Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-18-2014, 09:11 PM   #1181
sciamwow

I've been playing guitar for a while now and my little brother wants me to teach him. I have an old Squier Sp-1 sitting in my closet with no bridge pins or strings. I tried to put an extra set of bridge pins in, but they wouldn't fit (they're too big). The guitar is 3/4 size. Does anyone know how I can find pins that fit? Preferably on guitarcenter.com, if possible
Thanks in advance!
(Also, if you have a specific URL with bridge pins that you KNOW would fit, please share!)
sciamwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:25 PM   #1182
Captaincranky

That depends on what the origin of the pins you have is. Ibanez "advantage" bridge pins have a straight shank, and won't go into an old fashioned tapered pin hole. Several other makers, (at least Crafter), has/have followed suit.

Are the pins you have tapered? How far do they go into the hole?

I have a "George's Music in my area. They have a junk box of bridge saddles, etc. that won't fit anything current, that could be your salvation.

If not, go the extra mile for the kid, break out the sandpaper, wrap it around a pin, and start twisting...

I suppose you could hit Squier/Fender's site for the parts. If they have them, be prepared to pay through the nose.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 08-18-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:12 PM   #1183
sciamwow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
That depends on what the origin of the pins you have is. Ibanez "advantage" bridge pins have a straight shank, and won't go into an old fashioned tapered pin hole. Several other makers, (at least Crafter), has/have followed suit.

Are the pins you have tapered? How far do they go into the hole?

I have a "George's Music in my area. They have a junk box of bridge saddles, etc. that won't fit anything current, that could be your salvation.

If not, go the extra mile for the kid, break out the sandpaper, wrap it around a pin, and start twisting...

I suppose you could hit Squier/Fender's site for the parts. If they have them, be prepared to pay through the nose.

I actually managed to just wedge in the pins that I have and it seems to work okay. It seems as if the hole isn't tapered, but the pins are. So wedging them in seems to make enough friction to keep the strings in. Maybe not the best thing for the guitar, but it's old and not expensive at all. Should be fine.. I hope
sciamwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:13 PM   #1184
457undead
Minnesotan

what gauge strings should i get for my acoustic? I would like something a bit heavier but idk anything about gauges when it comes to acoustic. Can you recommend specific set of strings? I like stuff like the smashing pumpkins, etc. music that is nothing too specific/out of the ordinary. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
457undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:48 PM   #1185
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 457undead
what gauge strings should i get for my acoustic? I would like something a bit heavier but idk anything about gauges when it comes to acoustic. Can you recommend specific set of strings? I like stuff like the smashing pumpkins, etc. music that is nothing too specific/out of the ordinary. thanks.
Dude, how would we know what's heavier, if you haven't told us what's on there now?

With that said, "acoustic light", (.012 to .053), is usually a good place to start.

If you want bright and chimey, get strings that are marked "80/20 brass", (sometimes marked 80/20 bronze also).

If you want a warmer sound with excellent mid range, then get "phosphor bronze". In the same gauge, of course.

EDIT: The PN# would be "EJ-17, for standard uncoated D'Addario PB. Come to think of it, if you're going to do some experimenting, it would make better sense to buy uncoated strings until you settle on a particular alloy and gauge, then buy the coated versions of the same type.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 01-04-2015 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:58 AM   #1186
457undead
Minnesotan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Dude, how would we know what's heavier, if you haven't told us what's on there now?

With that said, "acoustic light", (.012 to .053), is usually a good place to start.

If you want bright and chimey, get strings that are marked "80/20 brass", (sometimes marked 80/20 bronze also).

If you want a warmer sound with excellent mid range, then get "phosphor bronze". In the same gauge, of course.

I wouldn't know to be honest, I haven't changed the strings on it once. When you say light do you mean light as in a light gauge? What do you think about a .014 gauge? I want my fingers to hurt after playing.

edit: what about these http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...tar-strings-set

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
457undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:30 AM   #1187
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 457undead
I wouldn't know to be honest, I haven't changed the strings on it once. When you say light do you mean light as in a light gauge? What do you think about a .014 gauge? I want my fingers to hurt after playing.
Well, they would, for sure, hurt the hell out of your fingers. The trouble is they might damage your guitar, which is an almost "will damage your guitar", over time.

When people want a lot of volume and bottom end, they usually settle on "medium", .013 to .056. That D'Addario PN# would be "EXP-17". Those are coated phosphor bronze.

Personally I wouldn't stuff "heavies" on any guitar that I wasn't going to down tune, or at least tune down after I was done playing it.

EDIT: You could also try EJ-17, those are mediums, but uncoated. It might be best to use the cheaper string set until you settle on which gauge and which alloy is right for you. Then, after you figure it out, you can buy the coated versions, which will last quite a bit longer.

The part number for medium 80/20 Is EJ-12. D'Addario calls the "bronze", (instead of brass like some makers), but not "phosphor bronze". a big distinction. The neck tension on medium gauge strings is about 180 Lbs. Heavies would push that to about 200! Heavies are probably best utilized if you're going to tune your guitar to D-d standard, or lower

Last edited by Captaincranky : 01-04-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #1188
roxasthewise

hello, i want to ask something here instead of making new thread.

so i'm trying to play tapping songs on acoustic guitar, but it doesn't sound loud. any of you guys kindly have any tips to play tapping on acoustic guitar? or i need to change my guitar string or something?

btw, my tapping finger hurts after playing for awhile. *sigh*
roxasthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:56 PM   #1189
NeelK

I've been learning guitar for four months now and I directly started fingerstyle (I recently found out people learn to use the plectrum first) and just learnt to play whichever songs I liked(time in a bottle,hotel california,river flows in you,etc.) so will a 'diving in' approach cause me any problems in the future?(like I'm unable to play something without learning all the basics or I'm unable to train charizard without enough badges)
NeelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:36 AM   #1190
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I got to tour the Martin factory as a dealer the other day. It was pretty incredible. I talked with, and built some stuff with the custom shop guys, and got to play the guitars of Kurt god damn Cobain and the D-18 of Hank god damn Williams Sr. Picture proof:

https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/h...a97&oe=559C72D2
https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/h...9ef&oe=55E07ADC

Bob Logan Custom Esquire
84' Fender 62' RI Stratocaster
Custom Thinline Telecaster
LTD Viper Deluxe

15' Vox AC15C1
83' Fender Rivera Concert Reverb
08' Peavey Valveking 212

Custom/Boutique Snobby Pedals
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:39 AM   #1191
Dreadnought
Mountain diver

As a dealer? Do you work at a music shop?

Also, I'm taking my Edwinson in this weekend to get a setup in Seattle. I'm super pumped.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #1192
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Yeah, I'm a guitar tech full time. I do purchasing consulting for my company in combo gear. Basically when I'm not fixing stuff, I'm visiting vendors and letting the company know if I think their stuff is worth a snuff.

Doesn't pay much, but I get free trips to badass places.

Bob Logan Custom Esquire
LTD Viper Deluxe

15' Vox AC15C1
08' Peavey Valveking 212

Old 04-29-2015, 10:45 AM   #1193
Dreadnought
Mountain diver

Awesome, didn't know you did that

I'm assuming you primarily work on electrics?
Old 04-29-2015, 10:51 AM   #1194
JustRooster
Organ Donor

You assume correctly. I felt guilty running through that Martin factory as a Gibson Songwriter owner, but hey.

Bob Logan Custom Esquire
LTD Viper Deluxe

15' Vox AC15C1
08' Peavey Valveking 212

Old 04-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #1195
Dreadnought
Mountain diver

I'm not a huge Martin fan either (I don't really like "strummy" acoustics) but I wouldn't pass that opportunity up
Old 04-30-2015, 07:48 AM   #1196
HappyAvalon

"Spruce" Takamine Gakki.

Hello all,

I just bought this guitar in a pawn shop.
Does anyone know anything about it?
When did they drop Gakki from the name?

KJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg label.jpg (41.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Guitar.jpg (24.4 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by HappyAvalon : 04-30-2015 at 08:12 AM.
HappyAvalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #1197
Dreadnought
Mountain diver

Not only is this particular Pierre Bensusan tab on here a straight copy from his sheet music, it's not even well done. The timing is atrocious.

Now I gotta fix it and reupload it, it's bothering me so much
Old 05-04-2015, 06:40 PM   #1198
Dreadnought
Mountain diver

My Edwinson is getting fixed up for a week or so.

I have to play my Washburn until then
Old 05-14-2015, 12:26 PM   #1199
London Acoustic

Fingerstyle maestro Antoine Dufour, revolutionary singer-songwriter Jon Gomm, exciting YouTube star Luca Stricagnoli and influential solo guitarist Preston Reed will be playing on the main stage and holding masterclasses at the show on 12 & 13 September 2015.

Six-time GRAMMY Award winning ukulele player Daniel Ho, legendary 5-string banjo player Leon Hunt and folk legend Martin Carthy will also appear over the weekend.
The show, in association with Acoustic magazine is aimed squarely at providing a fully-dedicated two-day event for lovers of music, the acoustic guitar and other acoustic instruments. Visitors will have the opportunity to observe first-hand the latest products from world-renowned luthiers and manufacturers, watch the world’s top players live on our main stage and attend quality masterclass and clinics – all under one roof!

Visit http://www.londonacousticshow.com/visit/buy-tickets/ or call us on 01926 339808 to buy tickets - grab your discounted early bird tickets until 31 May!
London Acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: