Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
GogglesVK
Forum King

Help with a new amp, please.

Budget? - I'd like to no go over $400. I just want to get rid of the shitty Spider 6 that I've had for way too long (family member bought it for me when I began playing).

Here are some things I've been looking at: http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?p...&q=&form=search

Genres? - Indie rock, some Hendrix. Silversun Pickups and Bloc Party. I'd like versatility. I don't play any metal right now, but I'm open to it.

New or Used? - Doesn't matter. I plan to buy online, through zzsounds.com, most likely.

Home or Gig? - Home, but being able to play with a semi-loud drummer friend would nice. Getting loud and still sounding nice would be sick.

Closest City? - I'm in San Angelo, TX, but like I said, I'm almost 100% going to buying online and having it shipped, so it doesn't matter.

Current Gear? - My uncle makes guitars from scratch. Pics here.

I plan on buying a Line 6 POD HD500 Multi-Effects Pedal to go with this.
If I see you on the street, and feel like it, I'll fucking murder your ass.

Check out the guitar my uncle made me
here and here.
GogglesVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Ippon
Amped

I'd go for a used Peavey Classic 30 112 - goes for ~$300.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
emerald876

If you can find a Peavey JSX combo, or a Peavey Ultra Plus combo for ~$300-400, snatch it up. I'm playing through a Ultra Plus head, got it for $225, and I LOVE IT. Awesome cleans, awesome crunch channel, awesome ultra channel.
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - Stock Eminence Legend
Peavey Ultra Plus 120 Watt Head
Rivera R412T - Loaded with Celestion V30s
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
emerald876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
ChiliPepper9

Yamaha thr10!!!! Trust me, I use my yamaha more than my 800 blackstar tube amp. Kick ass tones on that amp for such a small and cheap amp. Can't find a better amp for the price and it's louder than you'd think. I've jammed with multiple people with it and had no problems hearing myself over two other guitars and a drummer, everyone that have heard me use it think it's a bad ass amp
ChiliPepper9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
ChiliPepper9

It's got a really sick Hendrix clean by the way if you know how to set it up, and once you have it set up you can save it to a preset, bottom line, the yamaha amp will get all of the tones of the other amps on that first page and it has built in effects to add to them
ChiliPepper9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
Most_Triumphant
is being Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
I'd go for a used Peavey Classic 30 112 - goes for ~$300.

Either this or a Traynor YCV20. Both really nice amps.

Like The Who? http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/thewhoclub/
Most_Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Maidenheadsteve
I do the guitar good

Bugera 333. Cheaprer than a JSX (which are $550 or more used), with the same controls. 3 channels with independent controls.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidenheadsteve
Bugera 333. Cheaprer than a JSX (which are $550 or more used), with the same controls. 3 channels with independent controls.

All of my NO for that amp, sounds absolutly nothing like a jsx and hums like an absolute mother****er on all of its channels rendering it completely useless. I say classic 30, blue voodoo or valveking.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:49 AM   #9
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i think blue voodoo (have one and modded it recently) and had a VK100 head, for probably a year, it was a solid amp. an OD and 10 band and a dummy jack do quite a bit for it.

IMHO i think that some don't like it are people because of the people who think since its peavey and tube, they are going to get good 6505+ tone out of it. if you are expecting that, you WILL be disappointed.

but the VK is a good two channel all around rock/blues amp. it can get to some metal, but.

the blue voodoo i modded turned out to be a little bright for my tastes, but once you get it up past noon it sounds pretty good. i may be selling the BV, because i have a lot of other amps, and don't have much space left anymore.

either way +/- $250 for amp and you can find any cab for a starter cab. hell the blue voodoo blue colored cab is V30 loaded. you can often find them for less than $200
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

I love how he's mostly asking for home use and you're all suggesting big, heavy gigging amps... The THR10 would be my pick for practicing at home, I love those little ****ers.

I highly recommend finding a Line6 Flextone. Awesome even at low volume and pretty lightweight, but with tons of power for gigging. The amp is basically a POD with speakers, so you wouldn't even need to buy the HD500 to go with!

There are several on Craigslist near you (a Flextone 2 for $80 in Austin and a Flex 3 for $120 in Kyle).

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
I love how he's mostly asking for home use and you're all suggesting big, heavy gigging amps... The THR10 would be my pick for practicing at home, I love those little ****ers.
To be fair, he did say jamming with a drummer and therefore really needs a gigging amp.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
AndyGray
UG Addict

Peavey Blues Jnr about that price?
AndyGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
dlowe102

I agree with kyle62. a flextone 3 is an awsome amp on its own even the effects are good . You could also just use the power stage of the amp and use the pod hd through the effects loop and dummy jack the input . it also has a sweet direct out for recording. I use a m audio uno midi cable to also download tones from customtones.com
dlowe102 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: