Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Dregen
andy, you're a star

all hope is lost, it has revived itself (GP6, GP5, GP4, MIDI) C4C

made this awhile ago, slowly been modifying it and decided to let you guys check it out and tell me what you think. it's kind of post-hardcoreish.

for your listening pleasure i provided the GP6 file with the RSEs which sound lots better... but you can listen to either.

C4C. doesn't need to be a super detailed crit if you don't want it to, just whether you liked it and why you did/didn't.

edit: if you want a crit i'd appreciate it if you could post a link to your song. saves me a bit of trouble going through every user trying to find where their stuff is at.

Last edited by Dregen : 02-14-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Dregen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
Madzää
Failing at n00b language

I really enjoyed this one, I´ll probably write a full crit later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Madzää is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
QuantumInfinity
Yeay!

Pretty nice drums as well as really interesting melodic approaches, gotta say.
Also, the part starting at bar 137 is intense, absolutely a treat to listen to, even though the snare rolls somewhat caught me off guard. Now that I think about it, it kinda reminds me of the F-Zero soundtrack for "Silence" o_O Or maybe I'm thinking about the wrong track here... *shrug*

Would really like to have some bass here though, I was sad when I realized that track is empty :I

Overall, pretty awesome stuff.

Crit me! / C4C
QuantumInfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
SoulShredder

This was incredible, love all the melodies. What were your influences for this ?
SoulShredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Dregen
andy, you're a star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madzää
I really enjoyed this one, I´ll probably write a full crit later on.

awesome, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumInfinity
Pretty nice drums as well as really interesting melodic approaches, gotta say.
Also, the part starting at bar 137 is intense, absolutely a treat to listen to, even though the snare rolls somewhat caught me off guard. Now that I think about it, it kinda reminds me of the F-Zero soundtrack for "Silence" o_O Or maybe I'm thinking about the wrong track here... *shrug*

Would really like to have some bass here though, I was sad when I realized that track is empty :I

Overall, pretty awesome stuff.

yeah dude sorry, i was gonna get around to writing a bass part for it but i kind of spaced it out lol. got busy spicing up the drums and cleaning up most of the fast bits. and i usually do the bass parts last so yeah haha, so that doesn't really help either. i'll probably try to write something later though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulShredder
This was incredible, love all the melodies. What were your influences for this ?

i don't know, nothing particularly i guess. me and one of my friends jammed a little bit of this (the part at bar 69) and i thought it was cool and decided to tab the drums and guitar, then i turned out finishing a song with it.

i don't really think of anything specific like "i want to sound like (so-and-so band)" when i write, i just kind of know how i want it to make me feel and where i want it to go. then i write it out, find some ideas/themes and elaborate on them. that's it pretty much... i would give you a definitive answer to the bands i was listening to during the time i wrote this, but i can't really remember. this was mostly written like a month or two ago lol.

Last edited by Dregen : 02-12-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:30 AM   #6
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike

I dont expect such melodic dynamics from Russian Circles that's for sure. Fantastic post rock piece.

Sounds kinda like what All Shall Parish's Memories from a Glass Sanctuary should have sounded like.

Fantastic piece.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
Ometh
nobody

I had listened to your song already, but never critted: I tend to lurk this subforum quite a bit and I like to listen to new compositions, dunno if anyone but me does this lol. And yes I do have GP6.

Like the chord progression and harmonies in the intro. I see you muted the basstrack because it's incomplete, but those 4 bars sound good. I really like the snare ghost notes, they really spice up the drums. I also like how they play with the dynamics quite a bit. The first guitar riff repeats quite a but but it doesn't sound boring, and you change it up just in time. The little guitar break at 57/62 sounds great, I love tose chords. I also like how the second guitar soon fades in. Dig this riff, sounds post rock-ish. Nice hammer ons. The next break is nice. Nice arpegiatted chords. The drums sound really natural, are you a drummer? The fast snare ghost notes sound really awesome. This piece seems to revolve quite a bit on the drums, and that's nice. The next tapping riff is pretty awesome. I know I keep talking about the drums, but goddawmn do i like 'em. The next couple drum fills sound so awesome. The blast beat fill at 173 is funny but still awesome. The next chord progression is pretty awesome as well, I love it. I love how the drums keep jamming while the guitars fade out. Overall this pretty awesome, I just wish the outro guitar riff was a bit longer. 9/10
Also, could you rec some bands that sound like this?
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
NegiTom
Banned

I really enjoyed this piece. Great harmonies and very natural dynamics. Like Ometh, I agree that your drum-work on this is incredible. I'm more tempted to say it swings towards math rock than post rock, just not in the traditional sense (bands such as Toe). I would love to hear a completed bass track with this.
NegiTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Dregen
andy, you're a star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
I had listened to your song already, but never critted: I tend to lurk this subforum quite a bit and I like to listen to new compositions, dunno if anyone but me does this lol. And yes I do have GP6.

Like the chord progression and harmonies in the intro. I see you muted the basstrack because it's incomplete, but those 4 bars sound good. I really like the snare ghost notes, they really spice up the drums. I also like how they play with the dynamics quite a bit. The first guitar riff repeats quite a but but it doesn't sound boring, and you change it up just in time. The little guitar break at 57/62 sounds great, I love tose chords. I also like how the second guitar soon fades in. Dig this riff, sounds post rock-ish. Nice hammer ons. The next break is nice. Nice arpegiatted chords. The drums sound really natural, are you a drummer? The fast snare ghost notes sound really awesome. This piece seems to revolve quite a bit on the drums, and that's nice. The next tapping riff is pretty awesome. I know I keep talking about the drums, but goddawmn do i like 'em. The next couple drum fills sound so awesome. The blast beat fill at 173 is funny but still awesome. The next chord progression is pretty awesome as well, I love it. I love how the drums keep jamming while the guitars fade out. Overall this pretty awesome, I just wish the outro guitar riff was a bit longer. 9/10
Also, could you rec some bands that sound like this?

thanks for the crit, and no i'm not a drummer lol. i wish i was but i'm not tight enough to keep the time, much less play all the shit i write. but yeah, i tried to make this song really drum-centered. a lot of my songs tend to end up that way regardless though haha, i like the guitars and such to lay down the melodies and then use the drums for dynamic contrast.

i don't know any bands that sound like this really... but i'm sure there's some band out there that does something like this lol. maybe like Tera Melos if they were way less crazy and more accessible. i don't know
Old 02-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
YesterdaysToday
Unregistered User

Overall, I think it was a nice piece, but I believe that some parts were lacking a driving feel to it. I think that a bass line accenting certain notes within whatever chords were playing at the moment would deffinately add to this piece quite a bit, but overall it was well done! Cheers for that!

Now going through a second time:

Intro:
I like that harmonies and melodies going on, but I still feel like it is lacking that oomph to it. Maybe try having guitar 2 let chords ring, and have guitar one playing both guitars melodies, while harmonizing the bass? I really like the feel of this section, as it is quite serene.

Measure 17 - 33
I love this drum pattern. That is all.

Measure 33 - 47
Nothing here except what was stated earlier.

Measure 48 - 62
I feel like the jump from 47 to 48 is too sudden. Try some drum fills or bass runs to lead into this. It should make it smoother. Another thing you could try is to simply have the drums hit both crashes, coupled with a bass drum hit at beat one of 48. Also, I feel that 56 - 57 has this same problem.

Measure 63 - 100
I really like the proggy feel that this song gets from here on out. Deffinately keep this. One thing to take a look at: the sixth note harmonies at beat one of 93, 95, 97, 99, do not work. For some reason they sound incredibly dissonant in relations with the rest of the song. Try a major 3rd, or a fifth.

101 - 104
This entire section just feels too dissonant for me. I'm not really digging it. Also, try a fade in on drums with Bass drum, snare, and low floor tom. That should give it more of a driving feel.

104 - 154
Loved it.

155 - 156
I feel like this stretches on too much. Maybe try having a guitar solo over top of that roll, or have a bass run to accompany it.

157 - 172
This is all fine and dandy here.

I don't like this too much, it feels like it hangs on for too long.

174 - The End.
I like this, but I feel like it should hang onto a chord, as I feel it ends too abruptly.

Overall, nice piece! I give it a solid 7/10!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1590350
Crit mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fassa Albrecht

Here, have one of these:

Be careful with it, I don't give many of them out.
YesterdaysToday is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: