Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
BoobsVanderbilt

Music Theory - Where Should I Start??

So, I am at a point where I am able to play songs and I have rhythm now ( and it will keep getting better as I play more and more, especially with scales as I presume that is something I will be doing when learning Music Theory, while using a metronome) . I can play songs, strum (up and down obviously), pick very easily up and down.. basically I can play smoothly on songs that are at my skill level with not much problem at all... so I've hit the point where I am not sure what to do as I have gotten past the basic chords, power chords, strumming, picking, and chaining from one chord to another.

I decided that best thing to do would be to learn and practice as much music theory, all the do and don'ts of guitar and music so I understand WHY musicians picked certain chords, notes in their songs and HOW they knew to do that and how it would sound good.

But I have no idea where to start , what steps to go through and where to basically end at.. not end, but you get what I mean.

I understand the strings and root notes. I can name what each note is on a certain fret and string ( i.e 6th string, 5th fret = A . 3rd string, 8th fret = D#.) I know B and E don't have sharps, but I don't know why that is. I know only 2 or 3 scales... so where should I begin and what steps should I take to start learning and practicing music theory??
BoobsVanderbilt is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: