Old 07-18-2014, 10:30 PM   #12581
deadsmileyface
so very radical

bought some discworld novels today, Mort and Reaper Man
deadsmileyface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #12582
steve_muse
Never had this before

I read Mort at the beginning of summer. It's a nice, charming read. Can only take Pratchett in small doses though.
steve_muse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #12583
Bob_Sacamano
dreamy dancer

that sounds wonderful steve, i think i was gonna read Stoner next though if my library has it, anyone read it? that or Dubliners probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyFace
I think that, and what I mentioned too, is why Kafka could be taught to younger kids. I think they could really get it, and he's not gay like Shakespeare so they wouldn't be embarrassed about liking him. I also think they would pickup on a lot of the humour.

yeah kids would definitely get it i think. to me it even reminded me of Alice in Wonderland at times, as if disney could adapt a slightly less dark version in a similar way

last.fm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirvanaLuvr16
I didn't know there were black people in the UK, until recently

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Bob_Sacamano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:29 PM   #12584
neidnarb11890

Quote:
he's not gay like Shakespeare

neidnarb11890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #12585
Dreadnought
Nyctophiliac

Some quotes from The Mountains of California because it's the best

Quote:
"This is a glacier meadow. It is about a mile and a half long by a quarter of a mile wide. The trees come pressing forward all around in close serried ranks, planting their feet exactly on its margin, and holding themselves erect, strict and orderly like soldiers on parade; thus bounding the meadow with exquisite precision, yet with free curving lines such as Nature alone can draw. With inexpressible delight you wade out into the grassy sun-lake, feeling yourself contained in one of Nature's most sacred chambers, withdrawn from the sterner influences of of the mountains, secure from all intrusion, secure from yourself, free in the universal beauty. Ant notwithstanding the scene is so impressively spiritual, and you seem dissolved in it yet everything about you is beating with warm, terrestrial, human love and life delightfully substantial and familiar."

Quote:
"Thus come and go the bright sun-days of autumn, not a cloud in the sky, week after week until near December. Then comes a sudden change. Clouds of a peculiar aspect with a slow, crawling gait gather and grow in the azure, throwing out satiny fringes, and becoming gradually darker until every lake-like rift and opening is closed and the whole bent firmament is obscured in equal structureless gloom. Then comes the snow, for the clouds are ripe, the meadows of the sky are in bloom, and shed their radiant blossoms like an orchard in the spring. Lightly, lightly they lodge in the brown grasses and in the tasseled needles of the pines, falling hour after hour, day after day, silently, lovingly, ---all the winds hushed, -- glancing and circling hither, thither, glinting against one another, rays interlocking in flakes as large as daisies; and then the dry grasses, and the trees, and the stones are all equally abloom again."
Old 07-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #12586
Cianyx
dip i dip u dip dip i dip

Quote:
Plainness is one of the main qualities of "kafkaesque". People approach his works expecting the Kafka of the billboards and bullet-points where everything is just fked up all the time. There's a reason he's described more as "nightmarish" as opposed to surreal: the strangeness in his stories are not just weird but they stick out against a dry backdrop and are depicted in a very non-judgmental objective manner.

the term "kafkaesque" begets the question "which kafka?" because all of his works are distinguishably different in tone and style. i think it can be more readily applied to the castle and less to the trial and metamorphosis -- i don't believe there is a typical kafka in that regard, at least. if we were to talk about being trapped or about bureaucracy there would eb

Rate This Thread: