Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
spudsisnumber1

How to perform

Hi i wasnt sure where to post this so, i figured this would be as good a' place as any. I am begining to gig. I play guitar and sing in a band, But heres the catch. I am absolutely terrified of being in front of people. At school if there was a project that had to be presented, I would just take an F. So any way to lighten things up? I would also like to give them a decent show. So: stage fright and performance skill-age.
spudsisnumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #2
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudsisnumber1
Hi i wasnt sure where to post this so, i figured this would be as good a' place as any. I am begining to gig. I play guitar and sing in a band, But heres the catch. I am absolutely terrified of being in front of people. At school if there was a project that had to be presented, I would just take an F. So any way to lighten things up? I would also like to give them a decent show. So: stage fright and performance skill-age.

start out slowly. Figure out what you like from other artists you admire and how they move/perform. Then just by yourself (maybe in front of a mirror) just sing and play as if you were looking down at a crowd. Move that to practices. Then maybe have a few friends or parents over to a rehearsal so you can have some people to practice on. Then move it to the gigs.

I was the same way as you through school. And I was terrified the first time I got up on stage. It passed though, being on stage is actually the one place where I feel completely comfortable in front of people. It's ego boosting I guess, I'm fairly timid and quiet other wise.

Music Blog
Follow me on Twitter
scguitarking927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
spudsisnumber1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguitarking927
start out slowly. Figure out what you like from other artists you admire and how they move/perform. Then just by yourself (maybe in front of a mirror) just sing and play as if you were looking down at a crowd. Move that to practices. Then maybe have a few friends or parents over to a rehearsal so you can have some people to practice on. Then move it to the gigs.

I was the same way as you through school. And I was terrified the first time I got up on stage. It passed though, being on stage is actually the one place where I feel completely comfortable in front of people. It's ego boosting I guess, I'm fairly timid and quiet other wise.

Thanks ill make sure to try this
spudsisnumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
Spaztikko

you have to work through this - your first gig is always going to be the shittiest of your life, and the last your best.

Throw yourself in the deep end and swim, brah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinterMan22
lmao putting a 9v on yr ladybits thats just another ep of "tossing larry's salad" waitin to happen

Banging ur mum
I killed the chat thread again.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
gorkyporky
I like pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaztikko
you have to work through this - your first gig is always going to be the shittiest of your life, and the last your best.

Throw yourself in the deep end and swim, brah

I don't know about that, my last gig was pretty much crap :P

Anyway, drink one or two beers before you go on, that makes you loosen up but you are still able to play. Thats pretty much it, and also, try to have fun. Move around, jump, do whatever you see people doing at gigs and you liked. You will feel ******ed, but it looks awesome. Maybe try moving like that at practice beforehand.

If you know and practice the songs enough, its gonna go great, so no worries, and good luck!
Old 11-12-2012, 02:07 AM   #6
91RG350

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguitarking927

+1

Also.... be really familiar with the material...so you can play it even when you are out of your comfort zone. Once you've got a song down...play it 100 more times... then when you are bored with it... play it 100 more times.... then..when you hate it...play it 100 more times... then... play 100 more times but DONT go to therapy.... you'll find that you'll become really apathetic about playing it.... but you'll thank yourself once you come to play it live.... and if you happen to get audience feedback then it'll make it all worthwhile ... that song you hated will suddenly become a fun song to play again....
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:13 AM   #7
Spaztikko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RG350
+1

Also.... be really familiar with the material...so you can play it even when you are out of your comfort zone. Once you've got a song down...play it 100 more times... then when you are bored with it... play it 100 more times.... then..when you hate it...play it 100 more times... then... play 100 more times but DONT go to therapy.... you'll find that you'll become really apathetic about playing it.... but you'll thank yourself once you come to play it live.... and if you happen to get audience feedback then it'll make it all worthwhile ... that song you hated will suddenly become a fun song to play again....

Go home, you are drunk.

Quote:
lmao putting a 9v on yr ladybits thats just another ep of "tossing larry's salad" waitin to happen

Banging ur mum
Old 11-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #8
91RG350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaztikko
Go home, you are drunk.

Well Im exxagerating a little, to be sure.... but you get the idea...

When I saw you posted here, I was hoping to see that you had said "91RG350 SPEAKS THE TRUTH!!"

But.... meh.....
Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 AM   #9
Spaztikko

well...idk...but..mmhmm...possibly...

See, drunk. Cohesion please.

Quote:

Banging ur mum
Old 11-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #10
JAHellraiser

91RG350 SPEAKS THE TRUTH!!

well, slightly. I do agree that you should know your material backwards and forwards (even more so since you're singing and playing) but you dont want to play it so much that it becomes rushed and sloppy.
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:18 AM   #11
Spaztikko

Hey, it's speaketh bro. You aren't part of our two man cool kids thing.

Quote:

Banging ur mum
Old 11-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
HeartSick
Registered Drug User

It sounds superdorky, but I dance around and practice in front of the mirror. I'll even practice to my favorite songs by other bands, and imagine what it'd be like for my band to cover it. Sometimes I do something in front of the mirror and realize it looks dumb, or rushed or awkward, even though it felt like it was cool. By the time I'm performing in front of other people, I have an idea of how I look and what to do with my face and body, and I just pretend I'm a rockstar.

Also, some of the most EMBARRASSING things have happened to me on stage, like falling down, or once I took a huge gulp of champagne out of the bottle (we were playing at a wedding) and the carbonation was so intense that it burst back out of my mouth and I spit champagne everywhere, haha. I'll be embarrassed about it for about five seconds before I completely forget about it and lose myself in the music again- and EVERY TIME, someone comes up to me afterwards and says that whatever it was that I did was actually the most punk thing they'd ever seen.

So yeah, just act like a rockstar, and act like you can do no wrong. If you trip, play it off like you're too drunk to even care. If you mess up, just shout something mildly insulting, but funny, at the audience. Just have fun with it- as long as you're having fun and projecting an air of confidence, the audience will have fun.
HeartSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:40 AM   #13
91RG350

Thanks for the sentiment Hellraiser

And Spaztikko....I do recall now it was "speaketh"...

TS...I think that uber-familiarity with the material definately helps...and what someone else said about letting friends and family sit in on practice...slowly exposing yourself (shoosh, you) to larger audiences is a good idea...
Old 11-20-2012, 04:45 AM   #14
timbit2006
UG Monkey

Just remember, you're on stage with a bunch of other guys as well. All the attention isn't directly on you.
Also what 91RG350 said.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #15
cheapr2keepr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RG350
Thanks for the sentiment Hellraiser

And Spaztikko....I do recall now it was "speaketh"...

TS...I think that uber-familiarity with the material definately helps...and what someone else said about letting friends and family sit in on practice...slowly exposing yourself (shoosh, you) to larger audiences is a good idea...

91RG350's earlier advice is true sage wisdom.

Although sometimes the nerves never totally go away, being absolutely expert at your craft will be your best way of minimizing nervousness.

TS, I think you are psyching yourself out a little too much, especially when it comes to taking an F for public performances. If you pull the rip cord and bail on something like that, then life WILL bitch slap you. It doesn't get easier.

Just remember, when you are on stage performing music, you are doing something that many people wish they could do, either for lack of ability or lack of courage. Feel confident that most people in the audience will actually be in envy of you.
cheapr2keepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
schwinginbatman
Excuse me, good sir!

I know in my gig experience, knowing the songs helps greatly. The first gig I ever did, I was nervous as hell in the beginning because we opened with a song we had finished literally a half hour before. After that, it was songs that we knew like the back of our hand, and from there that nervousness and tension went totally away. That's where the fear, at least for me, comes from, is messing up the songs. When I'm confident that won't happen, I'm not nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashIsWin
It's like someone listening to some really old blues or whatever and going, "What a prick. Obviously you ****ing 'woke up this morning'. Twat."
schwinginbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #17
Creebe

i must warn you that you can get a song perfect at practise, but if you're nervous, you may still screw up.

how do you deal with this? just screw up and let it go. laugh it off.

also, no matter how nervous and anxious you are, you're gonna have to go up eventually. being up there isn't as bad as the anxiety you have hours or days before you go. so you'd be okay after you done it a few times.
Creebe is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: