 500?
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
RebuildIt

I bought a cheap one direct from China to test a concept. It was less than $2 and included free shipping. What I found was that the old saying, while not always true, is very true in this specific case. You get what you pay for. The thing I bought allowed noise to go from the guitar to the PC via a USB connection, but the sound quality was horrid. I'm not that guy who is fussy about subtle differences caused by different wood types or who made a set of pickups. And I think you can make up for a lot in the amp itself. But if the signal is coming to you mangled, fuzzy and chopped up, it will be nearly impossible to clean it up.

I suspect your amp simulator can also use a signal in from your computer's mic jack. There is a possibility that you mic input is also low quality, but I bet you will find it is pretty good. The mic input does most of its work as an analog device. USB makes the signal digital too soon and is subject to clipping.
RebuildIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
LeviMan_2001

A microphone input will sound pretty bad because it's not made to have a high impedance input stage like your guitar amp. However, if you have a non-true bypass pedal, it will help that out due to the buffer in it.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:06 AM   #8
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviMan_2001
A microphone input will sound pretty bad because it's not made to have a high impedance input stage like your guitar amp. However, if you have a non-true bypass pedal, it will help that out due to the buffer in it.

+1. true bypass pedals are overrated.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
wursty
Just some Windows IT Guy

What I use for programs like Guitar Rig and the such is the cable that came with the game Rocksmith. I also use it as a recording interface from my Peavey Vypyr and use a 1/4 female to 1/8 male into the headphone jack.
Ibanez AEL20E
Epiphone G-310 Junior Mod
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe FR
B.C. Rich Bronze Series Warlock

Vinyl Collection
wursty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardlycore
I figured it'd be too good to be true. :P

And yeah GABarrie, I was checking those out, but they got HORRIFIC reviews. I'm prolly just going to bite the bullet and go for a Behringer or something.

If you want to avoid kit with HORRIFIC reviews, you'll need to spend a reasonable amount of money. Go read the interfaces sticky, there's something for all price ranges there.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
LeviMan_2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
+1. true bypass pedals are overrated.

Haha true. To a point. They're nice if you do fuzz face stuff, as a fuzz face needs to have a true bypass signal in front of it, other wise it'll be overly bright. Again due to impedance (and ghetto-ass circuits from the 60's).
Old 02-12-2013, 03:54 AM   #12
RebuildIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviMan_2001

Really? I just plug mine straight in.
RebuildIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:22 AM   #13
LeviMan_2001

You may not notice it if you've already got a pretty muddy set up like a hot humbucker. But if you plug in a vintage style strat or something, you'll notice it just won't sound quite right.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #14
Mufassa
Real Pimpin goin on

I use a XFI sound card w/ the IO bay..

@ the OP.. generally speaking.. you can still come out cheaper, or atleast even buying online as opposed to a brick and mortar store.. EVEN with shipping.. reason being.. stores mark their shit up too much.. This is not always the case but it is more times than it is not

I was at my local pawnshop a few days ago and saw 2 or 3 USB interfaces.. dont always gotta buy new either.,. just saying.. ive had really good luck buying second hand stuff but others have had the exact opposite experience that I have had
'85 Gibson SG Studio Special with EMG 85/H
'01 MII Jackson DK-2 w/ customized electronics
'99 ESP LTD m-107
Peavey 412MS cabinet
pair of 70's woodson 2x12's
87' RAT 2,Dunlop GCB 95 wah
Mufassa is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: