Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
szanks

Alternate picking - video, check whats wrong.

Hey, its me again. I made video.

Showing off my alternate picking issues with chromatic exercise and with open E palm muted.

Its my biggest problem, i'm very very begginer and want to improve this but no idea how. Please help : ((

There's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUJEQDgmkXg
Sorry for some noises, lol. And abou video - i cant go faster with those chromatics, just cant. Tried for few weeks and cant break 95bpm +. Open E alternate picking is awful too, i just blocking myself, i dont know why.
szanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
Shor

Video is set to private btw, so no one else but you can watch it as it is right now.
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
szanks

Oh, sorry. Now its unprivate.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
Shor

Oh wow dude..you are working way too hard

First of all, you are using two different techniques for picking...and sadly neither of them are very efficient.
Your movement needs to come from the wrist.
In the chromatic stuff you seem to be playing from your fingers, and on the low E you are really straining yourself, and playing from your elbow.
Your technique shouldn't change, and it should be relaxed.

Others might point you to a clear beginners video on picking, but in the mean time,
check this video (don't mind the tempo) and observe his wrist when he's playing and compare it to the movements you're making:

edit:
With your fretting hand you should keep the thumb on the back of the neck, not wrapped around. It'll severely limit your reach.
Do yourself a favor and check out the guide to all techniques-sticky in this subforum as well.
Freepower on this forum has some great videos that might be useful to you in that thread (or on his youtube-page...which I am sure someone will find a link to).
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass

Last edited by Shor : 08-22-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
szanks

I tried to put this stupid thumb behind neck, but no way. Allthough, i know how its work. It's limiting my reach, but i dont need to have that much reach to play stuff like i want. And when i playing something more stretched my thumb automatically go more behind neck.

Okay, ill try to do it relaxed and practice it a lot. Any more advices?
Old 08-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
Dreamdancer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by szanks
I tried to put this stupid thumb behind neck, but no way. Allthough, i know how its work. It's limiting my reach, but i dont need to have that much reach to play stuff like i want. And when i playing something more stretched my thumb automatically go more behind neck.

Okay, ill try to do it relaxed and practice it a lot. Any more advices?

Agree with everything above.My advice to you..play fast exactly as you play slow.If you watch the video you picking hand constantly changes..for example when you try to tremolo pick.That has to go.Find the most relaxed position posible,grab the pick just enough so it wont fall of your hand,use mainly your wrist while keeping the whole hand TOTALLY relaxed(like you are almost bored or something) and move your totally relaxed picking stance to everything you do.For example when you tried to tremolo pick you pointed and tensed those fingers ,totally differently from what you did in the start.

That way you ll give your body mixed signals.The video posted is great.Watch how relaxed and never changing Gilberts hand is.Never changing position,tensing up...loose wrist motion and never grabbing the pick like he wants to kill it....go from there and refine your hand position as your progress .
Old 08-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

I honestly think practicing chromatics isn't all that great for improving alternate picking, and i in general am not a fan at all of practicing chromatics for pretty much anything. The patterns are really too unrealistic. You're never going to actually encounter music with straight up and down chromatic runs like in those exercises (with a few exceptions obviously) and if you do then they'll most likely sound like shit.
The only real reasoning i see behind practicing chromatics in that way is to warm up before playing or for a finger independence exercise.
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112

Last edited by vayne92 : 08-22-2013 at 10:48 AM.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
Syndromed
French guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayne92
I honestly think practicing chromatics isn't all that great for improving alternate picking, and i in general am not a fan at all of practicing chromatics for pretty much anything. The patterns are really too unrealistic. You're never going to actually encounter music with straight up and down chromatic runs like in those exercises (with a few exceptions obviously) and if you do then they'll most likely sound like shit.
The only real reasoning i see behind practicing chromatics in that way is to warm up before playing or for a finger independence exercise.

Beast and the Harlot ... hihi
Old 08-23-2013, 02:53 AM   #9
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndromed
Beast and the Harlot ... hihi

That was actually one of the only two examples i could think of believe it or not haha
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #10
szanks

Okay, i just picked up guitar and tried to apply all those tips. And well, when I force my hand to be "relaxed" its becoming much better, deffinitly. I just cant play too fast, and struggling a bit sometimes. And when playing chromatics with this wrist style it's harder to hit notes accurately. But this is ofcourse normally, isnt? I just need practice probably. I never have played this way, i'm self taught, and there's no teacher around. I'll post video showing off my technique now, but little later. Any special things which i should play to make easier to help me?

Btw: i tried to use other pick for "fast" alternate picking, before i used almost all time orange tortex ( 0,60~ ) now i tried green tortex( 0,88~ ). And with new style ( wrist, not fingers and relaxed ) it's better to play green. Thicker one. Its normal?

Last edited by szanks : 08-23-2013 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #11
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Thinner picks are bendier, that means they flex when they strike the string which has 2 consequences. Less energy gets transferred to the string meaning a weaker attack and a less defined sound, and also because the pick flexes the point is never in the same place which makes it harder to play accurately. We're talking tiny increments over miniscule amounts of time but it does make a difference, and it's magnified at higher speeds.

I'd recommend trying something even heavier - I use 1.14mm purple tortexes, that was way thicker than anything I'd ever used before when I first tried one but I've never gone back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #12
szanks

Well, i think 0.88 is best for me. I've tried many picks, the thickest one was around 1.30~ and i decided to stick with 0.88 ( They look awesome for me, in specific way btw ). I never tried Jazz III, but i bought one on internetshop and gonna try soon.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #13
szanks

Ok, there's new video.

I tried to apply every tip from you, its quite hard after few hours to addapt.
Sorry for little desync with metronome ( 80bpm ), i tried to watch my technique. Normally i play in time.
I tried to be as much relaxed as possible, and to use my wrist instead fingers.
After scale and chromatic i played open E and some raw alternate picking ignoring metronome.
As you noticed i block myself often while picking. And everything sounds really not clean and
ugly. But i hope im on good way?

Last edited by szanks : 08-23-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

The stuff at the end is physically completely different from the first half of the video. Pick one way of playing and stick with it.

Your motions are way too big to get up any real speed in both examples and your whole arm looks horrible tense in the second half.

The first half is better but I think you need to make your motion more translatory:

You're moving outward from the strings a lot which is a whole heap of wasted time and energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #15
szanks

Maybe i just need time? I'll try to play relaxed and make less movements.

Rate This Thread: