Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #1
maninasuitcase

Intervals

I've been playing guitar for a little over four years, always for my own leisure and pleasure. I started taking lessons and my first one was today. I told the teacher I wanted to learn how to play by ear blah blah blah, all that real musical stuff. So the lesson was a half and hour and we worked on intervals. Got as far as major 7ths. Kind of a lot to wrap my head around but I have a week to work this out myself before I go back. So I understand let's say you start on A and you got a minor second so your note is B flat correct? And a major 6th from A is F sharp? And a perfect 5th is E? A minor 2nd from G is A flat? And a perfect 4th from G is C? So besides identifying and naming the intervals what is the most important thing I should bring into the next lesson? As I understand it the most important thing is the ear training to understand and recognize the different sound qualities of each. Is that a correct assessment? I am missing anything because that is my full understanding of the lesson and it was so compressed that I didn't have time to ask the questions that I had.
maninasuitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #2
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Seems like you have a decent handle on your intervals. While it's beneficial to memorize them, it's also good to be able to look at the neck and see them - this means you have to memorize your notes, or memorize the "shapes" these intervals create on the neck. When playing lead, not only do I use my ears to listen for what I should be playing, but I also look for intervals I can use to create interest.

Good luck!
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
maninasuitcase

Okay so you mention the shapes and patterns the intervals create. I have a piece of paper with the rules for each interval. Here is what's bothering me, take the Augmented 2nd or Minor third. The rule is across and back one step right? So from A on the low E you reach to C back to A and C on the second string. So fret wise you're going 5 to 8 on to the next string 3 to 7? and if so you can only continue the pattern one more string. This is what is really giving me pains. What am I missing here? How is anyone interval supposed to play out down the neck. Am I thinking of this incorrectly?
Old 01-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
food1010
Bassist

I'm not sure what you're asking. I think you're complicating things.

Can you find A and C all over the neck? If not, you can use the octave rules (up two strings and two frets is an octave up, except when you cross from the G-string to the B-string, then you go up an extra fret) to help you find these notes in all octaves.

If I understand you correctly, you're going from the 5th fret to the 8th fret on the low E, then going from the 3rd fret to the 7th fret on the A string? If so, then you're just going from A to C to C to E. The next octave of A is on the G string 2nd fret or D string 7th fret and then the C above that is on the D string 10th fret, G string 5th fret, or B string 1st fret.

Does that answer your question?
Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 AM   #5
maninasuitcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by food1010
I'm not sure what you're asking. I think you're complicating things.

Can you find A and C all over the neck? If not, you can use the octave rules (up two strings and two frets is an octave up, except when you cross from the G-string to the B-string, then you go up an extra fret) to help you find these notes in all octaves.

If I understand you correctly, you're going from the 5th fret to the 8th fret on the low E, then going from the 3rd fret to the 7th fret on the A string? If so, then you're just going from A to C to C to E. The next octave of A is on the G string 2nd fret or D string 7th fret and then the C above that is on the D string 10th fret, G string 5th fret, or B string 1st fret.

Does that answer your question?

I understand now. You're right I was over complicating things.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:17 AM   #6
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninasuitcase
Okay so you mention the shapes and patterns the intervals create. I have a piece of paper with the rules for each interval. Here is what's bothering me, take the Augmented 2nd or Minor third. The rule is across and back one step right? So from A on the low E you reach to C back to A and C on the second string. So fret wise you're going 5 to 8 on to the next string 3 to 7? and if so you can only continue the pattern one more string. This is what is really giving me pains. What am I missing here? How is anyone interval supposed to play out down the neck. Am I thinking of this incorrectly?

Sounds like your problem is being caused by turning intervals into patterns on the fretboard, rather than not understanding intervals per se..

If you know A to C is a minor third, all you need to do is know where A and C are on the fretboard and then play those notes. If you're having to work out where to play the next note then you need to know the fretboard a bit better.
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: