Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
JDR3009

Using multiple guitars

Does anyone else find there's some things they can play on one guitar and for some reason just can't on another? I know there's obvious things like using a trem v. a hardtail, but I mean like just playing 'universal' things.

For example, when I'm playing my Explorer I can play just about anything that doesn't need a 24th fret (within my skill level, obviously), but when I play my Demmelition I'm way sloppier and generally just worse at playing. I've never heard of anyone else having this kind of problem, weird as it is. Do you think my technique is just inconsistent or do you think that kind of thing 'just happens' sometimes?
JDR3009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
TheShred201
Back From The Dead

Assuming that you really always play better on one guitar than the other, there are a few things that come to mind. Do you have the guitars set up similarly (same string gauges, similar action height, etc.)? Another possible culprit is playing position. If you hold the guitars differently, it will change things like how bent your wrist is and how relaxed/tense it is, that can certainly affect your playing. Those are just the first two things that come to mind.

Also, particularly as it is something that you have noticed, part of it may be a mental thing, where you expect to play sloppier when you pickup the Demmelition, and thus do play sloppier on it.

Of course, it could be a combination of any of the above or various other factors.
TheShred201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

In addition to what TheShred201 said, the specs of the guitar's neck etc. can affect how it plays too- size of frets, radius, neck width and profile etc. If you just happen to prefer one guitar's neck to another (or if it's more suited to playing certain things) then you can absolutely find that one guitar plays "better" for you than another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
JD Close
Everybody Shoops

This used to happen to me, but the more you get used to playing different types of guitars, the less you'll find it happening. I recently played with a hollowbody blues-type guitar, and it took me about 20 minutes to get used to the feel and be able to take the musical 'risks' that I usually can. Essentially, if you're out of your comfort zone on a certain guitar, it may simply be a worse guitar than you're used to (Explorer's are very nice, assuming it's real), or you may need to take a bit longer to warm up on it
JD Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
intwernet
"I always have a plan."

Yes, size of frets, distance between frets, even the amount of rust (even a little bit) can be quite a difference between two guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hetfield
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is GONE.

http://www.youtube.com/user/intwernet
Guitar covers with creative editing
intwernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
JDR3009

Thanks guys, so am I right in drawing the conclusion that both sides (my own technique and the guitar's differences) matter? It's definitely worth looking at the variables you guys mentioned, and there are quite a few between an Explorer (yes JD, it's a real Explorer, so it plays great!) and a Jackson Demmelition. Maybe the differences between them had way more of an effect on my playing than I was expecting. Thank you for your help anyways!
JDR3009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #7
Gallant69

Jumping from one guitar to another is almost like driving a totally new vehicle, it always takes time to adjust, how long it takes is relative to your skill level mostly, but it's perfectly normal. It took me 2 weeks to have full control over the high level of tone on my newest stratocaster, (the texas pick ups make it so you need to control your dynamic alot more.) So yea, don't sweat it, just keep at it. Cheers!
Gallant69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #8
Papabear505

I routinely have 4 electrics and an acoustic on stage with me... I change out often... I don't usually have any issues... They sound a little different, but they all sound good...

As always... JMHO
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Papabear505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:29 AM   #9
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

I can play shreddy shit best on my ibanez rg the best because i intentionally have the action set lower than my 2 other electric guitars and have a lighter gauge of strings. That being said, it's not really a drastic difference and i can easily pick up another guitar and play just as well.
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Close
This used to happen to me, but the more you get used to playing different types of guitars, the less you'll find it happening.

Absolutely, but even with that I'd still say that some guitars excel at some types of playing/tones more than others. But definitely the more you play with different guitars, as you said, the more used to it you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDR3009
Thanks guys, so am I right in drawing the conclusion that both sides (my own technique and the guitar's differences) matter?

Yep pretty much.

And also the setup, as TheShred201 said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #11
757ian123

I can't play a lot of Hendrix type stuff on my SG because the neck is too wide for me to comfortably use my thumb to fret notes on the low E string. On my strat this is no problem.

On the other hand, I find "shredding" easier on the SG for some reason, it probably has better upper fret access or lower action or something.

Crybaby Classic Wah > Korg Pitchblack Tuner > MXR Dyna Comp > Boss Blues Driver > TC Vortex Flanger > DOD FX65 Chorus > Ditto Looper > Marshall MG100HDFX
Vox AC15C1
757ian123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #12
aerosmithfan95
Call me Billy.

Most of the time, it's due to the necks on guitars being different. My Epi LP has been with me from the start (Well, I bought it 2 months after playing). The neck on it is something that I've always felt comfortable with and is the guitar that I feel most comfortable playing.

When I play another guitar, it takes me roughly 5 minutes to get use to the shape of the neck. My Gibson-era Kramer Pacer is a prime example. Its neck is noticeably slimmer than that of a Les Paul, yet the fretboard is a bit wider (or so it feels to me). With the change, it takes some minor adjustments until I can comfortable perform on it.

Guitar --> Pedals --> Amplifier
aerosmithfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:32 PM   #13
xDaFormer

I can play faster (faster picking at least) on my Flying V than my Les Paul. But the lp has a Floyd Rose so that might effect my playing for whatever reason. And I think a lot of it is how the guitar feels to you. I can't play a Strat nearly as well as a Gibson style, so I have Gibson guitars.
xDaFormer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: