Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #121
LostLegion
C.A.F.U.
 
LostLegion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: with flani alves


At 1:24. Ugh.
__________________
LIVERPOOL F.C.



Shrek Coutinho Is Love, Shrek Coutinho Is Life
LostLegion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #122
BottleOfSmoke
The Amazing Kreskin
 
BottleOfSmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beyond
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS
Songs for the Deaf is too compressed, but I still enjoy the album

It's definitely over-compressed, but I kind of like it that way. It gives the album an overall character that I don't see with a lot of records. Awesome ****ing songs + J.Ho, Lannegan and Grohl don't hurt, either
__________________
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
BottleOfSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #123
jrcsgtpeppers
Registered User
 
jrcsgtpeppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: strawberry fields
the drums are ugh? they pretty cool imo. reminds me of john frusciante drums. or whoever influenced him
jrcsgtpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #124
theogonia777
Professional Musician
 
theogonia777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Backwoods
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Fine with me.

@Ian:
Um...somehow I've a feeling you're bullshitting...


Ian is more or less the very personification of bullshitting: concentrated essence of making stuff up and getting butthurt because people won't make an effort to "debate" him on "facts" that he pulled out from under his tail.
__________________
To die without leaving a corpse... That is the way of us Garo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.


Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - The Origin of "Loombag"
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #125
jrcsgtpeppers
Registered User
 
jrcsgtpeppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: strawberry fields
Quote:
Originally Posted by █▐▌█▐▌
jrcsgtpeppers, you always make a lot of typographical errors. Do you only visit this forum when you are intoxicated or are you just a very unconscientious typist?

no, im on my phone. i hate that phone. my thumbs are too big to type on it, and the phone itself sucks dick.
jrcsgtpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #126
Ian_the_fox
Bark
 
Ian_the_fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Or you could just stop, because you're wrong.
Because I'm sure you're just a true mixing engineer.

Here, without Google, want to tell me what frequencies typically make a good kick drum sound? What adds the "punch" and what just boosts mud? Because you're clearly am expert engineer who knows his shit and can straight up say that I'm "just plain wrong."
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
Ian, stop posting, entirely.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
why did ian cross the road?

his dick was stuck in the chicken
Ian_the_fox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #127
Jako215
UG's Fat Frendo
 
Jako215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Levitown PA and you are now singing Elton John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Because I'm sure you're just a true mixing engineer.

Here, without Google, want to tell me what frequencies typically make a good kick drum sound? What adds the "punch" and what just boosts mud? Because you're clearly am expert engineer who knows his shit and can straight up say that I'm "just plain wrong."


Bottom ranges between 60 and 125Hz. Attenuating below 80 reduces boominess. Attenuating between 300 and 600 reduces dullness, thuddiness, or floppyness(600HZ) and cardboard like sound (400Hz) Boosting between 1600 and 5000Hz adds brightness, attack and snap.

The defining sounds are its low frequency punch(50-60Hz) and higher frequency attack(1.5-2.5KHz.) Muddiness and boominess that is unwanted reside around 200Hz to 500Hz. Attenuating here helps clarify and tighten the punch. Too much makes it too thin.

I used a textbook. Is that cheating?
__________________
WITH PASSION AND POWER



iSupport the Philadelphia Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, Union, and Sixers.
Dallas Sucks!

Jako215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #128
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Frozen North! (read: Northern Wisconsin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Because I'm sure you're just a true mixing engineer.

Here, without Google, want to tell me what frequencies typically make a good kick drum sound? What adds the "punch" and what just boosts mud? Because you're clearly am expert engineer who knows his shit and can straight up say that I'm "just plain wrong."

Ruffling your feathers is fun.

The frequency depends. Typically, it has a peak in the low end. (Find that by soloing the kick on a program such as Reaper, using a plugin like "ReaEQ".) As for sculpting it, you typically add a small amount of reverb. If you add too much reverb, it could sound like mud.


As for "expert engineer"? No, I'm not. However, I highly doubt you are either. I freely admit to be an amateur engineer. The question is, do you admit that?
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #129
Ian_the_fox
Bark
 
Ian_the_fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jako215
Bottom ranges between 60 and 125Hz. Attenuating below 80 reduces boominess. Attenuating between 300 and 600 reduces dullness, thuddiness, or floppyness(600HZ) and cardboard like sound (400Hz) Boosting between 1600 and 5000Hz adds brightness, attack and snap.

The defining sounds are its low frequency punch(50-60Hz) and higher frequency attack(1.5-2.5KHz.) Muddiness and boominess that is unwanted reside around 200Hz to 500Hz. Attenuating here helps clarify and tighten the punch. Too much makes it too thin.

I used a textbook. Is that cheating?
Well I was kinda wanting Sam to answer but yeah that's right.

Only with the nature of the Avatar kick I personally find that topend boosts anywhere below 5000 sound like crap.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
Ian, stop posting, entirely.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
why did ian cross the road?

his dick was stuck in the chicken
Ian_the_fox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #130
Ian_the_fox
Bark
 
Ian_the_fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
As for "expert engineer"? No, I'm not. However, I highly doubt you are either. I freely admit to be an amateur engineer. The question is, do you admit that?
Hell, I don't even call myself an engineer. I'm just some douche who knows a bit about mixing and making shit sound good. Considered going to school for it but later decided against it when i discovered it was a field with practically no jobs available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
The frequency depends. Typically, it has a peak in the low end. (Find that by soloing the kick on a program such as Reaper, using a plugin like "ReaEQ".) As for sculpting it, you typically add a small amount of reverb. If you add too much reverb, it could sound like mud
Read what Jako posted. What you stated is wrong on so many levels.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
Ian, stop posting, entirely.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
why did ian cross the road?

his dick was stuck in the chicken

Last edited by Ian_the_fox : 01-27-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Ian_the_fox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #131
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Frozen North! (read: Northern Wisconsin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Hell, I don't even call myself an engineer. I'm just some douche who knows a bit about mixing and making shit sound good. Considered going to school for it but later decided against it when i discovered it was a field with practically no jobs available.

Ok, cool.

Quote:
Read what Jako posted. What you stated is wrong on so many levels.
To be fair, Jako used a textbook.

Also, as I said, I'm an amateur. It's perfectly ok to call yourself an amateur (I'd even venture to say I'm a beginner), if you are.


That said, it's hilarious to ruffle your feathers. You always get so damn angry. Also, good job. The one time you can prove you know more than someone. Your parents must be proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jako215
I used a textbook. Is that cheating?
Which textbook? It wouldn't happen to be a mixing textbook, would it? That would be something useful for me.
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 01-27-2013 at 01:41 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #132
Ian_the_fox
Bark
 
Ian_the_fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: VA
^Feathers? I'm a fox, not a damn bird.


Also, $20 for this: http://www.systematicproductions.com/mixing-guide.htm

One of the best you'll find for that price.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
Ian, stop posting, entirely.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
why did ian cross the road?

his dick was stuck in the chicken
Ian_the_fox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #133
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Frozen North! (read: Northern Wisconsin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
^Feathers? I'm a fox, not a damn bird.

Ok, fur.


Quote:
Also, $20 for this: http://www.systematicproductions.com/mixing-guide.htm

One of the best you'll find for that price.
Ah, thank you! You're a good guy, Ian.
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #134
Jako215
UG's Fat Frendo
 
Jako215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Levitown PA and you are now singing Elton John
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Which textbook? It wouldn't happen to be a mixing textbook, would it? That would be something useful for me.


Audio in Media Ninth Edition by Stanley R. Alten. It's not strictly music but it does devote a good portion of the book to the subject. http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Media-9...k/dp/B003Z9K6OS It's a college book so it's expensive as shit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Also, $20 for this: http://www.systematicproductions.com/mixing-guide.htm

One of the best you'll find for that price.


A Nolly endorsed book. I think I know where my next $20 is going.
__________________
WITH PASSION AND POWER



iSupport the Philadelphia Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, Union, and Sixers.
Dallas Sucks!


Last edited by Jako215 : 01-27-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Jako215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #135
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Frozen North! (read: Northern Wisconsin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jako215
Audio in Media Ninth Edition by Stanley R. Alten. It's not strictly music but it does devote a good portion of the book to the subject. http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Media-9...k/dp/B003Z9K6OS It's a college book so it's expensive as shit.

Damn, I wish I had $155 to buy that.

It looks like a decent book. But, I'm looking at buying some more recording stuff soon. That $20 book looks great though.
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:21 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.