Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
joner.jones

Question How long do tube amps retain dangerous voltages?

Hello, I'm about to replace the valve in my VOX VT30 amp, which seems like a fairly simple process, but after reading up about it I've read that tube amps retain 'lethal' voltages for some time, which has me worried

Is there a usual amount of time that these voltages are retained? I've had my amp switched off for over two weeks now.

Also, can these electric shocks come from touching any conductive surface from inside the amp, or are there specific parts that are always a no-go and some parts that are fine?

All other forum posts I could find on the subject reach a - 'just take it to a professional' conclusion, but I'm looking to get educated on this too to avoid any accidents in the future.

Thanks
joner.jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Spambot_2
Custom User Title

You have nothing to fear if your amp is plugged off for more than a couple of minutes (right when you unplug it theoretically, but let's wait two inutes just in case).

Again, just in case wear rubber slipper.

Though, I'm not 100% sure about this so I'll feel a bit better if you waited for someone complitely sure to answer you before trying.
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Spambot_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

You realise that isn't actually a tube amp? It's a modeller with a tube in it. I doubt changing the tube will have any effect.
Laney VC30 2x10 combo + 1x12 extension cab
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joner.jones
I've read that tube amps retain 'lethal' voltages for some time, which has me worried

Is there a usual amount of time that these voltages are retained? I've had my amp switched off for over two weeks now.

Also, can these electric shocks come from touching any conductive surface from inside the amp, or are there specific parts that are always a no-go and some parts that are fine?

All other forum posts I could find on the subject reach a - 'just take it to a professional' conclusion, but I'm looking to get educated on this too to avoid any accidents in the future.

Thanks

the components you are worried about are the capacitors (i think it's the filter caps in particular), big cylinder looking things. they'll hold a charge for quite some time. best not to risk assuming they are not charged, standard practice is that you ground them out.

you should probably learn some general amp and electronics knowledge before poking around a tube amp.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
joner.jones

thanks for the replies, Gary i realise that but i'm changing the valve as my amp had suddenly stopped producing sound from the speaker, and after much research (and some replies i had recieved on another forum post here) - i have reason to believe the problem lies with a burnt out valve in the output stage, so just replacing it to see if this fixes the problem. I'm sure i can replace it while avoiding any capacitors, but this stuff is good to know, thanks guys! very grateful for the help.
joner.jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
JELIFISH19

There is no tube in the output stage
Boss GT-10

GAS list:
Carvin V3MC (Hot White Bronco)
JELIFISH19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Sampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JELIFISH19
There is no tube in the output stage

The ECC83 in the Valvetronix amps is in the output stage.

It doesn't do much, but it's definitely in the power section.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

To answer your question, you will not get shocked from changing a tube. There are no voltages present in that area when it's unplugged. The only thing you would have to worry about is if you opened it up and touched one of those big capacitors. You're going to be fine.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Tube amps can retain lethal voltages for quite some time, depending on design.

Fortunately for you, yours isn't a tube amp, it's a SS amp with a tube...

Change it, you'll be fine.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joner.jones
thanks for the replies, Gary i realise that but i'm changing the valve as my amp had suddenly stopped producing sound from the speaker, and after much research (and some replies i had recieved on another forum post here) - i have reason to believe the problem lies with a burnt out valve in the output stage, so just replacing it to see if this fixes the problem. I'm sure i can replace it while avoiding any capacitors, but this stuff is good to know, thanks guys! very grateful for the help.

Sounds like you've got the right expectations & doing it for the right reason - just checking
Laney VC30 2x10 combo + 1x12 extension cab

Last edited by GaryBillington : 07-16-2013 at 05:06 PM.
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
diabolical

I think you're charging a 12ax7 preamp tube in a hybrid amp, nothing to fear.

Rate This Thread: