Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
vauzac35

Can you install a humbucker in a Fender Strat?

I mean I think you can but I just want to find out for sure. I mean I don't like have to have it or anything but per say in the future I begin playing core music again could I put on in a strat or is there something else I could do to get the same heavy tone without it sounding.. you know, not right or ****ed up?

Edit:So I just found out about the Fender Wide Range, is that the same thing? If so how much would it usually cost to have it put in?(estimations)

Last edited by vauzac35 : 01-11-2013 at 10:34 AM.
vauzac35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Every strat off the production line these days is routed HSS. Some are even still HSH. Any regular production Stratocaster will allow you to install a humbucker to the bridge position. You will, however, have to purchase a new pickguard to fit the new pickup.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
UnmagicMushroom
Banded

Yeah, I think you can; a bigger hole is going to have to be cut out the body to make the humbucker fit. I don't think I could bear that, personally. Whoever does anything like that has to seriously know what they're doing.
Alternatively, some companies (like Seymour Duncan) make single-coil sized humbuckers. Not sure how they handle though.
I know a lot of metal bands use strats and variants of them, but I'm not sure they're best for metal core (unless it's a superstrat decked with humbuckers). Something that already comes with humbuckers (like Jackson or whatever) would probably be better. But that's just my opinion.

^also...didn't know that

Last edited by UnmagicMushroom : 01-11-2013 at 10:50 AM.
UnmagicMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
peskypesky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
Every strat off the production line these days is routed HSS. Some are even still HSH. Any regular production Stratocaster will allow you to install a humbucker to the bridge position. You will, however, have to purchase a new pickguard to fit the new pickup.

ahh, you forget that there are single-coil sized humbuckers, my friend.
peskypesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by peskypesky
ahh, you forget that there are single-coil sized humbuckers, my friend.

Yeah, but I've yet to play one that was near as good as a full quality humbucker. The SD lil '59 is probably my favorite, but still not as good as an SH4 or SH1N.

BUCKY
Old 01-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
vauzac35

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnmagicMushroom
Yeah, I think you can; a bigger hole is going to have to be cut out the body to make the humbucker fit. I don't think I could bear that, personally. Whoever does anything like that has to seriously know what they're doing.
Alternatively, some companies (like Seymour Duncan) make single-coil sized humbuckers. Not sure how they handle though.
I know a lot of metal bands use strats and variants of them, but I'm not sure they're best for metal core (unless it's a superstrat decked with humbuckers). Something that already comes with humbuckers (like Jackson or whatever) would probably be better. But that's just my opinion.

^also...didn't know that

I really love to look of the Strat in Artic White with the brown gold flake pick guard.. That sounds dumb but its just so perfect to me. I currently have a Jackson.. I feel like I'm in a hair metal band or something
vauzac35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Just to clarify, you do NOT have cut into your guitar to add a humbucker. Fender Strats are already routed for a humbucker in the bridge.

EDIT: Now that I think of it. My 2004 ST57 Strat was Routed SSS. Odd.

BUCKY

Last edited by JustRooster : 01-11-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
SwoobGuitar

No, your guitar will explode.
SwoobGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
tukk04
UG's Neil Young

Can You?

I genuinely found your question funny because all three of my strats are bucker'd: two hss(one with a p-rails wired as a p90 and the other with a gibby burstbucker) and one gibbed out with 2 zebra buckers and a 3 way toggle.

That being said, your question isn't stupid at all because it's better to ask than think you know.

Yes you absolutely can, for your use, I'd say a seymour duncan distortion or dimarzio super distortion would work well. Or if you're strapped for cash go for a GFS rail-bucker.

Soundcloud
tukk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
Yeah, but I've yet to play one that was near as good as a full quality humbucker. The SD lil '59 is probably my favorite, but still not as good as an SH4 or SH1N.

If you like the sound of them- and I do- Lace's Alumitone singlecoils and humbuckers are nearly identical in sound. This is deliberate, and has to do with the different technology they use.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
JelloCrust

Yes, you just need to cut a hole for the new pickup. Get a dremel, a soldering iron, and electronics diagrams and you're good to go.
JelloCrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
Controlpanel
qɐuuǝp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JelloCrust
Yes, you just need to cut a hole for the new pickup. Get a dremel, a soldering iron, and electronics diagrams and you're good to go.

Most strats are pre-routed for an HSS setup. Make sure you look at routing diagrams befor you start spewing wood all over..
Originally Posted by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Controlpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #13
steven seagull
not really a seagull

I always thought that Squiers and MIM's are routed either HSS or swimming pool, but that MIAs were always routed for whatever they had, so if you're MIA strat is SSS it'll be routed SSS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #14
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
I always thought that Squiers and MIM's are routed either HSS or swimming pool, but that MIAs were always routed for whatever they had, so if you're MIA strat is SSS it'll be routed SSS.

Depends on the year. I've owned '98 and '99 MIA's, both HSH.

I'll have to check out those alumitones.

BUCKY

Rate This Thread: