Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
stevenpelham21

Which tuning should I use.

Okay I've been writing music for awhile, about 5 years and I have written in many different tunings, now I'm wanting to choose my finale tuning but I can't decide.
So can someone please tell me their opinion. Which tuning sounds darker and heavier for black/death/gothic metal. My band project which is me and my friend are a mix between thrash, death, black and gothic metal, he likes 2 steps down, I like 1 step down and dropped D.

Please no offensive comments. I just want serious answers and opinions
Thank you
stevenpelham21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
Enigmatic564

I fell in love with drop D standard and drop C for darker stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
Hahaha you short fuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
LOL manlet
Enigmatic564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
GazzaCee
Tyrion is da bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic564
I fell in love with drop D standard and drop C for darker stuff

Umm... what?

OT: I like Drop C#. It works for pretty much everything.

No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
GazzaCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

I assume he means Drop D.

*moved to MT*
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
amonamarthmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzaCee
Umm... what?

OT: I like Drop C#. It works for pretty much everything.

I like drop Db.

Click here if you like arpeggios
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
mattrusso

A tuning is only a vehicle for what you play in it...remember man, play the tuning, don't let the tuning play you!
mattrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrusso
A tuning is only a vehicle for what you play in it...remember man, play the tuning, don't let the tuning play you!
This. No tuning is inherently "darker" than any other tuning (unless you're talking depth of pitch, which in that case you should just tune as low as you can without the strings being too floppy, and/or use a baritone guitar or a 7 string). It's all about how you use the tuning.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
Hail
kill both bass players

i always liked open bm11, whenever i get an axe-fx and a fatboy i'll start playing in that again

B F# C# D A E
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:52 AM   #9
danresn

Sylosis is one of the heaviest bands out there tuning to standard, Opeth make some pretty dark riffs, once again in standard yet Scale the Summit play 7 strings and don't sound heavy at all. Point is tuning doesn't really matter, what makes you heavy is affected by your tone/amp settings/(tuning to a degree) and MADE by your picking hand.

I would use Drop C at the lowest because farther than that I feel you lose clarity on a 6 string.

Last edited by danresn : 12-07-2012 at 04:55 AM.
danresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:30 AM   #10
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrusso

This is good advice. But is it okay to say the tuning inspires you? I think there's a balance to be found.

There's the idealised view of music creation: "I play the music that comes into my mind", and there's the realistic view: "I try to play the music that comes into my mind but sometimes I hit the wrong thing by accident, and sometimes it sounds cool. Sometimes I just move my fingers up a couple of frets to see what it sounds like".

You see other cultures where their music 'theory' (octaves divided up in strange ways and so on) is traceable to the quirks of the instruments they use. I think it's worth acknowledging that the sound of an instrument (and any added effects) and its tuning have some effect on the music composed on it.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:44 AM   #11
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

I like standard tuning.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #12
Sethis

The tuning that most of your favorite bands use would be a good start.
Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #13
Dayn

Whichever feels better for your songs and your gear. The first is down to aesthetics; listen to them in different tunings and see how they sound. The second... you'll have to try. When I had my six-string, drop C was the tuning for it. It sounded most powerful in that tuning, with only D standard coming close for obvious reasons. Then again, I like C. It's a good note.

And since you're only going as low as C... there's not much else to base the decision on. The only other thing is how you want to phrase your songs: in a standard tuning, or a drop tuning? Both have their uses, but I don't know your songs so I can't say.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #14
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

I don't really care what tuning I'm playing in. I just hate it when my school band's guitarist wants to play in Eb for no reason. "It doesn't sound right when we play Guns N' Roses if you play it in standard" blablabla. What does one half step matter?!? And no, it won't sound like Guns N' Roses in Eb tuning if you can't get the same sound and your playing style is different. I have my guitar usually at standard and it's a Floyd equipped guitar and I don't like tuning it in Eb or whatever because it takes like ten minutes to tune it.

But really, play in the same tuning as your friend. It sounds a bit different when you play in lower tuning (I can notice if somebody plays in D or C tuning because it just sounds lower than standard). But it doesn't make your songs heavy. You need to write heavy riffs and play them heavily. Whatever, just tune your guitars in C. You say that you like drop C and your friend likes C standard. Or then make a compromise and tune in C#. Just talk with your friend.

And Jehannum is right. You can get inspiration from lower tunings when you hear how the chords sound in that tuning. And wrong notes can make the riff sound better. But why people are against just playing the guitar and finding out what your fingers can do is that the melodies you play will always sound the same. Your fingers are used to playing certain licks and chords. They are in your muscle memory. That's why you should think when you write music.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #15
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.